Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on What can be done against spam and virusses in your e-mails? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hi all, I have a few e-mailadresses that are available on my website (read: spider-able by spam-bots) Now last days are really a pain-in-the-*tuut* when ...

Loyal Client

What can be done against spam and virusses in your e-mails?

Hi all,

I have a few e-mailadresses that are available on my website (read: spider-able by spam-bots)

Now last days are really a pain-in-the-*tuut* when I open my luchtzak.be mailboxes (and when other members of the webteam do), virusses, spam, etc etc

One of the members of the webteam has computer-issues when he opens the mailbox.

Is there a way so virusses are auto-deleted on the server and spam-messages can't come through? I use spamassassin.

all help welcome, greetings,

Bart

I've installed a program called NOD32 linux mail server, and am about to start reselling their products this week. I believe in their solution and use their client at home too. It can do what you want insofar as viruses are concerned. As for SPAM, I'd highly suggest reading more about Mailwasher:

http://computercops.biz/forum50.html

Free versions exist, also a wonderful product.
    Microsoft MVP Windows-Security 2005
    CastleCops | Cuddles 'n Kisses | Just a little poke | Zhen-Xjell

Loyal Client

spam comabt

I downlaoded freeware G-lock spam combat and before I download my email I run it. It has a very good engine to learn what are spams. I have my 4 emails account set and it is very easy to run. It also checks the emails on the server and not after they were downlaoded to the computer
    Erich Lewitus
    [email protected]

We have added a new feature called Spam Box to reroute all spam tagged messages by spam assassin into a separate mailbox 'spam', which can be checked either via IMAP or pop3 or webmail, when you feel like. Please check it out.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Masood N. [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Red"]Chief Technical Officer[/COLOR][SIZE="3"] JaguarPC.com[/SIZE]

Aletia Customer
    How do we enable the spam box? I have turned off the filter that deletes mail marked as spam. The spams are now appearing in my inbox. Do I have to create a new folder called spam?

Dab
    Loyal Client
    From what I recall from Masood's message in the Announcements section of the forums, it is accessed via Spam Assassin in the control panel.

Dab

Aletia Customer
    Your right Dab. On the Spam Assassin page in the control panel there is a button marked "enable spam box" you must press.

Loyal Client
    I am trying the new spambox and today I didn't receive any spam! It's amazing! 1 question though: will the spam e-mails stay on the server or not?

greetings,

Bart

Not really sure, but I doubt it. I think all you did was set up a special folder for the Spam to be redirected to.

If you enable spam box, the tagged emails will continue to pile up in the spam box and will eventually eat up all your disk space. So please login via webmail and check for any false positives and delete the rest of the spam.

I can tell you from experience that sometimes very important emails can be tagged by spam assassin.

This is how you can check your spam box using SquirrelMail:

Login to webmail at yourdomain.com/webmail using your email address. Each email account has its own spam box

When you login into SquirrelMail, click on "Folders". At the bottom of that screen, you have the option to subscribe "spam" folder. Highlight "spam" and click Subscribe button. Once done, click on the (refresh folder list) link in the left column. The spam box will appear in the list. If there is too much spam, you can delete the folder "spam" via ftp or ssh. It is located here: /home/username/mail/yourdomain.com/emailid/spam

Hope this helps,
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Masood N. [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Red"]Chief Technical Officer[/COLOR][SIZE="3"] JaguarPC.com[/SIZE]