Logo

• Register
  • | Login
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Gplus
  • Linkedin

Our forum Area

This is a discussion on SSL on Webhosting/Shared Sever in the Website Management forum
Hi, New to SSL. Has anyone had any experience having an SSL installed on their shared server for an add-on domain? I am looking at ...

Loyal Client

SSL on Webhosting/Shared Sever

Hi,

New to SSL. Has anyone had any experience having an SSL installed on their shared server for an add-on domain? I am looking at grabbing a cheap one from Godaddy to install. Would the cert just cover a single domain and/or sub-domains and could I transfer/reuse the cert for another of my domains if I want to change domain names?

Thanx.

JPC Dream Team
    Hi Juunin,
    It depends, but most of the cheaper SSL's only support 1 hostname such as https://domain.com OR https://www.domain.com, it won't work for both. If you want to use a SSL on an addon domain with us, we charge a one time $15 fee to set it up as it requires manual work.

I doubt you can change the domain on the SSL either, we aren't able to do that on our RapidSSL certificates. Once it's issued, that's it.

Good luck!
    Ross P
    Customer Service Representative

How are we doing? Tell us at qa@jaguarpc.com.

Ron
    Loyal Client
    StartSSL Free.
    For a verified SSL, it's $59 for 2 years.

You've asked a gazillion questions here.

On a shared server you will need to have (and pay for) a unique IP address in order to have your own SSL.
    Subdomains will require their own cert, and their own IP addy as well, unless you get a wildcard SSL. I think.
    Addon domains, same issues.

Once you validate with StartSSL you can create your own certs, but I'm not sure what info they will convey to those investigating, it might be your name, not the website's name.
    Last edited by Ron; 11-07-2011 at 02:02 AM.
    Good luck

Loyal Client
    JP-Ross, Thanks for the information. I most likely will have to opt for a fixed IP address for each add-on domain that I want an SSL cert too?

JPC Dream Team
    Hello,
    That is correct, each SSL domain need it's own dedicated IP address.
    Kind regards.
    Ross P
    Customer Service Representative

How are we doing? Tell us at qa@jaguarpc.com.

Loyal Client
    Thanks Ron, Checking out StartSSL. I wonder too what info is public for the cert. They seem to have identity documentation requirements for their free service as well.