Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on phpMyChat example? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I need to set up a chat room for a company very quickly, as another option we were going to use has backed out. I ...

Loyal Client

phpMyChat example?

I need to set up a chat room for a company very quickly, as another option we were going to use has backed out. I see that phpMyChat is one of our options here. Does anyone know how many concurrent users phpMyChat will allow? We may have up to 100 or so.

Secondly, I have looked all over for an example chat room so I can try it out before installing it but I can't find one. Does anyone have it set up where I could try a short chat to see how it works?

It is important that the chat support certain features: copy/paste from the discussion, live links in the discussion, and the ability to save a transcript of the discussion. Does phpMyChat allow these things?

I have about four days to get this arranged, and am somewhat in a panic. Thanks for any help you can provide, especially if you know of somewhere I can test the interface.

Hello Hyperact,

From the documentation that I read, phpMyChat boasts that hundreds of users can chat simultaneously. Allowing you to run chat rooms of any size.

*** EDITED ***
    Brandon Lawler
    Jaguar Technologies LLC

Ron
    Loyal Client
    phpMyChat is a horrible, unsupported piece of software, that hasn't been udated ion years, and half my users couldn't use it, the other half's browsers kept crashing (including mine) and the third half were on AOL and couldn't use it.

Right now I'm using ARSC (A Really Simple Chat) but it's not that much better, and to modify any of it's templates, you'll have to write a program to extract all of the templates from the database update them and write them back. A truly horrible approach.

Let me know if you find a better solution that doesn't require java and / or javascript.

Good luck!!!

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    phpMyChat is a horrible, unsupported piece of software, that hasn't been udated ion years, and half my users couldn't use it, the other half's browsers kept crashing (including mine) and the third half were on AOL and couldn't use it.
    I guess that puts it right out then. We need widespread compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    Let me know if you find a better solution that doesn't require java and / or javascript.
    I have scoured the web, and virtually everything out there is Java or HTML with auto-refresh. There are a couple of online meeting sites that are exactly what we need (WebEx, for example) but they are too expensive.

Loyal Client

Found one

Just to wrap this up, we have settled on PULPchat <http://www.pulpchat.com/welcome.php>. This is a professional chat facility, using no Java, no blinking refresh, and with no special client download required. You can customize the chat appearance and they will provide branding so that you can display your logo, match your web site, etc. They were extremely helpful and agreed to expedite our account in order to meet our deadline. They even called me back on the phone to finalize the last-minute details. We are very pleased.

If you are happy with a very small chat (5 people max) you can use it indefinitely for free. Larger chats are very reasonably priced. I recommend this place if you are looking for a professional online chat service. Nice guys over there, too.

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Thanks! I'll check them out.