Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on Questions about hosting - considering changing to you in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I'm considering changing to jaguarpc to host my site, but I have a few questions before making a final decision: - Perl modules are free ...

Loyal Client

Questions about hosting - considering changing to you

I'm considering changing to jaguarpc to host my site, but I have a few questions before making a final decision:

- Perl modules are free to have installed, correct? I need HTML::Template and CGI::Sessions installed to run my site, and would like to confirm that there would be no charge to make sure they're installed on the server, or have them installed if they're not.

- What version of Perl are you currently running? 5.5? 5.6? 5.8?

- If I switch services, I may want to keep my domain pointed at my other host for another week or so, while transfering over & testing. Is this possible? Will I have some way of reaching my site through the browser, to test, until I redirect my domain name to the new site?

- And lastly, how many sites, on average and maximum, do each of your shared servers host?

Initially I'd be interested in signing up for your GigaDeal, but will probably have to take a step up down the road.

Thank you for your time. I anxiously await your reply.

Steny

|| $name ne 'R.Stiltskin'
    I'm just a client so my suggestion carries no weight, but the GigaDeal is a terrific bargain. I've never had any problems with modules whether they be universally or locally installed. Site speed has been just fine, too. Your transition requirements seem pretty routine. Contact sales directly since the forum is more of a secondary support venue.

My advice? Sign up and start moving now.

Loyal Client
    Thx for the reply.

I'm 99.99% ready to switch over, just waiting to hear the final word on the module installations (if there's any fee or not). I got mixed messages via email. The site says they're free, but an email I received suggests there's a $70/hour fee for stuff like that, and a module typically costs $15 to install.

I appreciate the feedback. I just wish I had posted last night, so I didn't have to wait until Monday to get setup :-(

I asked the same module question when I signed up initially. At the time there was no fee. Just a slight delay to get the request in queue. Jaguar was very helpful. You can install modules in your own space most of the time without problems. The only ones where it could be problematic is if it depends on a shared library in the root's system hierarchy. Then you'll need an admin's help. Still, never a problem.

Re: Questions about hosting - considering changing to you

Originally posted by Steny
    ...What version of Perl are you currently running? 5.5? 5.6? 5.8?
    5.6.1 on 'my' server...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Loyal Client
    Any fee for it though?
    I don't want to switch, if it's going to cost me $30-45 just to setup a few modules I need...
    but will switch if there's no fee.

Also curious to if there will be a way to access my site before I redirect my domain name...

Those are my main two questions before signing up :-)

No. the policy was that modules are free. I think the discrepancy is when you need some special application in the root that is accessed by module. Some modules only make calls to a larger application that the server may or may not already have. The extra "module fee" is not really for the module but rather for the application that the module accesses.

You mentioned HTML:Templates and CGI::Sessions. While every server is probably just a bit different, I can tell you that "my"server has HTML::Template v2.6 but lacks CGI::Sessions at the moment. Those are not obscure so I can't imagine a fee, but I'm not 100% positive.

You can likely access your site because you'll get an accessible IP address before the domain name resolves. You can do your SCP or FTP sans domain name.

Hope this helps.

Loyal Client
    I'm not worried about being able to FTP to my site before domain transfer, I"m worried about not being able to access it via browser to test & make sure it's functioning properly, before redirecting the domain name.

Thx for the feedback guys. I appreciate it.

Originally posted by Steny
    I'm not worried about being able to FTP to my site before domain transfer, I"m worried about not being able to access it via browser to test & make sure it's functioning properly, before redirecting the domain name...
    I suggest getting an IP. It's only one buck a month extra. Here's mine:

Same as:

www.lenon.com

No DNS required with an IP, you know?
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Loyal Client
    I suppose that's probably my best bet, yeah.

I'll get that setup once the account is created.
    I put my app through, just waiting on an email now. Under the impression that since I submitted with a CC that it will be ready relatively quickly. If not, it's not the end of the world.

Welcome to Jag. I think you will be gald that you choose JagPC as your web host.

Well, I'm sure you'll like it here.

I can't speak for Perl modules since I don't use any Perl scripts on my site these days. I can say that they have installed PHP modules for me in the past before though--at no cost.

As for accessing the site before transferring the DNS, its definitely possible. There are two ways to do it, either by server IP or server name. For example, to get to your site you can use something like http://SERVER.nocdirect.com/~USER or http://123.45.67.89/~USER (where SERVER is the name of your server and USER is your account's username). Of course, this method isn't perfect since your site isn't at the root level as it will be when you use your domain name, but it works for getting your site up and running. If you get a unique IP you'll be able to access your site a root level, but other than that, there isn't much need for a unique IP unless you need your own SSL certificate.

Welcome.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Loyal Client
    Odd, I haven't received an email yet, and signed up with a credit card. I'm not an impatient person (unless it's an emergency), so it's not a big deal, but I thought I might have received at least an email by this point telling me that my application has been receive.

*shrug*

Sales and Billing are open Monday-Friday, 9AM-4PM CST. If things aren't resolved yet, you'll probably have to wait until Monday morning to get it ironed out. Here's their email addies if you want to try that:

[email protected]
    [email protected]

If you're getting impatient (and I don't blame you), since it's now the weekend, I think I would contact one of the Admins and explain your situation. It's possible that your account was setup, but you didn't receive an email, for whatever reason. Have them check it out...

Jag: http://jaguarpc.com/forums/member.ph...lform&userid=1

Eric_Echter: http://jaguarpc.com/forums/member.ph...form&userid=27

Les: http://jaguarpc.com/forums/member.ph...orm&userid=656

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, you know?

Loyal Client
    Just sent an email to Jag, although I'm not sure if it went through.. since I just got a blank page after sending it...
    Will wait to hear from him.

Thanx!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast