Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Fantastico CMS reco? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
First of all, THANKS JAG!! Fantastico is...fantastic. I finally have the interactive events calendar I've needed! Does anyone have a recommendation for the various CMS ...

Loyal Client

Fantastico CMS reco?

First of all, THANKS JAG!! Fantastico is...fantastic. I finally have the interactive events calendar I've needed!

Does anyone have a recommendation for the various CMS options?

I'm not a techy, but I can usually figure things out as long as they're not too time consuming. I've read some of the reviews on OpensourceCMS.com, but would like input from this community.

Also, once I select a CMS, how difficult is it to migrate to another CMS if I'm either unsatisfied or need a more robust system?

Thanks!
    Theresa

Best bet would be to install a few of the samples and play around with them until you find one that works well for you. I set up test subdomains to do this kind of thing regularly. With fantastico it is easy to add and remove the software at will.

As for switching, some developers include converters that allow you to convert from one popular CMS to thier's, but I wouldn't get my hopes up that one would be available. They aren't that common. Since every package has its own unique database structure, it is difficult to move between packages easily. I hate to say this, but your best bet is to find one you like and hope for the best.
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Quote Originally Posted by thelocal
    Does anyone have a recommendation for the various CMS options?
    I'm rather partial to PHP-Nuke!

Okay, let me go see what's available on Fantastico...

Hrm...

Since they have PHP-Nuke 7.7 in Fantastico right now , which is buggier than a lollipop in an ant farm (7.6 is the way to go at the moment), I can't recommend the PHP-Nuke install with any degree of conscience.

Let's see... Drupal, Geeklog... Aha! Mambo, definitely!
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Loyal Client
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'll install the samples and play around. Any thoughts on Typo3? I read that there's a steep learning curve to get started, but then it's amazing.

Vin - why such a positive reco for Mambo? (Btw, love the bug metaphor.)

I've heard a lot of good things about Mambo, too. Same goes for Drupal. I installed Mambo once, a couple years ago, to try it out, but I never did anything with it. From what little I saw, I liked it. I've never tried Drupal.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak

Loyal Client
    OK, I installed Mambo and Typo3 in subdomains: mambo.thelocaltourist.com/mambo/administration and typo3.thelocaltourist.com/typo3, but I can't get to the admin pages. It says File Not Found.

Is there something I need to do with the subdomain?

Sometimes it takes a little while for the subdomains to start resolving. If they aren't working by tomorrow, open a support ticket and ask to have it looked at. I've seen a few occasions where subdomains don't get set up in the DNS servers correctly, but usually its just a propagation issue.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak

Loyal Client
    Thanks! I opened a ticket and they're now working.