Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on How to work on a website without being public? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hello, I'm in the preliminaries of putting up a new website via a semi-dedicated plan. I'm hoping some of you can give me a few ...

How to work on a website without being public?

Hello,

I'm in the preliminaries of putting up a new website via a semi-dedicated plan. I'm hoping some of you can give me a few suggestions on how to get a site up and running while keeping it private.

IE.. I already own the two domain names I want to use and the site will use 3 or 4 different 'canned' CMS solutions and modules. However, I want to work on the site, design templates, get some content up, etc prior to launching the site to the public.

What is the best / easiest way to go about this other than simply renaming the index file to something else. I ASSumed this would be a poor way to go about it regardless as it would effect all the links and referrers in the site coding and make it a hassle, etc.

Thanks in advance for any guidance and help.
    Scott B. Husted

Aletia Customer
    The best way would be to work on the site on your local machine.

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, that is not a realistic alternative since I don't have a Linux/Apache server sitting here with the same configuration as JPC. The website is not a static / simple HTML site, so building it and testing it locally will not work.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott B. Husted

Ron
    Put up an index.html file in your www directory that just says "Hi I'm under construction see you soon" and design your site using a homepage with a name of foobar.html

Then when you're ready to go live, all you'll have to do is change the name of the homepage, or, if you don't have a good content management system, just search your pages for foobar.html and replace that reference with index.html

Or some variant like that.

You could also be sure to use all relative internal references, and do all of your work in an unpublicized sub-directory.

I usually work in a subdirectory called something like /main

Then when it's time to go live I throw in a redirect on the main page that directs everything to the /main directory.

Depends on your solution. What do you plan on using?
    Microsoft MVP Windows-Security 2005
    CastleCops | Cuddles 'n Kisses | Just a little poke | Zhen-Xjell

For longer development work I also use a subdirectory and I have password protected it against accidental stumbling in. When I want to go live I move stuff to the main directory.

Given that all the includes are located elsewhere anyway (off the web root), all I need to do is move the stylesheets and images along with it (or change their "base directory" setting, depending on how I worked).

For making and testing smaller changes I upload the file under a different name, do my final testing and then give the file the correct name, overwriting the earlier version with the new one.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

Loyal Client
    Uh, why don't you just password-protect the public_html (ie, "www") directory of your site? Even if you don't know how to edit .htaccess, cPanel makes it simple. Just password protect the "domain.com/" directory and build the site. Simple.

You can create a subdomain in your account, say beta. And password protect it or add something like this in .htaccess (public_html/beta/) :

Code:
    allow from YOUR_IP
    allow from CLIENT_IP
    deny from all
    Your development site should be fully functional at http://beta.yourdomain
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Masood N. [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Red"]Chief Technical Officer[/COLOR][SIZE="3"] JaguarPC.com[/SIZE]

Originally posted by masood
    You can create a subdomain in your account, say beta. And password protect it or add something like this in .htaccess (public_html/beta/) :

Code:
    allow from YOUR_IP
    allow from CLIENT_IP
    deny from all
    Your development site should be fully functional at http://beta.yourdomain
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. Masood... that is exactly what I was looking for and will work perfectly. Thanks!
    Scott B. Husted