Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Problems with setting default email address to ":fail:" in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
In the continued battle against spam, I took the suggestion to set the default address to ":fail:" for my domain in my cpanel (since much ...

Loyal Client

Unhappy Problems with setting default email address to ":fail:"

In the continued battle against spam, I took the suggestion to set the default address to ":fail:" for my domain in my cpanel (since much spam goes to non-existing email addresses).

however, when I do that, 2 problems come up:

1. I cannot send email any longer (my email client complains SMTP Verification Failed, even though I changed no settings).

2. I don't receive any email! For invalid addresses, email will bounce, but for emails sent to valid POP accounts, the email just dissapears.

So I have removed the ":fail:" as the default address and set it back to my main POP account for now...

can anyone shed any light on this?

I had a similar problem that started several days after setting to ":discard" on one domain. Unfortunately it was my main domain. I left the settings and filed a support ticket. They got the issue resolved and e-mail that had been floating around for days started arriving.

In regard to your send problem I don't know. I did have to install a new e-mail client recently because suddenly could not download e-mail from one pop account and could not send unless I was using the ISP for sending. This problem occurred weeks after the problems of receiving mail after changing the default address so I don't think they were related.

Loyal Client
    This was MY issue too, I had it set to discard but then nothing worked.

Bummer.