Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on CGI script using FTP - script won't work? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I have tried several times to upload a cgi script using FTP, ASCII mode. It uploads but the script fails to work. I created a ...

Loyal Client

Question CGI script using FTP - script won't work?

I have tried several times to upload a cgi script using FTP, ASCII mode. It uploads but the script fails to work. I created a folder named cgi-bin where I uploaded it to. Is there something I need to do in the c panel? I did not have this problem with my previous host. PLEASE...HELP!!!!

Ron
    First questuion is: How does it fail? Look at your error log, located in your cpanel for a hint.

Also, check the permissions on the script. Try it with permissions of 777 just to start with, then if that works we can find the right permissions for your server.

Goodluck

Loyal Client
    I'm using FTP V 7.62 and I'm having a senior moment here. How do I set it with permissions of 777 . I'm growing older by the moment. I feel like such a blockhead!

Loyal Client
    The error I'm getting is:
    error: file has no execute permission:

|| $name ne 'R.Stiltskin'
    Originally posted by Patti
    The error I'm getting is:
    error: file has no execute permission:
    Bingo! The permissions, at a minimum and mentioned by Ron, are set incorrectly. You need to provide "execute" status, or chmod +x, for the nobody user if it is to be a publicly accessible file. If you feel adventurous, add it to group and owner. That's what 777 means - it's also written as -rwxrwxrwx. It provides owner (you), group (you and a few others), and nobody (all others) the permission to read, write, and execute the file. I'm not familiar with the software you mentioned but search for "changing file permissions on remote file" in the software's support pages.
    Last edited by Spathiphyllum; 06-04-2004 at 08:44 AM.

Once you get it working you'll want to use 755 (you=read, write, execute; group & world=read and execute only) to prevent others from being able to change your script.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Loyal Client
    Ron, Spathiphyllum *I have a couple of 'spaths' :-) * and Jason....Thank you...thank you.. The light just came on and it's now working.

Originally posted by Patti
    *I have a couple of 'spaths' :-) *...Thank you.
    You're welcome. And about the Spathiphylli - pretty cool aren't they? One of the few things that you can reliably cultivate indoors. As an ex-botanist, it's one of the few things a now-hacker can keep alive. That, and hope.

Ron
    The reason I was vague about what the permissions needed to be in the end, is that my server requires different permissions than Jason's server.

My server requires permissions of 005 to execute, his requires 500. I don't care to raise this as an issue to tech support right now. I don't want to have to go and test every script on my site if they change the ID under which scripts execute.

INTERESTING ONLY FOR THE NEXT FEW MINUTES: My post count is 777.

Everyhting will run for me now!

Actually, rereading my colloquy with Jason, I had a thought which I'm going to test:

Maybe proggies in cgi-bin execute under your own userid and outside under "nobody". I'll check it out and report back.

Originally posted by Ron
    INTERESTING ONLY FOR THE NEXT FEW MINUTES: My post count is 777. Everyhting will run for me now!
    What happened at post 666? Harddrive purging? Monitor ghosting? CDs burning? Computer crashing?

Ron
    THE #@$^@%^$%^@#$^$% bastards changed it on my server.
    You know you guys in tech support, if you read about something like this in the forums, it would be nice if you'd let us know you're gonna make a change, DAMMIT.