Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Opera Browser Is Now Free in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
To increase market share, the underdog browser company offers Opera free of charge. Ten years after it launched the first version of its browser, Norwegian ...

Post Opera Browser Is Now Free

To increase market share, the underdog browser company offers Opera free of charge.

Ten years after it launched the first version of its browser, Norwegian software company Opera Software said Tuesday it will start giving away its underdog browser Opera for free as it seeks to catch up with its nearest rival Firefox and capture greater market share.

The move means that Opera, which has a relatively small but fiercely loyal fan base, will remove the ads from the basic version of its browser and will no longer charge a licensing fee for the premium ad-free version...
    Source: http://www.redherring.com/Article.as...netAndServices
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

|| $name ne 'R.Stiltskin'
    Oh well. Already bought the licenses for it so I did my good deed. However, they are wise to do this. I've switched back to Mozilla (and FireFox) despite having paid for Opera. The Mozilla project and its active development are that good. MSIE would be in tough shape without its monopoly.

Good to know. I recently had my PC rebuilt and lost some licensing information like Opera. I don't use Opera often but I do like to check pages from time to time with Opera.

Wish there was an article that compares firefox vs opera...can't seem to find one. ^^
    If you see me posting, there must be bad news. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi li
    Wish there was an article that compares firefox vs opera...can't seem to find one. ^^
    I think this says it all...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spathiphyllum
    I've switched back to Mozilla (and FireFox) despite having paid for Opera. The Mozilla project and its active development are that good...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Loyal Client
    I don't like Mozilla. It loads noticebly slower than IE. I know it is a lame reason for many, but I am always in a hurry

All part of the grand plan

Quote Originally Posted by gerilya
    I don't like Mozilla. It loads noticebly slower than IE. I know it is a lame reason for many, but I am always in a hurry
    Yes, that is a lame reason. My guess is that if you are referring to initial application loading into memory on start up, then the real load time is being concealed since some components of the IE browser are incorporated into the OS during boot. By default those components are already in memory before the whole browser app is ever called. It's all part of the Borg's conspiracy to keep you hooked. Evil buggers!

Loyal Client
    Yes, that is a lame reason. My guess is that if you are referring to initial application loading into memory on start up, then the real load time is being concealed since some components of the IE browser are incorporated into the OS during boot. By default those components are already in memory before the whole browser app is ever called. It's all part of the Borg's conspiracy to keep you hooked. Evil buggers!
    Even if some parts are being shared as ActiveX/DLLs (and not on kernel level) they are still loaded because I always have a bunch of MS applications running.

Whatever the reason, though, my personal browsing experience is better with IE: besides load times, the websites on my screen look exactly like on other 90-95% screens

Conformist!

Just an FYI I thought I'd share. It's actually something that I have wanted for years and wondered why it hadn't ever been implemented. Naturally, Mozilla "invented" it.

It's a CSS style directive to help create rounded corners. It's great for xHTML design when you don't want to create and load images for curves.

-moz-border-radius-topleft: n(ex|em|px|%);
    -moz-border-radius-topright: n(ex|em|px|%);
    -moz-border-radius-bottomleft: n(ex|em|px|%);
    -moz-border-radius-bottomright: n(ex|em|px|%);

Another one of those things MSIE might get around to doing once they get that tabbed browser thing going.

Quote Originally Posted by gerilya
    Bah!

I'm running on a 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4 Hyper-Treading Razamataz-whatever PC. Everything is fast. It's so fast that it bores me! I can't even remember what I got in this thing, but it smokes...

Anyway, Mozilla works fine, even on my slow computer, at work. It just takes a while to load. If you don't want to wait, there is a way to load it into memory at boot-up, just like MS Word, and so forth.

Incidently, Mozilla is what I'm using right now...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915

Loyal Client
    It's a CSS style directive to help create rounded corners. It's great for xHTML design when you don't want to create and load images for curves.

-moz-border-radius-topleft: n(ex|em|px|%);
    -moz-border-radius-topright: n(ex|em|px|%);
    -moz-border-radius-bottomleft: n(ex|em|px|%);
    -moz-border-radius-bottomright: n(ex|em|px|%);

Another one of those things MSIE might get around to doing once they get that tabbed browser thing going.
    There is a spec for the border-radius property in the working draft of CSS 3 over at the W3C - http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-ba...-border-radius

Although there have been optimistic rumours of better CSS support in the next version of IE, I wouldn't hold my breath for the border-radius.