Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Fireworks MX in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
does anyone else use Macromedia Fireworks? or could someone share their opinion of Fireworks? I'm thinking about buying it (since I use Flash and Dreamweaver). ...

JPC Member

Fireworks MX

does anyone else use Macromedia Fireworks? or could someone share their opinion of Fireworks? I'm thinking about buying it (since I use Flash and Dreamweaver). I was just wondering what other thought of it.

For me it had a real easy learning curve. I created this right out of the box. (or download... I'm using the trial to see what its like)

That image is about the best I've ever done. Since I'm not a great asthetics person.

Photoshop... Use what the pros use

I'm not a pro but I do have FireWorks. I don't like it. To each his own. Use what your comfortable with.

I got Studio MX 2004 at work right after it came out. I pretty much only use Dreamweaver, and that's mainly only for prototyping things and because I have to teach other people how to use it from time to time. I'm taking a class in Flash next week. Once I start getting into that I may start using Fireworks more because the two go hand-in-hand, but right now I pretty much do all of my graphics work in Photoshop 7 or CS (depending on the computer).

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

fireworks has a much lower learning Curve, but it is not has powerful as Photoshop

My Best Advice is download the Trials of Each and then buy the one you think you can use the most effectivly

I own Both, I started out using Fireworks the most, but Slowly but Surely I have been using Photoshop more and more because Photoshop can do things Fireworks cant

Loyal Client
    I run a macromedia users group, and have used fireworks for a few versions back...

My usual advice is that PS and FW are two different applications, designed for different uses. PS is for advanced image editing, digital image creation, etc, as well as layout. FW is for web graphics almost exclusively (despite what MM marketing has to say).

FW vastly outshines ImageReady (bundled w/ PS) in optimization, ease of combining vectors and raster, has much better handling of simple code generation, and is a bit easier to learn.

However, PS does come w/ IR, which gets you at least some web tools, including slicing and optimization (not great, though). I think IR also does animated GIFs a bit better.

jason - are you sure about FW and Flash? Most people tie Freehand with Flash (Freehand is an Illustrator competitor)

Loyal Client
    I have been using MM MX since 2000 and one of the features I enjoy is the way Fireworks integrates with DreamWeaver. I have yet to find an easier and faster way to build web sites graphically and also be able to code.

I code in PHP, Coldfusion and C# and I use one editor and a graphics engine that is integrated makes life easier because I code and do graphics all in one place. It takes a lot of video and memory but the time I save is great.

I have been developing web sites since 1993 and I have seen a lot of changes and I have used a lot of different frontends for development. If you are looking for a fast easy way to integrate graphics and code the fireworks is great. If you want to concentrate more on graphics go for PS.

Loyal Client
    I have been using FW MX for about a year and love it. Although the gif animator is not as user friendly as say JASC. The image manipulation is limited only by your imagination and ingenuity. And you will appreciate the integration with Flash and Dreamweaver (I usually create slices and such with FW and then just cut the code I need because I don't use any WYSIWYG editor)

Loyal Client
    Did you say the F word :O

Photoshop all the way, its LOADS better!!

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by PooM
    Did you say the F word :O

Photoshop all the way, its LOADS better!!
    Welcome to the boards, PooM

As we mentioned, FW and PS are different beasts. They can be used together for very good effect, as each has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Loyal Client
    hm, i'm always willing to try new programs so maybe i'll have to give that a whirl!

but personally im very attached to my photoshop.. i'd die without it. lol. i remember my first time using it "how the hell do you do anything?!?!" then i caught on.. eek sorry *shuts up*