• | Login
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Gplus
  • Linkedin

Our forum Area

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Imap idle in the You've got Mail forum
Do the servers have IMAP IDLE enabled? If so, is there anything we need to do to use it and is there anything we need ...

Imap idle

Do the servers have IMAP IDLE enabled? If so, is there anything we need to do to use it and is there anything we need to be aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by baldtechnologist View Post
    Do the servers have IMAP IDLE enabled? If so, is there anything we need to do to use it and is there anything we need to be aware of?
    AFAIK, IDLE support is enabled on JagPC mail servers.

Here's a test: http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=24
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

(1 hour -- and 3 cups of coffee -- later)

Hrm...

Now you got me curious.

Why do you need to push your mail?

You building a Crackberry server or something?!?!?
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Loyal Client

Recent problems with courier-imap processes

I was curious to read this, as I just recently began having problems with courier-imap processes on my own account. I was having difficulty logging in via ssh, and getting -jailshell: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable error messages. A response to a support ticket mentioned that I had 40 courier-imap processes running, and that this was the reason I was having difficulty.

I'm still pursuing this with Support: I'm only checking email every 15 minutes, and those processes don't go away in between checks, so... is that an IDLE issue? I have two accounts that I'm checking via Mail.app, one with "Use IDLE if available" checked and one unchecked, and both processes appear the same:

Code:
    username 14036  0.0  0.0   3288   940 ?        S    13:19   0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd /home/username/mail/domainname1.com/rwhite
    username 14037  0.0  0.0   3396  1080 ?        S    13:19   0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd /home/username/mail/domainname2.com/rwhite
    username 14050  0.0  0.0   3288   936 ?        S    13:19   0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd /home/username/mail/domainname1.com/rwhite
    username 14051  0.0  0.0   3288   816 ?        S    13:19   0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd /home/username/mail/domainname2.com/rwhite
    username 14062  0.0  0.0   3552  1112 ?        S    13:19   0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd /home/username/mail/domainname1.com/rwhite
    username 14065  0.0  0.0   3288   816 ?        S    13:19   0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd /home/username/mail/domainname2.com/rwhite
    username 14067  0.0  0.0   3288   940 ?        S    13:19   0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd /home/username/mail/domainname1.com/rwhite
    username 14073  0.0  0.0   3288   820 ?        S    13:19   0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd /home/username/mail/domainname2.com/rwhite
    The times listed are when the initial check for mail was performed. 15 minutes later, the processes are still there. Tech support suggested I give time for these processes "to die out." Not really sure what that means...

The 40 processes mentioned at one point are due in part to the fact that I'm checking these accounts on up to 4 different devices. And on a separate note, I'm still having a hard time understanding why these processes, which are causing no significant load on the server, to interfere with my ability to connect.

Any ideas?

Still pursuing this with tech support... I'll post any results.

Richard

Sorry for the slow response Vin. IMAP IDLE seems like a better solution than regularly polling my account every X minutes, but I recently ran into the same problem Richard noted - the dreaded Resource temporarily unavailable. The support tech listed the processes I had running and asked me to reduce the number of mail connections if possible. (I'm also battling a separate process issue due to spammers hammering the WordPress comment post script.)

So, as I was running IMAP idle, I was confused as to why my e-mail account was running 4+processes for my single e-mail account. My first thought was that IDLE wasn't enabled as my assumption was that IDLE would only need one process. I'm not sure if that's the case or not.

So, in digging around the Net, I've learned that Mail.app opens four connections when it checks for mail to improve performance. Once Mail.app is shut down the processes go away.

Richard and I have the same problem. Multiple e-mail accounts accessed via Mail.app, each opening four connections.

My thought on the 'Resource temporarily unavailable' error is that we have a cap on the amount of processes allowed to run in our jailshell, and once e-mail has filled it, jailshell won't allow us to run any command outside of the most basic traversal of the file structure.

So, now I'm going to look around to see if there's a solution I can implement on the client-side to reduce concurrent connections from four to two. I'm definitely open to other suggestions.

Sounds like some sort of fork bomb protection has (wisely) been enabled. You would undoubtedly get the same error message running BASH. It's a group setting...

I doubt that 'they' would do away with process limitations for you, but maybe they could back it off a tad for shell only.

Hrm...

Interesting!

Yeah, I don't expect them to limit the overall processes, which is why I'm attempting to limit it on the client side. It would be nice if they ensured that you could always run 'ps', 'top' and 'kill' to ensure that you could eliminate run-away processes.

Time to go throw that request in the ticket...

Ron
    Loyal Client
    I just got the same error

Code:
    fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
    while I was just running in my shell. I did notice that (webalizer) stats for my domain were running, and they run under the userid of the domain.

I think you guys are right, this must be some sort of a kernal and/or configuration change -- I'm going to open a ticket.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I think you guys are right [...]
    Whoa!

Hold on...

I fell out of my chair!

(I'm also battling a separate process issue due to spammers hammering the WordPress comment post script.) [...]
    Hrm...

I thought I remembered seeing WP in this thread.

Er...

I noticed (last week) that some bogus code had been injected into my WP web site. The site was loading slow as snot, and I saw a weird URI coming up in the status bar in my browser, while I was waiting for the page(s) to load.

I did a little Google'ing, and found out which file the perps were using (based on the URI I was seeing). I fixed it, and updated WP.

Here's a sample article: http://www.articleonlinedirectory.co...ction-fix.html

And, another: http://kikolani.com/latest-wordpress...resources.html

Have you experienced any injection problems???

There are a LOT of WP vulns being reported lately...
    Last edited by Vin DSL; 04-19-2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added links

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Good Lord-- support replied essentially that they logged in and everything is now running fine, please give me your login credentials and what commands they can do to recreate the issue. Sigh...

I have so little patience these days.
    Good luck

Good Lord-- support replied essentially that they logged in and everything is now running fine, please give me your login credentials and what commands they can do to recreate the issue. Sigh...

Same here. Unacceptable. Releasing the Kraken.
    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer

Need a Manager?
    (pm) | (email) Zach, Director of Sales and Service
    (pm) | (email) Masood, Chief Technical Officer

Helpful Links
    Knowledge Base | Network Status | Current Specials

Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Les View Post
    Releasing the Kraken. [...]
    Bwahahahaha!

Thanks, Les! I needed that!!! First gut-buster today....

Best to not try swimming in ocean then, dog man!

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin DSL View Post
    Best to not try swimming in ocean then, dog man!
    I have no clue what you mean.

Then again, I try not to take my oceangoing advice from residents of the High Desert anyway, at least not until after the Great One (8.X temblor) or AGW makes it oceanfront property.

Thanks for Kraken me up, Les.
    Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast