Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Did all hell break loose? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Is it just me or did all hell break loose here this morning? I woke up to find an e-mail from a user saying the ...

Loyal Client

Did all hell break loose?

Is it just me or did all hell break loose here this morning? I woke up to find an e-mail from a user saying the site was unreachable. The time of the e-mail was 12:34am and I woke up at 7:30 to find ALL my sites unreachable including Jag's forum and main page. Tracert's crapped out all over the place. Then a few minutes ago all is normal and not a peep from anyone! Was it a dream?

Also, anyone having permission problems with their Gallery software? Three days ago I found Gallery running on 3 different sites had their permissions mysteriously changed.

Sam

It wasnt a dream. There has been some odd network activity for people using some of the upstream providers. It was very sporatic and it appears only a small segment of users were affected. The network guys have a temporary solution in place that is keeping everything normal now. A permenant solution is coming and there should be no further disruption.

I am waiting for more concrete information before I post an announcement.
    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer

Need a Manager?
    (pm) | (email) Greg, Chief Executive Officer

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Both of my machines we affected, and on the site where there is a lot of traffic, the site was apparently unreachable for about 7 minutes, and sporadically unreachable for a while after that. I couldn't get to any of the "Jag Complex" for about 20 minutes.

Not a complaint at all, just passing along some info.

Hrm... I can't really see where my site[s] skipped a beat, all day, all night. All the hourly stats look normal to me.

Odd!
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Les
    ...it appears only a small segment of users were affected...
    I assume you mean web site users, not JagPC clients, right? Well, that is, unless the affected web site users happened to be JagPC clients also...

All I know is, my stats are NOT askew!
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

You know, that's the problem with those monitoring services. You gotta take them with a grain of salt. I don't know how many times, over the years, I couldn't reach my site, only to find out I could connect via a Russian proxy, or whatever. Just because an edge router on UUNET is jacked up doesn't mean the rest of the world cannot see your site. It's luck o' the draw...

Loyal Client
    whoever said anything about monitoring services?
    Last edited by muks; 05-02-2005 at 01:48 PM.