Our forum Area

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on PHP4: End of life in the Suggestions and Feedback forum
PHP core developer Derick Rethans announced the end of life date for PHP4 today. The PHP team has decided support for PHP4 will be dropped ...

PHP4: End of life

PHP core developer Derick Rethans announced the end of life date for PHP4 today. The PHP team has decided support for PHP4 will be dropped at the end of this year. After december 31, 2007 no new (security / bug fixed) releases will be made. So, you've still got the rest of the year to update your applications to PHP5.

Personally, I wouldn't mind this. With PHP5 (stable) available for over three years by then, it would seem about time, right? However, given the still very, very large base of PHP4 installed, forcing the issue like that wouldn't seem a very responsible thing to do. So, I think the fact that, as he puts it, he can finally announce this today, says enough .
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

Well, at least that proves 'Global Warning' is real...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Rob
    Scripts that were programmed in PHP4 will run on a php5 platform if memory serves me correctly
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Scripts that were programmed in PHP4 will run on a php5 platform if memory serves me correctly
    Not always, but in most cases.

This is just the natural progression, php6 I am sure will be in Beta, probably even RC or Final by then
    -------------------------
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

The only major issue that exists in migrating from PHP4 to PHP5 is DOM-based XML processing, if I remember correctly. PHP5 dropped the XML DOM object in favor of the DOM object. The DOM object is W3C Level 3 DOM compliant and works about the same as the DOM parser used in most modern browsers, whereas there are several differences in the implementation of the older XML DOM.

While I'd personally recommend that people upgrade their code to use the newer DOM parser, it is possible to install the older parser as an extension to PHP5, so hosts can transition without disrupting their clients too much. JPC does not to appear to ahve done this yet, but if asked I'd imagine they would (especially if they decide to drop PHP4 when the PHP team does).

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Yeah, whatever...

I'll worry about it when WHM/cPanel decides to get their act together!

We're using like, what, a two year-old version of PHP 4?

We should be okay until 2009, at least!
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Ron
    Loyal Client
    I'm thinking this was announced on 4/1
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I'm thinking this was announced on 4/1
    Heh!

That would be a good one...

My favorite comment:
    Sara Golemon - Sunday, 1st of April, 2007; 18:34:39
    Ding dong the *itch is dead....

JPC-Ben
    Hi All,
    Whilst not wanting to alarm you, if you look into it you will find many if not most PHP4 Scripts will not work on PHP5 hence why we currently offer both PHP4 and 5 as seperate installations on the majority of our shared servers and not just PHP5. It would have of course been a much more practical solution for the developers to integrate the backward compatability for PHP4 and indeed all prior versions into PHP5. Hopefully they may think about this and offer it in 6. It'd certainly be a much better solution that having to change versions or even extended release to accomodate particular scripts. MySQL can be just as bad mind you in terms of compatability. We certainly will still be offering PHP4 for quite some time though i would assume.

Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Ben View Post
    It would have of course been a much more practical solution for the developers to integrate the backward compatability for PHP4 and indeed all prior versions into PHP5.
    Practical for whom? Why is it "practical" that several years outdated software still runs flawlessly? Do you like for example hunting down the same security and performance issues resolved years ago year in year out? What are you talking about here? It sounds almost like you're still pissed off that your favourite Windows 3.11 app won't run on XP .

Backwards compatibility between PHP versions is really very good, compared to other products. Or, as some have put it, there are more compatibility issues between 4.3 and 4.4 than between 4.4 and the 5.x versions. For comparison: issues with getting software ready for Windows Vista are much larger. It won't take a developer much time to get his applications ready for PHP5. It's only old, no longer maintained applications that will get left behind.
    Hopefully they may think about this and offer it in 6.
    Eh.. you are kidding, right? If you've taken any look at all at what PHP6 has to offer, you know that it will among other things be a major clean up release, doing away with outdated things like register globals altogether. It's mainly this and other security related changes that will force applications to get with the times.
    We certainly will still be offering PHP4 for quite some time though i would assume.
    Really? How, when this is not an April fools joke anymore, are you going to do that? You want to assemble a JagPC team to security-fix an outdated PHP for you?
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Vin DSL View Post
    Well, at least that proves 'Global Warning' is real...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
    If you've taken any look at all at what PHP6 has to offer, you know that it will among other things be a major clean up release, doing away with outdated things like register globals altogether...
    Guess I was being too enigmatic!

Thought you might get it...

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Wim,

How can you not understand what it takes for a major corporation to undergo an upgrade of a mission-critical component of its systems, or of a desktop operating system?

Literally YEARS are spent planning and rolling out upgrades of desktop operating systems. Ensuring compatibility with all mission critical desktop applications, coordination of upgrades of mission critical apps that need it, Training of employees at all levels for the new applications AND the new OS, training of the help desk and other support staff to be able to resolve issues, beta rollout, pilot rollout and then general rollout. You can't have a dozen employees sitting around unable to work because their machines are down. I've been through several of these over the years.

The process to upgrade a major component of an externally used mission-critical application is painstaking, and if a major underlying infrastructure changes, like PHP, every application that depends on it must be put through regression testing. They can't take the approach that is taken here by Jag's customers of "well, ok make the change and if something breaks I'll fix it on the fly."
    Good luck

Ron: I have no clue what you're refering to. The trials and tribulations of neither software development nor software roll out are under debate, IMHO. I just don't think it is a good idea to sketch unsurmountable transitition problems, as Ben seemed to do. That only discourages folk from figuring out what keeps their sites from going for PHP5 while they still can do so at leisure. A) It's not that bad and B) sooner or later one has to make the plunge anyway.

Vin: that was sorta why I was posting it. PHP 5 has been around for 2,5 years now. It doesn't hurt folk to start to realize that PHP 4's life will end at some point in the no longer all that distant future and start preparing accordingly. Because as Ron indicates, it takes time to upgrade anything without "ran out of time" hickups.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---

It started an April fools joke but it's official now: PHP4 will no longer be actively developed after December 31. There'll be security fixes till August 8 2008 though.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Less than 1 year of security fixes after end-of-development?
    About 1 year of security fixes after announcement of end-of-life?

That's awfully short, isn't it?

I think there will be lots and lots of business establishments scrambling and upset because of this. I think it will cause them to re-evaluate their use of this language.
    Good luck

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast