Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on Lead Programmer of phpBB calls it quits... in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum

Post Lead Programmer of phpBB calls it quits...

The lead programmer of phpBB, psoTFX, has quit. psoTFX's real name is Paul Owens. Paul states:
    Finally I took the decision I should’ve taken two or three months ago … I quit phpBB. I’m sure some of you, the idiot brigade will say “Good riddens”. Fine, no problem, you probably have the mentality of a deranged gnat (appologies to the gnat) so your opinion counts for … erm … less than nothing.

...phpBB I believe came along at just the right time, well, version 2.0 anyway … the alternatives at that stage were vBulletin, an excellent board but at a relatively “high” price, UBB same as vB except for the excellent part and ikonboard, again an excellent board but one which was being banned at an increasing rate due to its performance issues (mainly that it was written in Perl of course). phpBB offered a good all round solution … for free … gratis … nowt … nada. What’s more support was free, extras were free, localisation … yep, free. An entirely free (as in beer …) project...

I honestly feel that had phpBB not existed the explosion of community fora would have been considerably lessened...
    I can't help but agree...

Source: http://www.starstreak.net/blog/2005/09/14/im-free/
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL © 2010

Ron
    Loyal Client
    HE ran the project like an idiot. HE caused himself all the problems. HE changed version 2.2 into 3.0 through poor management and scope creep. HE obsoleted his own skins. HE prevented others from joining in and helping the project. It has been about 3 years since HE promised a 2.2 enhancements release.

HE thinks riddance is spelled with an s ...and HE calls his "customers" deranged gnats?

HE is a confused, overwhelmed and bitter person.

But I do agree with his conclusion. Too bad HE has been letting it die and wither on the vine.

You know, having been involved with various web development communities over the years, all I can tell you is -- I've seen this happen over n' over n' over again. It's almost like it's the same person, cause-for-cause, attitude-for-attitude, word-for-word, over-and-over. It amazes me, really. It's almost like some sort of shared psychological defect that all lead developers have. In the real world, I've noticed that many engineers share these same traits.

Heh! Does that observation make any sense?
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

|| $name ne 'R.Stiltskin'
    I know nothing of this particular fellow or his product, so nothing I say is an indictment of him or his methods.

As far as a template of behavior by certain leads, you may be right, Vin, about a psychological phenomenon in practice. I imagine it takes a bit of arrogance, stubborness, and dedication to get a project (particularly a popular one) off the ground. The project is one's "baby" and turning it over and sharing responsibility with others of various trustworthiness is a pretty good leap of faith. On top of that, there isn't direct remuneration for the effort and the demands escalate as the product gets a wider audience. That's a lot of pressure and a tough position to handle. Sure, some have better social skills and may have successes elsewhere; conversely, they may fail in places where an "ass" may succeed.

Having developed my own products, I'd not readily release responsibility to others without some pretty tight demands. In some regards it's a flaw and others a merit. But then again, nothing I will produce will have the wide dissemination into the public domain that a bulletin board will have; so, I don't have as much pressure turning me into an idiot. Nonetheless, I don't doubt there are shared traits either inherent or absorbed that project developers exhibit. Call it a profile.

It's something that can happen easily. A lead developer got into it to develop something. Once it gets of the ground he finds a lot of other tasks keep him from doing that developing he likes to do / wants to focus on. Basically he get pushed into a management role he didn't want. I've seen a project or two that did succeed, by attracting a manager at that time and allowing the lead developer to remain just that.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

Ron
    Loyal Client
    I'm not sure if Vin was refering to Paul... or to me

Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    I'm not sure if Vin was refering to Paul... or to me
    Clever boy...

Ron,

As you know Vin is always cordial to this community, so I'm certain he wasn't referring to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spathiphyllum
    Ron,

As you know Vin is always cordial to this community, so I'm certain he wasn't referring to you.
    Never assume...

Drat. Posted before I could squeak by.

Dang it. Did it again. What are you on... speed dial?

Quote Originally Posted by Spathiphyllum
    Dang it. Did it again. What are you on... speed dial?
    Heh! Amazing, huh?

Loyal Client
    Sweet, maybe YaBB will pickup some of its market share. (He didn't mention us, although we were around longer than ikonBoard [hell, Matt Mecham was on the YaBB team before he start iB])

So, what's the next best BB/Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    So, what's the next best BB/Forum?
    I've become a fan of PunBB. Its fast, full-featured, extensible, and XHTML compliant.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast