Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on ok...wtf? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Just playing around with some things on my site and decided to use the autoinstaller to add phpWebsite. Well, maybe I'm just nuts but, maybe ...

Loyal Client

ok...wtf?

Just playing around with some things on my site and decided to use the autoinstaller to add phpWebsite. Well, maybe I'm just nuts but, maybe the rest of you can tell me if you see something wrong with this:

http://www.snipeme.com/website/index.php

On top of that wierdness, the default admin account doesn't work either. This is the 3rd time I've installed this and I get the same odd behavior every time. I've used phpWebsite from the autoinstaller before and had NO problems with it, so I'm just kinda curious as to what's up with this.

DSD
    Loyal Client
    That is weird, you might try installing it without the installer. I used the installer to install xmbforum too, and it gave me errors.

I used that phpwebsite before and seemed to have many bugs in it. So I switched to PostNuke, and haven't had any trouble.

Same thing happened to me. The reason for all the flashing stuff I believe is by design. It's letting you know that that you're hotlinking to www.appstate.edu. Search for static links to appstate.edu and change to your server. I believe they were in themes/header.php

Loyal Client
    I'll take a look at that Mike, but it's never done that to me before.

DSD, I'd love to install these things without the installer, but sadly I only have dial-up. Even if I had several hours to wait for a 13Mb upload I simply don't trust a modem connection to transfer that much data without problems.

If PostNuke is anything like PHP Nuke, no thanks. I'm sure Nuke is great for people who understand it, but apparently I don't because it never did anything other than make me use excessive amounts of profanity

I'm in the same boat as you (playing around) and phpnuke installed without errors with the auto-installer (unlike the problem with php-website). I'm actually kind of excited about learning how to use nuke but don't yet "understand" it as you say.

http://www.mikeconant.com/website

http://www.mikeconant.com/phpnuke
    Last edited by mike7727; 04-12-2004 at 04:20 AM.

Loyal Client
    Well, good luck learning! I've quickly discovered how hard it is to get any help learning Nuke when you're a total n00b. One of the most well-advertised and vaunted "advantages" to php-nuke is it's "large support community." LOL! That's ironic considering that the average Nuker's attitude towards a newbie is "go look it up yourself."

I used to work tech support and I really don't think my company would've had much of a client base if I told callers to figure out their on problems, LOL! It amazes me that people stick with Nuke after seeing what a RUDE community they have.

DSD
    Loyal Client
    Actually, I never needed support help for postnuke, it is very stable. I also have a 56k dialup, which I uploaded it with. For me, I had trouble getting support help with phpwebsite. But that is just my experience with it. On my phpwebsite, all seemed to work fine for about a week or so, then one day I went to it and there was all this php code showing in the middle of the page, that's when I switched.

I was excited about learning how postnuke worked too. I have a small website using postnuke, when I get it moved from current host to new host (JaguarPC) I'll post a link.

There are more addons for postnuke from what I remember too.

Ron
    can't you SSH into your shell account and ftp the files from there?

Loyal Client
    Yes, but that still isn't going to solve the problem of it taking like 6 hours, LOL!

Actually...now that I think about it. Isn't there a way to upload a zip file and unzip it on the server itself using SSH? I seem to think there is. If so, how would I go about doing that? The .tar.gz file for phpWebsite is only 3Mb.

Nevermind, Google is great. Found it
    Last edited by Galen; 04-12-2004 at 10:49 PM.

Ron
    ok, maybe you missed what I was saying, I wasn't too clear.

Assuming your other site is somewhere on the web...

You'll be prompted to log in to the old host. Do so, and then type "Get /wherever/file.tar.gz" (of course you either have to cwd around to the right directory, or spell out the pathname from wherever your ftp program's default location is.)

That will dowload the file from wherever your old server is to your new server at roughly internet backbone speed.

(Ok, not really, but it will be zippy fast.)

Good Luck!

Originally posted by Galen
    ...I used to work tech support and I really don't think my company would've had much of a client base if I told callers to figure out their on problems, LOL! It amazes me that people stick with Nuke after seeing what a RUDE community they have.
    I know of very few rude ppl in the Nuke Community. If you wanna see rude, you should try the FreeBSD crowd. They won't even talk to you useless you have researched and pinpointed a problem, are capable of articulating exactly what the problem is, and have exhausted every possible remedy available to you. In the Nuke Community, you often get the same question[s] over 'n' over again. It's enough to wear on anyone's nerves.

What's wrong with figuring things out yourself?
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

I've found the Nuke Community to be quite helpful. Out of maybe 30 questions I've had, 25 were solved via the search function on various nuke forums (mainly nukecops.com) and the other 4-5 were answered by somebody. I think I've had one question go unaswered and it turned out to be not that big of deal.

Loyal Client
    Hehe, I knew Vin would be coming along at some point to defend his beloved Nukers

Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt that "Content Management System" should mean that I don't have to type a single line of code - ever. Instead, it means that if I want to add something new, I have to know php and write a freakin' module for it. I'm sure that's great if you know php and enjoy the challenge, but for those of us who don't have time to learn php, it's not so wonderful.

I can't remember what PHP-Nuke install was like since it was so long ago that I did it but it seemed to be pretty easy. I just install CPG-Nuke last week as an upgrade (although it was actually a complete new install) and all I had to do was edit the config file in one spot and upload everything. Straight out of the box CPG-Nuke (and PHPNuke) offer everything you would need to content manage a website.

Now that said, my website has alot of hacks and tweaks to it, to customize it specifically to our user base. It required that I know PHP, MySQL, HTML, and general webdesign structure. But I'm a web designer so its what I do. If you need something out of the ordinary or custom to your user base and you are not comfortable learning programming languages or web development tools, then I would suggest paying a web designer to customize your site.
    Last edited by tank; 04-14-2004 at 06:49 AM.

Originally posted by Galen
    Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt that "Content Management System" should mean that I don't have to type a single line of code - ever...
    CMS's are designed to make it easy to manage your site once you get it running, but of course it will always take some time to get it set up and working exactly as you want it to.

Consider this: you are the webmaster for a large organization/school/corporation/etc. A major part of the website that you maintain is the news section. The media relations department writes several press releases each day, and these releases need to be posted to the website within an hour of when they are released.

It wouldn't be difficult for you to create a new HTML page every time a new press release came out and ftp it to your site. In fact, you'd probably have a blank release page ready on your local machine so you could add the content to it and have it uploaded in a matter of minutes. However, in this situation, you have to drop everything else you are doing every time you get a release sent to you.

With a CMS you'd have to spend a few hours getting everything configured correctly, but you could then set up accounts for the people in Media Relations. This would allow them to post their releases as soon as they are written, saving you time and making things more efficient. Now you can take a day off and the press releases will still get posted.

Basically, CMS systems require a little more work up front but end up saving you time in the long run.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast