Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on .htaccess multihost in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Ok, what I'm wanting to do is have a domain name resolve to mydomain.com/otherdomain/ WITHOUT having to actually have the first domain multihosted. In other ...

Loyal Client

.htaccess multihost

Ok, what I'm wanting to do is have a domain name resolve to mydomain.com/otherdomain/ WITHOUT having to actually have the first domain multihosted.

In other words, when someone types www.otherdomain.info they would end up at mydomain.com/otherdomain/ and still have the browser showing otherdomain.info. I'm pretty sure there's a way to "fake" multihosting like this with .htaccess, but I don't know it.

I searched the archives and found this:

RewriteEngine on

rewritecond %{HTTP_HOST}

.*otherdomain\.info$
    rewritecond %{REQUEST_URI}

!^/otherdomain/
    RewriteRule (.*) /otherdomain/$1

However, that didn't work (Internal Server Error when trying otherdomain.com and the error log says /public_html/.htaccess: RewriteCond: bad argument line '%{HTTP_HOST}'

I'm not wanting to actually multihost the other site (I'd rather have a seperate account for it), but the domain is registered and I'd like to at least have it pointing to a "Under Construction" page or something for the time being.
    Last edited by Galen; 05-28-2004 at 05:19 AM.

I'm not sure if your post is broken up weird because on the forum or if it is copied from the .htaccess, but it should look like this:
    Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} .*otherdomain\.info$
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/otherdomain/
    RewriteRule (.*) /otherdomain/$1
    If you have those breaks the same way in the .htaccess that's probably your problem. I don't see anything that looks wrong with it otherwise.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Loyal Client
    Ah, I see. That's the way it was in the post I found it in, so that's how I copied it. The breaks didn't even occur to me. THANKS!

You're welcome. Glad you got it working.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com