Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on FTP error message in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I have used FTP many times before and never had this problem. But now I'm am getting an error saying: 500 I won't open a ...

FTP error message

I have used FTP many times before and never had this problem. But now I'm am getting an error saying:

500 I won't open a connection for 192.100.100.6 (only to xx.xxx.xxx.150)
    425 No data connection

I know that my lan address is 192.100.100.6 and the other ip address (only to xx.xxx.xxx.150) is the gateway address of my linux machine which has a static ip address of (xx.xxx.xxx.145).

What is going on here? Never had this happen before.

Are you trying to connect to a machine on your local network? The 192 net is a reserved netblock for testing/internal networks and is commonly used for home routers and WiFi devices. No 192 net address should ever be touching the Internet, so you must be connecting to a local machine. If you were connecting to an outside machine you'd be seeing the IP address of your router's outside port instead of 192.something.

Check your settings and make sure you are allowing "outside" machines to connect to your FTP server. It kind of looks like you may have it configured to allow local connections only. If you've recenly updated your software you may have overwritten your previous settings.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

I've finally came to the conclusion that is has something to do with the way NAT is setup on my system. I running a RedHat Fedora Core 2 system. NAT works throughout my network but for some reason is not translating the internal IP address correctly. I can access the machine by SSH, WWW, FTP, & PPTP which is what I want. This is my first time setting up iptables manually. I'll figure it out, but I know after some research that is has nothing to do with Jag FTP server.

Randy

Heh! NAT... can't bet it!

Make sure you are using the right ports - 20 and 21 if memory serves me.
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Loyal Client
    Make sure you use PASSIVE mode for FTP transfers.

both ftp ports are open. I'll try passive mode and see if it works. My question is why do FTP servers (Jag's and mine at my house) think I have the IP address of my LAN connected machine instead of the address of the server. If I put a PHP page on my site with phpinfo() in it the REMOTE_ADDR varible shows the address of my linux server like it should. Oh well, this isn't really a problem that should be discussed on Jag since it really has nothing to do with my website or access to it. I'll keep working on it.

Randy

How about showing us your iptable? Maybe it's something obvious, like port 20/21 are using a different gateway, or whatever...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

I decided just to use Firestarter firewall tool again. It does the iptables for me. As soon as I reinstalled it everything works fine. I guess I'll do some more reading on iptables and filters since I hate taking the easy way out and would rather learn how they work.

Originally posted by randyriegel
    ...I hate taking the easy way out and would rather learn how they work...
    I've noticed that about you. Very commendable! I'm the same way...

Most ppl learn about computers the same way they learned about sex - reading books and masturbating themselves. I've found, in life, that experience is the best teacher...