Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on neon HTTP down for an hour in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
So HTTP on neon has been down for an hour. The light is red on the netwrok status page. Ya think I should submit a ...

Ron

neon HTTP down for an hour

So HTTP on neon has been down for an hour. The light is red on the netwrok status page.

Ya think I should submit a ticket anyway?

Everything else is working fine.....

Ron
    I decided to open the ticket, and yet again.... I don't get a ticket confirmation from this ticket.

This is the second time that this has happened -- that HTTP on neon is down, and is red on the Network Status page, and when I submit a ticket I don't get the immediate confirmation email.

There seems to be some connection between the net status page and http and neon that seems to be causing status notification to support to fail. This means that the automated tools for monitoring http on neon DO NOT WORK.

My website is now back up.... just minutes after they I submitted the ticket -- again.

I had been having recurring problems with HTTP on neon, I had complained and complained and complained, Jag.

HEre is the response from support:
    Our Reply:
    There has been a spam on the server. We are clearing the mail queue. Please hold and check it in a couple of minutes.
    Does that answer make any sense when I am able to send and receive email, but HTTP is down?????

You know, an uptime guarantee is supposed to make one feel like your website(s) will be available.

I know that things happen. I just want the monitoring syustems to catch the problems and for them to be repaired without my having to notice it myself (in this case, I got an email from a customer) and report it.

We were working on the server about 15~20 minutes before you submitted the ticket. Any attempt to bring the server up resulted in crash due to enormous amount of spam on the server. It was attempted a couple of times while the mailqueue was being flushed.

I suspect some very legitimate user had some kind of mail loop or decided to send their newsletter in full burst. Anyway, the mailqueue is clear now. It was in 100k+

The alert notification did not work, and we are looking into it now.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Masood N. [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Red"]Chief Technical Officer[/COLOR][SIZE="3"] JaguarPC.com[/SIZE]

Ron
    Thanks, Masood. That's the FIRST TIME that anyone has agreed that there is a problem with the notification system. I've noticed this before and commented on it.

I still don't necessarily understand why APACHE HTTP would be affected by the mail queue. The neon server shows an uptime of 51 days. But that's fine... I don't need to know the reason, I just need to know that it's being addressed. (Don't get me wong, I'm a geek, I'd LIKE to know the reasons, but I don't NEED to know.)

Maybe the two are related -- that the email tickets are not being sent when HTTP is down and HTTP is down when there are lots of emails in the queue....

Thanks again. Good luck.

If the server load goes higher beyond acceptable limits, web server is automatically brought down. Due to the spam activity, the server load went pretty high and web server stopped. It should have been restarted automatically, but it didn't due to a fault in system monitor.

I have also fixed a bug in the alert notification system. It has been tested and works fine now. Sorry for the inconvenience during this time.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Masood N. [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Red"]Chief Technical Officer[/COLOR][SIZE="3"] JaguarPC.com[/SIZE]

Thanks masood..... Everytime I see a red light on the network status I open a ticket because you don't know if the staff has been notified about the services down...
    Julian D. Muņoz - LANeros.com

Now everytime you see red light, rest assured the staff has been notified. But if it's over 15 minutes, please do open a ticket. Thank you,