Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Internet mail in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hey all, Just wondering is it possible to have a POP3 Mail account combined with an online account. Just like hotmail, where you can either ...

Loyal Client

Internet mail

Hey all,

Just wondering is it possible to have a POP3 Mail account combined with an online account. Just like hotmail, where you can either look at your mail online or offline in a mail client. This would be very useful for when your computer goes bust and you dont have to worry about loosing your emails as they are on the net. But it is still on the computer for quick access aswell

Is this possible?

Cheers,

Steve

A geezer, with 1 foot in. Oldfrog's Avatar
    I have several accounts set up that way using squirrelmail as the web client and Outlook as the email client on the local machine. I can access from either place.
    Gravity, more than a good idea, it's the law!

Re: Internet mail

Originally posted by PooM
    Hey all,

Just wondering is it possible to have a POP3 Mail account combined with an online account. Just like hotmail, where you can either look at your mail online or offline in a mail client. This would be very useful for when your computer goes bust and you dont have to worry about loosing your emails as they are on the net. But it is still on the computer for quick access aswell

Is this possible?

Cheers,

Steve
    As oldfrog said it is possible. Just don't set your e-mail client to deleate messages on the server. If you do they will be gone when you log into your pop 3 account.

A geezer, with 1 foot in. Oldfrog's Avatar
    Okay, that was a really stupid post that I made, sorry. You didn't want a 'yes' or 'no' probably, but some clue as to how to do it. I'm pretty new here and even newer to webmail installation, but here is what I did.

1) Set up email accounts on my domain using cpanel.

2) Used Vin DSL's fairly detailed instructions for downloading and installing Squirrelmail in another thread in this same (email mgmt) forum.

3) Set up the corresponding accounts in my home machine email client. Again, I found a lot of good refs by hunting around in this forum. How you set that up will depend on your client.

I hadn't really thought about the issue that Connie raised above, but it is a good one. I only use the webmail when I am out of the office/shop, but may very well miss something because the base system has downloaded it and deleted already. I get it when I return, of course, but I wouldn't be checking if I didn't want to see what had come in. Thanks, Connie!

Later thought: Setting up Squirrelmail was actually number 3 on the list, not number 2. After performing 1 and 3 I could send and recieve msgs using my email client from the office but couldn't conveniently pick them up directly. (I could get them through SSH, but that's not as slick as Sqmail). After I found what Vin had posted about SqM I installed it and had webmail working and customized to match my site's look in a couple of hours or so.
    Last edited by Oldfrog; 05-28-2004 at 07:56 PM.
    Gravity, more than a good idea, it's the law!

Loyal Client
    PooM, it works the way you want it to by default here. You can either go to yourdomain.com/webmail to access your mail (using either NeoMail, Horde, or SquirrelMail) or you can use a mail client to download your messages (using mail.yourdomain.com as the POP server).

There's nothing special you need to do. Webmail and POP access are both available by default.

Loyal Client
    When I'm not at my home computer, I use SquirrelMail myself as Galen suggested above.

While installing your own copy of SquirrelMail might be nice (because you can really customize it, have the latest version, etc.) I find the version of SquirrelMail that Jaguar already has installed to be very adequate for my needs.

You can also access Jaguar's pre-installed webmail programs (NeoMail, Horde or SquirrelMail) in a secure manner by going to:
    https://yourdomain.com:2096/

That's how I always do it.

Loyal Client
    If you want to set up mail rules etc (the most useful addon that doesn't come as standard) You'll have to do your own install, which as Vin points out in his tutorial isn't that difficult.

Also Vin and I use SQM version 1.5 which is still in dev, but I rate it higher than 1.42 that is in use at JagPC (JagPC update to the latest stable install available, so this isn't a criticism, just a mark of preference!)

For more info on SM, goto www.squirrelmail.org for a list of plugins etc. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised! Just as a point of completeness for the Jag PC Webmail offerings, the others are good but not as good or as stable as SQM.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by orbic1; 06-10-2004 at 04:52 PM.
    Orbic

Originally posted by Oldfrog

I hadn't really thought about the issue that Connie raised above, but it is a good one. I only use the webmail when I am out of the office/shop, but may very well miss something because the base system has downloaded it and deleted already. I get it when I return, of course, but I wouldn't be checking if I didn't want to see what had come in. Thanks, Connie!
    Actually my advice may have been wrong. Sorry about that. When checking by web mail don't deleate anything or you won't be able to download with your e-mail client.

On the other hand if there are e-mails you have downloaded with your e-mail client but want them available later by web-mail then you need to set your e-mail client up so that mail is not automatically deleted.

Hope that is a better explanation of what I meant.

Last edited by Connie; 05-29-2004 at 06:13 PM.

By the way, there is no need to install anything as others have pointed out to use web-mail and your e-mail client (pop3). Personally I have never used web-mail very much. When I traveled I carried a laptop with with me. I checked e-mail with the lap top from a Motel room. If I needed to reply to a particular e-mail in a hurry I did use web-mail. That way when I got home I could not only downlad the original e-mail but the reply as well.

SquirrelMail is the best of the web-mail solutions that Jag offers IMHO. If you want to personalize your experience or interaction with SquirrelMail then install it on your server.

Isn't it great that we are hosted with a Host that allows such options.

Hope you have a great Memorial Day Weekend.

Also, if you mail client supports it (and most do), you can access your mail with IMAP instead of POP3. That way your mail will stay on the server unless you move it off or delete it and you will see the exact same messages whether you are using your mail client or webmail. With IMAP you can also move messages into folders on the server (which can then be accessed in webmail), so you can keep things organized better than if you are using POP3.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Loyal Client
    Wow, forgot about this post.

Thanks for the replys, I understand that I can read webmail but the thing about that is, that when your POP client picks it up Webmail discards it and you can get it.

I think what Jason suggests is the best idea, how would I be able to set that up?

Cheers!

Well, IMAP is running on your server now, so all you need is a client that supports it. Most modern mail clients do in one form or another (I know Outlook, Netscape, Eudora, Pegasus Mail, and OS X's Mail utility all do).

For example, at work we use Exchange, so I'm using Outlook to access my mail. In Outlook I've added a new email account for my Interbrite mail (Tools > Email Accounts > Add New Email Account > IMAP). That creates a folder in Outlook labelled "Interbrite" wich contains (by default) my Inbox. You can then "subscribe" to other folders that you want Outlook to access, for example, I'm subscribed to my spam folder as well. This way I can keep an eye on my mail throughout the day without worrying about loosing important messages that I need to folow up on later, from home.

To confige your client for IMAP, the settings are the same as for POP, pretty much. Incomming and outgoing hosts can be your domain name or server name. Username is your full address (unless you are checking your default account) and your password is the same. The only difference is that IMAP operates on port 143 whereas POP3 runs on port 110 (but your cleint should default to this automatically, so you won't have to change anything).

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Loyal Client
    Cool I will try that tommoz, bit tired at the moment. Just got back from a car meet in Essex :P

Thanks for the help so far guys, its been very useful

Cheers!

Loyal Client
    what kind of car?
    Orbic