Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on propagating again? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Ok so here is the story: My brother is etting married and he wanyts a website to host directions, rsvp, picture gallery, gift registry link ...

propagating again?

Ok so here is the story:

My brother is etting married and he wanyts a website to host directions, rsvp, picture gallery, gift registry link blah blah blah

so he registered the domain, and set up a subdomain to a directory located at my root.
    www.cinderblockmedia.com/stephanieandricardo/ so far all was well.

Well now my brother got his own space here at jaguarpc, so naturally he wats to use his domain.(here's where the problems began)
    he logged into aletianic and changed the name serves that the domain is pointed to, then I not knowing this changed them once more.

I have relased a redirect(my control panel) and the subdomain(via support ticket), Well it has been a bit ver 12hrs and when the domain www.stephanieandricardo.com is pinged it is still pointed to my domain www.cinderblockmedia.com

I have opened a support ticket and they told me that the name servers were wrong again!! So I went in and changed them to ns.nocdirect.com and ns2.nocdirect.com this was about 8 hours ago and still nothing, the same green-with-big-white-text "CPANEL" page comes up.

response to the ticket has been very quick and assertive I am just looking to see if anhone has any helppful input on this situation?!?!?! the last thing I was told was to wait for the propagation to complete but it was my understanding the domain was propagated a while back, something like 5/24/04??

will the fact that the redirect has been released and the name servers have been changed, mean that the domain will have to re-propagate? and if so what would be the target time of completion?

--esteban

|| $name ne 'R.Stiltskin'

Re: propagating again?

Originally posted by cinderblock
    ...will the fact that the redirect has been released and the name servers have been changed, mean that the domain will have to re-propagate? and if so what would be the target time of completion?
    In a word, yes. If the name server was pointing to the wrong IP, then your site won't resolve properly, i.e. will reference whatever is in the old database. Propagation times can range significantly; time delay depends on what nameserver you use to access the internet. If all of the servers (nameserver and webserver) are in Houston proper, then propagation should be very quick, but that depends on the rate of DB updates set by the nameserver. Within 24hrs is a pretty typical, universal standard.

thanks.

hopefully this will get resolved today

Here's what propagation is all about:

Computers on the Internet talk to each other using IP addresses, much like we call other people using phone numbers. Since the human brain can process words better than it can a series of numbers, a naming system was put into place that would map names to those numbers.

At first these names were listed in a file on every user's computer called a hosts file. Periodically a new file would be distributed to every user so they could update their computer with the mappings for new users. Obviously this quickly got too out-of-hand to manage efficiently, so the DNS system was put into place.

The DNS syetem is a distributed database these name-IP address mapings. Each organization maintains their own database of the domains that they are responsible for (in their DNS servers) and a central registry keeps track of which DNS servers know about which names and redirects requests to the proper ones.

If, every time someone made a request for a web page, a separate request had to be made to to find the IP address of the server that the page was on there would be a lot more traffic on the Net, and that would slow everything down, so the idea of caching was built into the system.

When you try to browse a new site for the first time, you ask your ISP's name servers what the IP is for that site. The server looks through its records and if it doesn't find anything it asks the servers at the top level (the central registry). Those servers tell it what servers (at the host) to ask. It then goes to the host and gets all of the information that the host is willing to share about IP addresses for the requested domain. Along with this information is a timeout value. Your ISP's server returns to you the IP that your computer needs to finish making the request and then it stores the information that it got from the host's server for the length of time the timeout value specifies. This is just in case you make more requests (which you probably will), so that it doesn't have to go through all of that work again.

Propagation refers to the time it takes from when the host changes the records in its servers until the ISP's servers notice a change. Usually this is up to about 48 hours. You go through propagation every time you make a change to your domain, such as changing the IP address or the DNS servers listed with the central registry.

I hope this helps you understand what is going on. Hopefully you're domain will start working as you expect very soon.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

wow thanks for that write up, I knopw what propagation is but I was just wandering if the issue with the domain/redirect and multihosting was causing the domain to propagate again.

Still this brings more knowledge to what I already have.
    thanks!

Well after hounding the tech support peeps, the site is up and running. thanks

to the Tech support people(if the are around here):
    I would like to make an apoligy, I belive my brother got a bit out of line over the ticket system, at least that is what he mentioned, so I would like to apologize to those who may have dealt with all that unnecessary and childish garbage.
    my apologies, and thank yous,

--Esteban

You're welcome.

I work in education. Through my job I've found that the best way to get people to understand is to tell them not just how soemthing works, but why it works that way as well. So my posts get a little long and detailed sometimes...

The important thign to remember is that any time you make a change to the addressing of a site (IP address or DNS server changes) yoou need to expect propagation to occur again.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak

yep its all good thanks Jason, like i mentioned in the earlier post yout wirte up is very thorough.
    thanks!

Originally posted by jason
    ...Through my job I've found that the best way to get people to understand is to tell them not just how soemthing works, but why it works that way as well...
    LoL! Through my job, I've found the best way to get ppl to understand is make them think they're about to get their nose broken...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Originally posted by Vin DSL
    LoL! Through my job, I've found the best way to get ppl to understand is make them think they're about to get their nose broken...
    LOL...I suppose that works in your field, but I don't think we'd retain many students here if we were to teach that way. It would certainly make some the classes a bit more interesting, though.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak

Originally posted by Vin DSL
    That depends on who your dealing with.