Logo

• Register
  • | Login
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Gplus
  • Linkedin

Our forum Area

This is a discussion on forbidden error with formmail trap in the You've got Mail forum
I'm trying touse the script outlined below to bust spammers: http://spam.abuse.net/adminhelp/fmreporter.txt Problem is, when I try to request formmail.pl and formmail.cgi from /cgi-bin/, I keep ...

Loyal Client

forbidden error with formmail trap

I'm trying touse the script outlined below to bust spammers:

http://spam.abuse.net/adminhelp/fmreporter.txt

Problem is, when I try to request formmail.pl and formmail.cgi from /cgi-bin/, I keep getting 403 (permission denied) errors. I double checked the mod_rewrite settings (see below) and they should be correct...

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteBase /trap
    RewriteRule ^formmail\.pl$ formmail.php
    RewriteRule ^formmail\.cgi$ formmail.php
    RewriteRule ^FormMail\.pl$ formmail.php
    RewriteRule ^FormMail\.cgi$ formmail.php
    RewriteRule ^Formmail\.pl$ formmail.php
    RewriteRule ^Formmail\.cgi$ formmail.php

These are the errors in my error log:
    [Thu May 1 15:25:30 2003] [error] [client 68.xx.xx.xx] client denied by server configuration: /home/xxx/public_html/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi
    [Thu May 1 15:23:34 2003] [error] [client 68.xx.xx.xx] client denied by server configuration: /home/xxx/public_html/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi
    [Thu May 1 15:21:06 2003] [error] [client 68.xx.xx.xx] client denied by server configuration: /home/xxx/public_html/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi
    [Thu May 1 15:17:54 2003] [error] [client 68.xx.xx.xx] client denied by server configuration: /home/xxx/public_html/cgi-bin/FormMail.pl
    [Thu May 1 15:17:43 2003] [error] [client 68.xx.xx.xx] client denied by server configuration: /home/xxx/public_html/cgi-bin/formmail.pl

What's up ?

Loyal Client
    I believe formmail was disabled by admins to reduce abuse of this script. Just rename it to something else, that should fix it

Loyal Client

Talking actually...

I want people to be able to hit formail.cgi and formail.pl, especially the spammers, That's why i need this to work. Essentially I've place a hacked up version of formmail on my account so that when a spammer hits the URL, it sends an abuse notice to their ISP with all the information needed to shut down their happy little spamming butts... Its not the real formmail, but a spammer trap.

Interesting concept, but you'd have to take that up with support (i.e. open a ticket).

As Gerilya pointed out: the name 'formmail' has been banned, which has been applied through a server configuration file above your .htaccess (probably the main httpd config file).

So if you're trap is to be set only jaguarpc can do it (and would probably do it server or server park wide).

Besides that: there's a directive somewhere on these boards asking you to let support pre-approve any script using mod_rewrite because mistakes in some of those scripts have been a major cause of server troubles in the past.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store