Logo

• Register
  • | Login
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Gplus
  • Linkedin

Our forum Area

This is a discussion on subdomain aliases? in the Dedicated and Cloud Servers forum
I assume there's a way to do this easily, but I'm not sure how. I'm moving websites over from shared hosting, and I had some ...

Loyal Client

Question subdomain aliases?

I assume there's a way to do this easily, but I'm not sure how.

I'm moving websites over from shared hosting, and I had some people I gave websites to as

www.blahblah.com/user

I can't find any way in plesk to give people a website like that. It wants either user.blahblah.com, or www.blahblah.com/~user and either of those two options completely hoses everyone's links from elsewhere.

not good!

none of them need access to the main portion of the sites they're added to, so the subdomain thing is good enough, but I have no idea how to make their files "show up" in the right spot.

does this make any sense and can anyone help?

all about nothing! Frank Broughton's Avatar
    Are all the sites off of the same blahblah.com?

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Are all the sites off of the same blahblah.com?
    no, they're on different domains so I suppose I'd have to replicate whatever to each domain.

Plesk has different directory structure as compared to cPanel. In cPanel, subdomains are setup inside the public_html but this is not the case with Plesk.

If you have a subdomain sub.blahblah.com then the path for the subdomain in two panels will be:

In cPanel: /home/USER/public_html/sub

In Plesk: /var/www/vhosts/blahblah.com/subdomains/sub

In cPanel blahblah.com/sub and sub.blahblah.com will point to the same directory /home/USER/public_html/sub but in Plesk blahblah.com/sub will point to /var/www/vhosts/blahblah.com/httpdocs/sub and sub.blahblah.com will point to /var/www/vhosts/blahblah.com/subdomains/sub.