Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on Gulp! Is Everything Creeping for You? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
...or is it just me? I've been going through an incredibly weird time the last week or so. Yesterday, the hard drives on my PC ...

Question Gulp! Is Everything Creeping for You?

...or is it just me?

I've been going through an incredibly weird time the last week or so. Yesterday, the hard drives on my PC were worked over by someone or something, and I'm trying to recover/restore what I can.

I had to install the OS again. All my downloads are gone, and my address book, and my bookmarks, but everything else seems to be there. Sounds like a trojan or something. Who knows?

Anyway, my web site at JagPC is creeping. Dittos with this web board. The bandwidth test, on my site, reports I'm transferring data at 127Kbps. However, the DSLR speed test report around 1200Kbps.

So, the question is: Are YOU experiencing slowdowns here too?
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Heh! Never mind! I just answered my own question...

I looked in my bandwidth test, and NOBODY has clocked over (like) 300Kbps since 6:00PM server time, e.g. the last 2 hours. So, I disabled testing.

Houston, we have a problem!
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Loyal Client
    I guess it's fixed already, because everything is working good for me...

Hello Vin,

We did have a slight network slowdown overnight, but early this morning everything was returned to normal.
    Brandon Lawler
    Jaguar Technologies LLC

Loyal Client
    had the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    Hello Vin,

We did have a slight network slowdown overnight, but early this morning everything was returned to normal.
    Yes! Thank you!

I have enabled my bandwidth test again, and everything is normal. It appears that there were problems for about 12 hours. No big deal!

In view of everything else that's been happening to me, it was a rather minor annoyance. I just figured, that's the way it's going, so why fight it?

Normally, I would have contacted 'Tech Support', but I went to bed instead...

As a follow-up, something got into this PC and deleted 'everything Microsoft'. Looking around the web - Panda Software in particular - it seems that there is a class of Trojans out there, right now, that converts all your files into a single file, then deletes that file. In hindsight, my first clue should have been when I emptied my 'recycle bin' and it took like a minute or two to supposedly 'empty' two files. As it turns out, even if I had known what's going on, you cannot restore these files, as the Trojan corrupts the files in the 'recycle bin' and makes them unrecoverable.

In my case, whatever 'infected' my computer deleted anything and everything that had to do with Microsoft software, including my user files (address book, favorites, et cetera). Since I had downloaded Microsoft updates, over the years, onto this machine, it deleted all downloads in that folder, Microsoft or not, blah, blah, blah, plus the OS. I've gone through two days of pure hell trying to patch this thing back together.

So, having my site run at 1/10th the normal speed didn't particularly bother me...

Heh! Here we go again, with the network slowdown!

Two weeks later, to the day...

Sombody was having a little too much fun on one of the shared machines and it's been stopped. Your connection speeds should be back to normal.

These idiots like to pick days they know limited staffing is available so it can take a little longer to clear up problems like this, but they didn't have a whole lot of fun this time.
    Eric E. [[email protected]]
    Jaguar Technologies, LLC
    JaguarPC.com * DedicatedSpace.com

|| $name ne 'R.Stiltskin'
    Yep, FTP/SCP has had repeated disconnects for me during the past 1.5hrs and the forum had been unresponsive; however, tracert and ping was just fine. My domain was practically inaccessible but not totally offline. Finally got fed up and logged in to check network status - several servers with hiccups with gold not breathing any services. Mine was serving just fine according to diagnostic reports but who knows how accurate the polling was.

Initially thought it was a DNS issue but that was discounteded pretty quickly. Makes one wonder if some cracking over the holiday weekend was going on. I always get suspicious when things happen late-night/early morning on long weekends. Fortunately, these episodes are fairly rare.

I wonder... does a single point failure on VPS system compromise the array? Is the VPS even set-up as an array of servers? Or is the array (if it is an array) actually considerably more stable given the nature of some redundancy? The reason I ask is that occasionally my server will seem unresponsive, but according to the network status report, everything is nice and green. However another server will be blinking like a christmas tree and the instant it clears up, my server becomes responsive again. Granted, I'm not on VPS so this is puzzling. Also, the DNS servers are always OK and the hiccups are not dependent on any particular troubled server.

These observations are anecdotal, I know; but it would be interesting to know how one "downed" server would (or even could) clog the whole collection of servers. I'll not speculate on too much here since I'd be drawing conclusions from a very limited dataset.

Oh well, things have cleared up so it's time to get back to work.

Looks like Eric posted while I was still typing. Glad to see he settled this issue.
    Last edited by Spathiphyllum; 05-29-2005 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Noted Eric's response

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Your connection speeds should be back to normal...
    Sorry, Captain, but it's still creeping (in Arizona). I was on a 1.5MB DSL earlier, but I'm on a DS3 connection right now (tests around 9 MB/sec to JagPC normally), and it's STILL painfully slow...

On my site, the server load is almost zero, because the network is so slow, I'm guessing, so it isn't that. And, the page generation time is about 1 sec, which is normal, but it takes about 30 seconds or more to display.

Also, this web board is creeping too, so 'we' still have a problem!

Loyal Client
    same here on patriot. server load seems ok and normal. but the page display is a pain. it loads a little and then pauses and then seconds after loads again. what's going on?

Loyal Client
    submitted a ticket and it seems ok now.

Quote Originally Posted by muks
    same here... what's going on?
    DOS attack, evidently: http://jaguarpc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12476

Seems like 'they' got a handle on it, for now...

Loyal Client
    I haven't had any problems with speed but get an error connecting to the db as mentioned in this thread

So all my fluff pages are fine. But visitors can't get to any of the pages where we actually sell something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast