Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on PHP: Installed software? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hi, How do I figure out what PHP utilities are already running on the server and how to use them? I am for example looking ...

Question PHP: Installed software?

Hi,

How do I figure out what PHP utilities are already running on the server and how to use them?

I am for example looking for:
    - the database abstraction offered by PHP Lib
    - access to PHP MyAdmin (but not through the control panel: it's for someone who helps me out but should not have full access to my whole account).

Of course, I can install these things myself (I think), but aren't they already there?

Thanks, Wim

JPC Staff
    Gwaihir,
    1. Try phpinfo --- this should report a little of what you are looking for.

PHP Code:
    <?phpinfo(); ?>
    2. http://www.phpwizard.net/projects/phpMyAdmin/ --- You can install phpMyAdmin to a password protected directory like .com/phpMyAdmin as long as you correctly setup the package.
    James Clark [[email protected]]
    Jaguar PC - Quality Web Hosting
    http://www.JaguarPC.com

1. Not really; I started with that, and it sure gives a lot of info, but not on installed php applications, like PHP-lib.

It tells me where they are (by giving me the include paths) but that doesn't give me access to those folders to have a look what's there, right? Or can I just access them with SSH?

2. You mean I'd have to install it again myself? I.e. I cannot use the same PHP-MyAdmin install the control panel gives me access to.

3. Could you give (or point me to) a list of all PHP apps that are running on each server. Meanwhile can you tell me: is PHP-Lib installed (and what version)?

Thanks!

Wim
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

I think that pretty much every include path for PHP is accessible through SSH because, in order for PHP to have access to it it has to have world-readable rights. So you should be able to cd into those dirs in SSH and have a look around.

As for PHPLib, as far as I know, its not available on the servers. I haven't heard much about PHPLib lately. It seems to be a little dated now. It was more of a PHP 3 thing. Session supoport--one of the main reasons to use PHPLib--is now built in to PHP and things like authentication are pretty easy to create yourself if you are a PHP programmer. Since I think PHPLib is kind of compiled into PHP, its probably not soemthing that you can install yourself, so JPC will probably have to make a call on whether or not to install it.

I'm not sure, but I think that the version of PHPMyAdmin, like so many other features in CP, is a modified version to make it work with CP. The only way to access it (even without the rest of CP) is probably going to be through a CP password, so its probably easier to just install the package yourself. It shouldn't be too difficult and if you get stuck, you can always ask here.

As for a list of all PHP apps, that's kind of a fuzzy area to get into. What do you mean by PHP apps? phpinfo() shows which PHP modules are installed, but really any application on the server can be used through PHP. To me, a PHP app is a set of PHP scripts that do some kind of function--like a shopping cart or a forum. PHPMyAdmin would fall into this category since it is a PHP interface into MySQL. Other things (like gd, curl, or even PHPLib) are libraries that extend the capability of PHP to run those scripts. There probably is no master list of everything on the server that PHP can interact with. The best thing to do is find something you want to use and then see if its available, and if not, see if you can install it or have JPC install it for you through a support ticket.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Thanks for your thorough answer Jason, as usual ,

So you consider PHP Lib to be outdated, right? I partially had that same impression myself. But...

Using a database abstraction layer still seems wise to me and isn't PHP-lib the standard among them? Or is there a better one anyone can recommend?

Rambling of... why don't they build database abstraction into PHP I wonder, instead of making all commands start with a prefix for the RDBMS your using?
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

I've never understood why PHP has so many different Database API's built into it and no simple way of doing abstraction. If tht's what you're seeking, there are other packages around that do the same basic thing. I just saw an article over at http://www.devshed.com on PHP Application Development with ADODB. I haven't had time to read the article in depth yet, but it looks like someone has created a PHP class that mimics Microsoft's ADO Database abstraction classes. It looks like it could be a pretty easy system to learn, especially if you've ever done any ASP scripting or programming in VB.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com