Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Newly created Subdomain not working in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I have been trying to create a subdomain and it creates it fine but when i goto that URL i keep getting an error msg ...

Loyal Client

Newly created Subdomain not working

I have been trying to create a subdomain and it creates it fine but when i goto that URL i keep getting an error msg stating subdomain cant be found please check the name and try again, if i use IE i just defaults to a std page that says cant find it

The dirs have been created and i already have another subforum up and running on my site happily

I have tried putting files in the new subdomain but it still wont work

I have created car.stfocus.net if i type this into the browser it doesnt work yet i can reference it as

www.stfocus.net/car

my other subdomain is eurofordclub.stfocus.net and this works by typing in the dubdomain as well as www.stfocus.net/eurofordclub

But when i created another one firstly it was wrking instantly, do i have to wait for them to propogate or should the rest of them happen instantly like the first one

rc.stfocus.net i created and it is woking immediately

this is very confusing now

Cheers

// chris
    Last edited by cschoppe; 04-11-2004 at 09:27 AM.

Ron
    I checked, and sure enough it's not available for me either.
    As you know, it can take up to 72 hours for your new subdomain to propagate, but ususally takes much less. Sometimes an error occurs in the setup. :shrug:

Send in a ticket to support and ask them to check around.

Take a look around your CPanel... look for all the options of things that can be done with subdomains for a hint that maybe things weren't set up correctly.

GOOD LUCK

Ron
    I hate to suggest this, but maybe delete it and try again?

Naaaah, check with support first.

Loyal Client
    I guess i will have to wait... its weird i just created 4 then, 2 of them worked instantly after i created them and the other 2 didnt...... will give it a few days and see what happens

Cheers

// chris

Loyal Client
    A newly created subdomain is not working for me either. I use a third-party DNS service. Do I have to change my settings there?

Loyal Client
    And now this morning i have tested all four of them and they all work, guess its just waiting for the DNS to update

Cheers

Chris

Originally posted by hyperact
    A newly created subdomain is not working for me either. I use a third-party DNS service. Do I have to change my settings there?
    Yes. You need to add an A record for the subdomain (using the same IP address as for www).

Additionally/alternatively you can set up a wildcard A record at the end of your list. Instead of a subdomain name use * (and, again, the IP for www). Then, when a request comes in that isn't matched somewhere else farther up the list, it will be matched to that record. If the requested subdomain doesn't exist on the server, the user will get your main home page. The advantage to this (besides getting users to you instead of them seeing error messages) is that new subdomains will resolve without domain propagation problems. For an example try http://abnfjhsfjkfhksdfhsjkdf.interbrite.com

(For those of you using JPC to manage your DNS, you can ask support to set up widcarding for you and they will.)

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Loyal Client
    Thanks Jason, very helpful info. However, I already have a wildcard entry in my DNS and, as you say, when I type the subdomain URL into my browser I am taken to my main www page without any errors. But I never get to the index page of the subdomain.

The subdomain created by cpanel is a folder inside my http_public folder. It contains a cgi folder as well as the web pages I put there. I assume this is the correct location for it.

Can you think of any other reasons why I can't see my subdomain when I try to go there?

The only other thing that could be happening is that the Apache conf isn't being updated on your server. I've run into problems with the DNS never getting updated when I've added subdomains, but never that. I'd open a ticket.

Basically, three things happen when you set up a subdomain:
    1. The directory inside public_html is set up, along with a cgi-bin inside of it.
    2. The DNS zone for your domain is updated to include an A record for the subdomain.
    3. The Apache configuartion is updated to map requests for the subdomain to the proper directory. This appears to not be happening for you.

Also, make sure that you didn't set up redirection on the subdomain. This doesn't sound like its you problem, but it is something that a lot of people seem to think they have to do when they really don't.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com