• Register
  • | Login
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Gplus
  • Linkedin

Our forum Area

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on VPS vs Semi dedicated in the Sales, Pre-Sales, Specials and Coupons forum
Hi Guys I currently have reseller hosting with another company and I need to have a bit more control over everything. Can someone please explain ...

JPC Member

VPS vs Semi dedicated

Hi Guys
    I currently have reseller hosting with another company and I need to have a bit more control over everything.
    Can someone please explain the differences between VPS and semi dedicated hosting and which way would be better for me?

I currently host about 100 sites which are a mix of shopping carts, Joomla and sites designed in basic html etc.

Thanks

Graham

Hello Graham,

This is a common question around here...

Point Blank, you are selling hosting so you MUST use a VPS and not a semi dedi...

A semi dedi, or SDX is essentially ONE shared hosting account on a massive server.. What sets it apart from standard shared hosting is that there are only about 20-25 users per server instead of the normal 120-150...

An SDX cannot be used to sell hosting from since it is a basic shared account on steroids, as some say.

A VPS is essentially a dedicated server with less resources. A VPS node usually contains 20-25 users I do believe. A VPS offers full root or administrator access and you can completely customize the settings and software on the server. On a VPS, you are given a small slice of one huge server node in the form of a virtual enviroment... In this enviroment, you have your own copy of your OS of choice installed along with your own mysql, mail, and other server processes installed. You can completely customize the VPS to suit your needs...

I currently am on an Apollo VPS and it runs great... I am using cPanel as my control panel and CentOS 5 as my OS. I would highly recommend that you take a look at the following site to better understand what a VPS is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server

Hope that helps,
    Daniel
    -Daniel

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce today would cost $100, get a million miles to the gallon, and explode once every few weeks.

My scripts never have bugs. They just develop random features.

Ron
    Loyal Client
    You could use a reseller account to manage all of your sites. If you want root access to them all, though, you will need to go with a BPS or Dedicated solution.

Check out my site (just click on the uptime icon in my sig) to see how great a reseller machine runs.
    Good luck

As far as I can tell a VPS is still a shared server. The difference is based on the amount of control you have.

With a VPS you have the same type of control (root access) that you would have on a dedicated server.

On a standard reseller account you would have more control, but but not as much as you would get with a VPS.

SDX is basically a shared account on Steroids. You would not have anymore control than any other shared account.

I think you need to assess what level of control you need.

Upgrading from one type of account to another is easy.

Forum Moderators - Jag Staff

Spam Whackers Blog - Dedicated to fighting Spam and providing General SEO Tips
    Organize your Kitchen or purchase Kitchen Accessories at Condells
    Ihelpyou Forum - Dedicated to "Best Practices" SEO

Quote Originally Posted by Connie
    I think you need to assess what level of control you need.

Upgrading from one type of account to another is easy.
    Good point Connie, however, he specifically stated he is selling hosting, therefore, an SDX will not suffice...
    -Daniel

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce today would cost $100, get a million miles to the gallon, and explode once every few weeks.

My scripts never have bugs. They just develop random features.

there is no access to WHM in SDX, isn't?
    WebHostingTalk now in portuguese
    www.webhostingtalk.com.br venha se juntar a nossa comunidade sobre hospedagem web

Loyal Client
    Hi Winger,

No, SDX plans would not give you access to WHM. Only, our Reseller, VPS, and Dedicated plans would give you access to WHM/cPanel.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to jump on live chat or send us an email.

Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Jeff View Post
    No, SDX plans would not give you access to WHM. Only, our Reseller, VPS, and Dedicated plans would give you access to WHM/cPanel.
    Then, again, nothing is static here!

Maybe it's time for JagPC to consider adding limited WHM functionality to SDX accounts (like generating your own CSRs or whatever), yes?

It's only a click away...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

all about nothing! Frank Broughton's Avatar
    I second that notion...

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_DBS View Post
    Hello Graham,

This is a common question around here...

Point Blank, you are selling hosting so you MUST use a VPS and not a semi dedi...

A semi dedi, or SDX is essentially ONE shared hosting account on a massive server.. What sets it apart from standard shared hosting is that there are only about 20-25 users per server instead of the normal 120-150...

An SDX cannot be used to sell hosting from since it is a basic shared account on steroids, as some say.

A VPS is essentially a dedicated server with less resources. A VPS node usually contains 20-25 users I do believe. A VPS offers full root or administrator access and you can completely customize the settings and software on the server. On a VPS, you are given a small slice of one huge server node in the form of a virtual enviroment... In this enviroment, you have your own copy of your OS of choice installed along with your own mysql, mail, and other server processes installed. You can completely customize the VPS to suit your needs...

I currently am on an Apollo VPS and it runs great... I am using cPanel as my control panel and CentOS 5 as my OS. I would highly recommend that you take a look at the following site to better understand what a VPS is.

Virtual private server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope that helps,
    Daniel
    Thanks

SDX is being replaced with our cloud offering, it will go into effect to replace sdx next week. SDX product is replaced by the cloud.

And to pre-emp the next question:
    Business (Cloud) 100gb disk, unlimited b/w, free ssl, free domain, free rvsitebuilder, 100 WHM/cPanel accts $29.95 ($23.95 when paid yearly)

And this is above a VPS, nobody shares your resources in any fashion, ram, disk, cpu, etc.

I also would have to contradict what someone said before, VPS is nothing like shared servers. Each container has its own resources as well, full root, its the first step for alot of clients leaving reseller plans. If you don't have many clients yet go with a reseller plan, or a low range vps, or for the most muscle per dollar the cloud.
    Last edited by JPC-Greg; 04-15-2013 at 05:07 PM.
    Greg Landis | President/CEO
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at QA@jaguarpc.com.

Need a Manager?
    (pm) | (email) Zach, Chief Customer Officer
    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Masood, Chief Technical Officer

Loyal Client
    SDX going to Cloud services. Sounds cool...

I am currently a Semi-dedicated user, but I currently pay under $20/month. Will my SDX service be updated to the Cloud?

JPC Dream Team
    Yes, all semi dedicated clients will be migrated to the cloud.
    Ross P.
    Customer Service Representative
    Sales: (888) 338-5261
    JaguarPC http://www.jaguarpc.com
    Celebrating 15 years in reliable web hosting!

Like us on Facebook! -- http://www.facebook.com/jaguarpc
    Follow us on Twitter! -- http://twitter.com/#!/jaguarpc
    Read our blog -- http://blog.jaguarpc.com/

How are we doing? Tell us at qa@jaguarpc.com.

Sorry, had an error in my pricing. But yes its still more expensive. We are sending out the notice about the sdx -> cloud upgrades, it will include the info on the additional price. It will include a note that basically says contact us if this is not something you wish to have done. We find an alternative for you but all semi-ded machines are coming out of service.

Most sdx clients are already paying for a legacy account that isn't the 19.95 one. But since we do have some on that one they will need to decide. For those we can offer the yearly price on monthly terms. But the product is infinitely more robust, redundant, and we have to make money.
    Greg Landis | President/CEO
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at QA@jaguarpc.com.

Need a Manager?
    (pm) | (email) Zach, Chief Customer Officer
    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Masood, Chief Technical Officer

Loyal Client
    Hi there. I'm currently using 3 VPS with cPanel and 60 domains each. I need a robust solution because VPS are having emergency stops too often lastly. the current uptime is about 95%! It's a shame.
    I'm using the smaller VPS plans, so I need something with an uptime more close to the offered 99.9% and an offer that don't increase the monthly cost that much.
    What would you suggest? Hybrid servers? Dedicated?

Another question: I see price list for hybrid servers but do you offer Semi dedicated and cloud servers? what's the difference between them?

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast