Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Is JaguarPC in low-lying in Houston in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I am in out side US, my knowelage is poor about US I just read in BBC that low-lying Huston area is evacuating now due ...

Loyal Client

Is JaguarPC in low-lying in Houston

I am in out side US, my knowelage is poor about US
    I just read in BBC that low-lying Huston area is evacuating now due to Hurricane Rita approaches.
    I just wonder, is our date/servers is safe?

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Safe is a relative term: Please see the postings at:

http://forum.jaguarpc.com/showthread.php?t=12864
    and
    http://jaguarpc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12784

Bottom line is they have made preparations, and have plans to resume business after a disruption, but you need to take a backup of your own site as well.

Personally, I have begged them to get all of their employees out of harm's way, my website is expendable. Even if it weren't, the possibility that they'd be able to physically do anything to keep the datacenter up and running in horrible circumstances is minute, and human life is more valuable than having a few days of outage.

Good luck with your site, and good luck to JAG.
    Last edited by Ron; 09-22-2005 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Uck! Typos!

See the News and Announcements section of the forums for the offical word from management. Basically, according to that statement, the data center is not located in an area that would sustain a direct hit from the storm. Regardless, the roof is reenforced to withstand hurricane-force winds in excess of anything that has ever been recorded in the area. The building is also outside of the 500-year flood plane, so if the city of Houston gets flooded it isn't likely that the data center would be affected by that, either. Should power fail, the generators have full tanks of gas and would keep the servers up and running. Also, most of the network providers that JPC uses have underground lines to the datacenter, so connectivity won't fail as a result of downed wires between the data center and network provider. (These a just statements made by Jag, paraphrased by me. I have no way of confirming or denying their accuracy.)

In case of a catastrophic failure at the data center, JPC has a failover plan in place to move all sites to a facility in Dallas (about 250 mi/402 km inland).

From the looks of things, the JPC disaster plan is well thought out and should ensure that our sites stay up and running. Hopefully, though, it won't have to be put to the test. Regardless, make sure you have a recent backup of your site, just in case.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Loyal Client
    Thanks guys, hope for the best.

And the best we did receive, inclduing all your support! Thank you all. I have not been able to reach one person in our staff yet but the rest have all checked in fine. In fact some of us are returning to work be it at home or the office to help dwindle down the building sales queue.
    Greg Landis | Founder
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at [email protected].

Need a Manager?

(pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Larry, Customer Service Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Jag
    And the best we did receive, inclduing all your support! Thank you all. I have not been able to reach one person in our staff yet but the rest have all checked in fine. In fact some of us are returning to work be it at home or the office to help dwindle down the building sales queue.
    Well that is good news.

But there is never an excuse for a "building sales queue"

Greg glad you are safe, and hope the rest of the staff is.