Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Trying to set up subdomain in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Ok, I used cpanel to add a new subdomain justdesserts so i guess it should read as this? www.justdesserts.keepers-of-the-light.org (keepers-of-the-light.org is my main domain) i ...

Loyal Client

Question Trying to set up subdomain

Ok, I used cpanel to add a new subdomain justdesserts

so i guess it should read as this?

www.justdesserts.keepers-of-the-light.org (keepers-of-the-light.org is my main domain) i wanted to add a sub domain because i run two guilds and wanted another section to add a seperate forum. However when i try to look it up, it says Page can not be found. Did i do something wrong?

I have not added a redirection as i read up on the suggestions from you guys before i did it. And i let cpanel do all the work. But its not pulling up anything. Have i messed something up? or Do you think perhaps Jaguar is gonna take a little bit before it will be up and ready? Should i wait a little while before sending in a support ticket? I just wanted to make sure i have not done anything wrong before i send in a ticket, and show then how really stupid i am. Im really new to this. anyway any help is much appreciated. Also.. once it does propogate. (and the subdomain works) how do i go about adding a forum to that sub domain? Would i Redownload another PHP forum to it? i like to use the php forums as they are the best that ive seen. I apologize if im not making too much sense, im trying to be descriptive as possible, and I did look up a (google) search to see if i was doing everything right. From what i can tell i have. Should i give my sub domain at least 24 hours before thinking anything is up with it? Again, if you can help i really appreciate it and if not, Thanks for at least reading my thread to see if it was something that could assist you. Also once i discover what was wrong (if anything) i will post a reply on everything that was done to fix/solve my issue.
    Last edited by mommykithana; 08-12-2005 at 12:33 AM.

Loyal Client

Red face ok an update :)

Ok looks like i just had to let jaguar takes its time to get it all up and runnin (gotta love cpanel) now... if i figure out how to add another forum inside this sub domain before someone can suggest how i do that, i will be sure to update once again. So for now, Just info on how to add a php forum, to this subdomain justdesserts would be awsome. again thanks for reading. (woot i love figuring things out for myself)

oh and i also had to make this in my subdomain folder that i noticed

index.html

gotta love finding info on google. (it dont always work for me, but its a charm)
    Last edited by mommykithana; 08-12-2005 at 01:00 AM.

Loyal Client

OK, another update

Did i read right, and Only one forum can be used on my domain? I have a forum for one guild on my webiste www.keepers-of-the-light.org

i would like to use a seperate forum for my other guild on my subdomain of www.justdesserts.keepers-of-the-light.org.

How do I set that up? not sure im understanding the help forums that im looking up through google/jaguar.

*edited for spelling

Quote Originally Posted by mommykithana
    ...i wanted to add a sub domain because i run two guilds and wanted another section to add a seperate forum. However when i try to look it up, it says Page can not be found. Did i do something wrong?
    Setting up a subdomain is uber-simple. I do it all the time - takes 2 seconds. The hard part is NOT getting carried away. It's so simple, it's hard!

I suggest you read this... http://jaguarpc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8716

This post is over two years old, but captures the essence of making a subdomain, here at JagPC.
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Did i read right, and Only one forum can be used on my domain?
    You can have as many forums as you want...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Loyal Client
    thanks for the fast reply, believe it or not i found that first post of yours about that forum about 15-20 minutes after i posted my questions (go figure) I just had to let it sit for a bit ... basically my question is now... On my sub domain, how to i point it to a forum? such as phpbb. Ive looked all over on www.phpbb.com and here but nothing really points on how to set it up on a sub domain and im a little confused. Any suggestions? Thanks again for the reply

Hrm...

I run phpBB, but not as a standalone, so I cannot answer that question without doing a little questioning of my own. Is phpBB the only thing in that subdomain, e.g. the index.php for phpBB is in the root directory of the subdomain, or do you run phpBB in a folder, inside the subdomain?

LoL! Does that question make sense?

Loyal Client
    Basically from what i can tell, i need to install phpbb into my sub domain... so being the smart person that i thought i was, i went into fantastico (and clicked install phpbb2 into the subdomain justdesserts.keepers-of-the-light.org But now when i pull up the page... alot of the pictures are not showing up and im being told in my admin panel that i am not up to date. Do you know how to fix that? i went to phpbb.com website but it just shows urls to download the up to date 2.0.17 i think. ATM i have 2.0.16.

if i download the update will it know where to go... or do i have to tell it where to go? basically atm... my forum appears to be working but if you were to go to www.justdesserts.keepers-of-the-light.org you will see that my pictures are not working... at least to me they are not.. (not all the pictures just some)

Loyal Client
    Hmm, now the page wount even display... i went into fantastico and installed phpbb2 but when i went to uninstall it will not uninstall it.. can i manually delete those files and it will be gone???
    Last edited by mommykithana; 08-12-2005 at 02:23 AM.

Yeah, I think I'd start from scratch, and leave the 'www' part off the subdomain. That might be jacking things up. I think I would just use 'justdesserts' as the subdomain name.
    Last edited by Vin DSL; 08-12-2005 at 02:27 AM.

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin DSL
    Yeah, I think I'd start from scrath, and leave the 'www' part off the subdomain. That might be jacking things up. I think I would just use 'justdesserts' as the subdomain name.

actually i just put in justdesserts.keepers-of-the-light.org and its still not working also now fantastico will not uninstall the phpbb2 ... growl... also i just deleted the sub domain, and then redid it... and wanna know what... (phpbb2 showed up again in that domain... shouldnt it have been deleted too) looks like this is a job for tech support

...looks like this is a job for tech support..(
    Can't argue with that...

Loyal Client
    ok, i got it fixed and everything is ready once again. But when i tried to copy phpbb2 again to the justdesserts.keepers-of-the-light.org directory it said ...

Install phpBB2 (2/3)

The installation can not be completed:

- You cannot install more than one script in the root directory of a domain.

What exactly does this mean?

What exactly does this mean?
    Since you didn't uninstall phpBB through Fantastico it thinks that it is still installed in your subdomain's root (top level directory). If you still can't uninstall it (through Fantastico) you may need to open another support ticket.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com