Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Email and domain forwarding services in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
G'day there, I've been a happy JaguarPC customer for some months now. In that time I've seen my web site go from an average of ...

Email and domain forwarding services

G'day there,

I've been a happy JaguarPC customer for some months now. In that time I've seen my web site go from an average of 100,000 hits per day to a recent peak of 491,000 hits per day. I've used your PHP scripting and MySQL support to add phpBB forums and the Advanced Guestbook to my web site. And through it all, the Jaguar web hosting service hasn't missed a beat. Well done guys.

I am also the founder, inaugural president and life member of the 20-year old Melbourne PC User Group. With more than 10,000 members, Melb PC oscilates between being the largest or second largest such user group in the world.

Melb PC runs a very popular and well respected ISP service for its members, providing its Internet Service subscribers with the usual email address, email mailbox and simple web space as most ISPs do.

I'm planing to write an article about how members could register their own personal domain names (e.g. <your domain>.id.au), and get their domain's email and web services directed to their Melb PC ISP service.

Does JaguarPC have a cheap and simple to use email and domain forwarding service that I could recommend in my article? If so, what is the pricing?

Naturally, I will also be telling the members that if they want more sophisticated web hosting and email support for their new domain name, they should be using the JaguarPC web hosting service, as I do.

Best Regards,

Lloyd Borrett.

To my knowledge, JPC does not offer any "email only" services. At the retail level, all they offer is the GigaDeal. However, Emon offers such a service with their domain registrations, and JPC's AletiaNic service is a reseller for Enom, so I guess that indirectly JPC does offer this service. Unfortunately, in order to use these services you have to have registered the domain name through AletiaNic/Enom, and they do not offer .au domains.

Why doesn't your group consider becoming a reseller for JPC's services? You'd then be able to sell all of the benefits of JPC's service under your brand label, and you'd make a monthly profit from it as well. Since you are already an established ISP you probably have the resources in place to handle the support requests and the billing. Plus, as a reseller, you'd be able to offer a wider range of plans than just the GigaDeal, including a "LitePlan" that would cost you USD2.95 per client per month. This plan includes a minimal 50Mb storage and 2Gb transfer, but you could resell it at twice the price and it would still be very attractive to users who are just looking for simple hosting under their own domain.

Just a thought.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for the kind remarks, word of mouth is always the best way for JPC to grow.

I hope Jason has answered your questions... all advertised plans have unlimited e-mail accounts but we offer no e-mail only service.

Again thanks for the pat on the back.

from up over,
    Brandon
    Brandon Lawler
    Jaguar Technologies LLC

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_borrett
    I've been a happy JaguarPC customer for some months now. In that time I've seen my web site go from an average of 100,000 hits per day to a recent peak of 491,000 hits per day...
    Really?

I'm an admin on the PHP-Nuke support site. We get about 70,000-90,000 hits a day, and there are always 200-300 ppl online at any given time. Doing a little math, we would need over 1,000 ppl online, all day and all night to get 491,000 hits.

Are you sure you're getting that kind of traffic?
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Hrm...

I just ran across this:
    Google gets 35% of all web site traffic or 112 million hits per day!
    Yahoo gets 32% of all web site traffic or 105 million hits per day!
    MSN gets 12% of all web site traffic or 39 million hits per day!
    AOL gets 4.9% of all web site traffic or 15 million hits per day.
    AltaVista gets 1.7% of all web site traffic or 6 million hits per day.
    SOURCE: http://www.biztechlink.com/search_engines.html

While you aren't even close to Google, you're getting almost 10% as such traffic as AltaVista.

Woo hoo! Go Jag!
    Last edited by Vin DSL; 09-24-2004 at 04:48 AM.
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Loyal Client
    Yeah, with a 10yo group that has around 10,000 members, it'd be pretty easy for him to get that many hits, I would think.

|| $name ne 'R.Stiltskin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Galen
    ...a 10yo group that has around 10,000 members, it'd be pretty easy for him to get that many hits...
    Wow! But how did you get this information? Has Jag posted this before? I feel even more insignificant every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Spathiphyllum
    Wow! But how did you get this information?
    It's in the opening post..
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

|| $name ne 'R.Stiltskin'
    Whoops, brain freeze. For some reason I thought it was a reference to clients at JaguarPC. My bad.

Since that post about my site traffic on www.borrett.id.au, daily traffic continued to fluctuate with some very high peaks and less spectactular lower points. I now take more notice of the monthly figures from AWSTAT, as that gives me a better feel for the overall trend.

March 2005 set another monthly high point with:
    * 41,342 unique visitors
    * 57,045 visits
    * 163,215 pages served
    * 2,646,512 hits
    which consumed 8.09 GB of bandwidth.

I don't do anything to try and generate traffic. It just comes as it comes.

Best Regards, Lloyd.