Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Get together? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Do people post in here sometimes get together somewhere in person? And what's going on if you do? I don't think I can join so ...

Loyal Client

Thumbs up Get together?

Do people post in here sometimes get together somewhere in person? And what's going on if you do?
    I don't think I can join so easy cause of my location, but just wondered how often and where you meet if you do.
    The united states is so huge - it's 25 times of Japan!!
    So maybe it's not easy for people to get together even if you all lived in the states. California and Maine are far apart, maybe people in Florida can never survive in winter in Michigan?
    Cozy home in country.
    http://www.hakubajapan.com

Haven't heard anyone around here getting together, but I know of people from other sites such as Metafilter.com and webhostingtalk.com having regional/local gettogethers every so often.

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Don't worry about our Floridian friends perishing in Michigan winters.

First off, they can't get to Michigan because you can't take a right turn at Louisiana with their left blinker on.

Secondly, with global warming, it's nearly 35C all the time in Michigan during the winters now*.

*This message is brought to you by the Detroit Chamber of Commerce. Source: Broken thermometer outside our window.
    Good luck

I met one person as a result of the boards once. He happened to be a student at the school where I work and was looking for hosting. He heard that JPC was good (from someone else) and was checking on the boards. I had been talking about something that I had learned at a conference that he had also been at, so he sent me an email. I invited him to stop by my office and a couple days later he did. We talked for about a half-hour. That's the last I've heard from him. I don't know if he signed up here or not.

I've also gotten a few jobs from some of the members here, but all of them are from out of (my) town, so we've just coresponeded by email and snail mail.

You're right, the US is huge. I've only been to a handful of the states in my life, most of them being along the Atlantic Coast and a little bit in the Southwest. I've never been to the Pacific Coast, although I'd love to someday. To put things in perspective, take a look at a map of the US. Fiind Rochester, NY (where I live) at the Southern edge of Lake Ontario. Then find the large body of water right in the Center of Massachusetts. That's the Quabbin Resevoir, the water supply for the city of Boston. My parents live at the souther tip of that. The drive is about 300 miles (about 483 km) and takes over 5 hours, and that's only a tiny portion of the whole country.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Loyal Client
    Kansas would be a great place for a meet, since its in the middle of everything

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by Ron
    Secondly, with global warming, it's nearly 35C all the time in Michigan during the winters now*.

*This message is brought to you by the Detroit Chamber of Commerce. Source: Broken thermometer outside our window.
    I am now impressed you spoke of celsis lol.....
    Usually american people never understand the way in Japan , we are on metric and celsis, you are on feet&inches ( this is what you call "imperial system" ??) and ferrenheit.

When I traveled around Europe by myself holding a backpack on my back when i was a college student which is more than 20 years ago ( don't calculate how old i am! lol ), I got a fever in Granada Spain and asked the inn staff I stayed in to borrow a body temperture themometer and it said it was 100!
    I thought I was boiling out, didn't know they were on ferrenheit.
    I think 100 F = approx. 37.7C. So it was just a slight fever.
    But i seriously felt i might die lol.... When you travel somewhere your mother tongue never works, you feel lonely especially when you get sick!!
    Cozy home in country.

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by Ron
    you can't take a right turn at Louisiana with their left blinker on.
    Hum... what does this above exactly mean? Slang?
    Cozy home in country.

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by mattsiegman
    Kansas would be a great place for a meet, since its in the middle of everything
    Kansas??? I have driven through Kansas many times and can only comment on that state's outstanding performance in the understated application of sameness.

I suspect the cheapest and most direct airfare would lead most people to Las Vegas or Atlantic City (while offering added incentive).

---unless you are from Kansas.

Loyal Client
    Actually, its $200 cheaper to fly to Philadelphia from here. I know because I'm going to Atlantic City from July 5 - July 30 to visit friends and to obtain cash on the Boardwalk (by working).

Wichita, Kansas is a great place if you're only visiting, after a couple months, there isn't much to do

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by mattsiegman
    after a couple months, there isn't much to do
    Perhaps same everywhere. Depends on what you are interesterd in. City type persons will be bored if they spend much time in countryside, country type persons will get tired of cities if they do the same.

But it's always interesting to visit somewhere else especially when it's a different culture.

Wichita - ever heard some song related to it.
    Perhaps "Wichita line man"? if i remember right.
    Does anyone know it?
    Cozy home in country.

Loyal Client
    I know the white stripes mention us in a song...

If you've ever flown on a Boeing jet, chances are that at least part of it was made here...

If you've ever eaten at a Pizza Hut, the first was here