Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Disaster Recovery / Business Resumption plan in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
In the light of what has happened in New Orleans, and with the knowledge that Houston is also subject to natural disaster, I was wondering ...

Ron
    Loyal Client

Disaster Recovery / Business Resumption plan

In the light of what has happened in New Orleans, and with the knowledge that Houston is also subject to natural disaster, I was wondering if JAG has a Disaster Recovery / Business Resumption plan.

Dallas is 'hooked up' pretty good...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL © 2010

We do but given the extent of the damage this hurricance did to LA , we will make some changes as well.
    Greg Landis | Founder
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at QA@jaguarpc.com.

Need a Manager?

(pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Larry, Customer Service Manager

I used to be hosted at a place called TenTex. I think they're out of business now, so no harm in posting the name here...

Anyway, they had facilities in Tennessee and Texas, hence the name. Later, before folding, they started up a third facility in the Silicon Valley.

I never fully understood why they needed three facilities, but maybe Ron's question is the key...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Loyal Client
    http://www.directnic.com/ and http://zipa.com/ are currently operating in New Orleans. Impressive.

I'm sure Jaguar would do the same

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Care to share any of the current plan or your thoughts for the future plan..... or not?

Our plan includes instructions and procedures for our people and
    internal systems. As we are out of all flood plains and we are 60 miles north of a direct hit, we have been advised that the reinforced roof fasteners rated at 90 miles per hour would be sufficient.

We did a study and in the past 33 years (including a level 5 hurricane) the maximum wind speed in our zip code was reported at 69 miles per hour. We feel that we have done a good job at mitigating risk but thats not to say we dont plan on just not ever experiencing a disaster.

Depending on the scenario we would take different measures, at different locations, but you guys could find your sites served out of dallas rather quickly if this building fell apart.
    Greg Landis | Founder

Need a Manager?

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag
    Depending on the scenario we would take different measures, at different locations, but you guys could find your sites served out of dallas rather quickly if this building fell apart.
    That's the line I was looking for. Is Dallas geographically far away enough? Probably. Great news.

I was hoping to read that you send some tapes or discs or whatever offsite once in a while, too.

I'd guess that when the Houston FD comes in and puts out the fire above the data center, and won't let you in to scrape the bits off the floor, we'll all be happy that at least there'll be a week-old data set somewhere. Even if it's just server and DNS configs. I can reload my site from here, maybe.

Loyal Client
    JaguarPC is over on the west side of town, near Bellaire. I live on the east side of town, where it says Pasadena. I'm about 20 minutes out of JaguarPC's location, without traffic. I'm about 40 minutes out of Galveston without traffic. So, roughly, that makes JaguarPC somewhere about an hour from Galveston. Map of Galveston to JaguarPC.

In Houston, what we call a "direct hit" would be where it make land fall right on Galveston. JaguarPC is quite far from that location so they wouldn't be affected too bad. I wasn't a client at the time, but if JaguarPC survived June 2001, flooding isn't going to be a problem for them. Tropical Storm Allison put every major road way in the city underwater.

Exhibit A | Exhibit B | Exhibit C | Exhibit D*

*Exhibit D is a picture of a section of the Southwest Freeway near the Compaq Center, now Lakewood Church. Here is a picture of Lakewood's location. JaguarPC is located between Weslayan and the West Loop on the south side of the freeway in that picture. Note: Businesses are not as low as the freeway. They are above. The bridges are the cross overs and represent the height of the "feeder" road.
    Last edited by Rye Seronie Oh; 09-04-2005 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Including a map from Galveston.

Katrina made me realize how much I love living in the northeast. Yeah, it's cold as hell in the winter but nothing like this could ever destroy New England. The worst we ever get is a big blizzard like one last year that dumped 3 feet in about 36 hours. But that's nothing compared to this.
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by clio
    Katrina made me realize how much I love living in the northeast...
    Yeah, me too! I moved here to get away from ppl like that. Now they're sending these looters, rapists, and murders to Arizona... Maybe I'll join you 'up north'. Got an extra bed? I don't eat much...

Loyal Client
    You guys can still get hurricanes and something I've heard of called a 'noreaster in the North East...

Kansas only has tornados... (And really cool thunderstorms)

The northeast goes get the noreasters, but other than on a few rare occasions, we're usually dug out of them within a couple days. Rarely do our winter storms cause structural damage to buildings (the resulting melting and refreezing snow on roofs sometimes does, though) and very few of our storms cause mre than a handful of deaths.

Rochester gets ice storms every so often and those cause damage from downed tree limbs and whatnot, but we're usually up and running again within a week.

Clio, the northeast was hit with a Category 2 hurricane, named Gloria, in 1985. It made landfall on Long Island and ravaged much of New England for about a day. I was 8 at the time, so I don't remember much about it, other than having the day off from school and watching out the window of my grandmother's house as everyone's garbage flew around the neighborhhod.

I think every area of the country has some kind of severe weather at some point or another. I'm used to the winter storms, I can handle them. I'm not sure I could handle tornados or hurricanes just like some southerners probably couldn't handle two feet of snow in 24 hours.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rye Seronie Oh
    JaguarPC is over on the west side of town, near Bellaire. I live on the east side of town, where it says Pasadena. I'm about 20 minutes out of JaguarPC's location, without traffic. I'm about 40 minutes out of Galveston without traffic. So, roughly, that makes JaguarPC somewhere about an hour from Galveston. Map of Galveston to JaguarPC.

In Houston, what we call a "direct hit" would be where it make land fall right on Galveston. JaguarPC is quite far from that location so they wouldn't be affected too bad. I wasn't a client at the time, but if JaguarPC survived June 2001, flooding isn't going to be a problem for them. Tropical Storm Allison put every major road way in the city underwater.

Exhibit A | Exhibit B | Exhibit C | Exhibit D*

*Exhibit D is a picture of a section of the Southwest Freeway near the Compaq Center, now Lakewood Church. Here is a picture of Lakewood's location. JaguarPC is located between Weslayan and the West Loop on the south side of the freeway in that picture. Note: Businesses are not as low as the freeway. They are above. The bridges are the cross overs and represent the height of the "feeder" road.

This location was not in the water in 2001, in fact it was opened at that time for other businesses to flee to temporarily. Of course that was before we came here to Texas though.
    Greg Landis | Founder

Need a Manager?

Loyal Client
    I'm not sure I could handle tornados or hurricanes just like some southerners probably couldn't handle two feet of snow in 24 hours.
    Down here (GA), everybody freaks out when it snows more than a little bit, lol. If it even sticks to the ground, schools and businesses close. So yeah, we're pretty stupid when it comes to snow.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast