Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Motivation for terrorist attacks in Saudi Arabia in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
If the weekend's terrorist assault and hostage standoff, along with the other assaults on Saudi soil during the past year, were instigated by Al-Qaeda, I'm ...

|| $name ne 'R.Stiltskin'

Motivation for terrorist attacks in Saudi Arabia

If the weekend's terrorist assault and hostage standoff, along with the other assaults on Saudi soil during the past year, were instigated by Al-Qaeda, I'm wondering if this is their way to alter the U.S. Presidential election?

An assault on American soil by Al-Qaeda would probably backfire because the American people would rally around the President in a time of crisis, thus ensuring his re-election; but an assault on foreign lands in this important "ally's" backyard could destabilize our economy to such an extent that the people might lose faith in the President - something of a tipping point.

In contemporary politics, security trumps economy which trump everything else. Moving or keeping the terror off our shores might be just enough of a "concession" by the terrorists to make the economy the primary political issue. With a delay in the public recognizing that the economy has and is improving, there might not be enough time between now and the November election to have Americans feeling really good about their finances/job security. The result - Kerry gets elected. Just a theory that seems more likely than not given the recent polling numbers (for what they're worth).

Loyal Client
    According to ex-CIA operative Robert Baer, the Saudi's oil industry could be disrupted for up to two years by a concerted attack. NPR audio link About halfway down the page.

I suspect the attackers hope to convince Saudi Arabia to stop assisting the U.S. by attacking foreign workers and only "threatening" the oil processing plants at this time.

However, the Saudi's will not distance themselves from the U.S. because they know Iraq won't be buying Saudi oil.

The terrorists (yes, insurgents at home, terrorists abroad) have unwittingly created an opportunity for someone else (conspiracy alert!) to attack the Saudi Oil Industry with captured Iraqi weapons, disrupt the Saudi oil production (thereby weakening the Saudi position in the Middle East), and create a double boost to the American economy by helping the Saudi's rebuild their oil industry while activating all the idle oil pumps in Texas! LMAO

At least that is what I would do if presented with such a gift!

And no, I don't think the terrorists are attempting to influence the elections with the attacks in Saudi Arabia while sparing American soil. Any attack on an American anywhere will affect the outcome as it angers some to demand more military action and others to demand withdrawal.

I would like to make one point regarding the election and Homeland Security. Either Homeland Security has done an incredible job of securing our borders, (snicker) or there never were the large number of "sleepers" being touted as excuse for stealing American's liberties. After all, anyone with half a brain could terrorize an entire city with less than $100 worth of materials from Wal-Mart.

Who cares? Let 'em blow up the Saudi oil fields! We get most of 'our' oil from Canada, Mexico and Venezuela...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

|| $name ne 'R.Stiltskin'
    Originally posted by Df_Gamer - quotes in bold
    According to ex-CIA operative Robert Baer, the Saudi's oil industry could be disrupted for up to two years by a concerted attack. NPR audio link...
    Neither of these are very reliable sources in my mind. They could just pull a number out of a hat for what their analyses are worth.

I suspect the attackers hope to convince Saudi Arabia to stop assisting the U.S. by attacking foreign workers and only "threatening" the oil processing plants at this time.
    That may very well be.

However, the Saudi's will not distance themselves from the U.S. because they know Iraq won't be buying Saudi oil.
    Well, they probably still need U.S. protection as well as our hard currency. Oil is just about the only resource exportable to the world market. The U.S. needs to help them make sure that terrorism doesn't become the second.

I would like to make one point regarding the election and Homeland Security. Either Homeland Security has done an incredible job of securing our borders, (snicker) or there never were the large number of "sleepers" being touted as excuse for stealing American's liberties...
    Yeah, the border protection has been abysmal. Embarrasingly bad. I hope you're right about the sleepers but Al-Qaeda is known for its patience. I won't underestimate their presence. Still disagree about the "stealing American's liberties" stuff.