Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Looking for a DVD converter in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Here's the rub: I created a DVD in Studio8. I was basically finished with the project when somehow the project became corrupted. I had one ...

Ron
    Loyal Client

Looking for a DVD converter

Here's the rub: I created a DVD in Studio8. I was basically finished with the project when somehow the project became corrupted. I had one change left to make to a title, but it was minor and frankly I don't even recall what it was. This was last June, so about 15 months ago.

Fortunately, the last thing I had done before the project was corrupted was to render the project. I "went to school" on DVD structure, and was able to figure out what files needed to be copied to the DVD to make it all work. Hurrah!

So fast forward 15 months, and I would like to take a few bits of the DVD and create a promo, but of course I can't open the project.

I could create an all-new project, and re-create the sections, but that would be unbelievably tedious.

I would like to take the source files, or even a copy of the DVD and "rip" it back to avi or mpg format, so that I can re-import it into studio, so I can clip bits out of it and make a promo. OR if the ripping software was sophisticated enough, I could do it directly from the DVD files/disc to the promo.

I would really like to do this for free. Are there any good/trustworthy free rippers out there, to convert my DVD files or disc into a .avi?

All the ones I find googling it are not free.

Thanks!

Hrm... Have you tried any of these?

http://www.downseek.com/search/?for=ripper

Many of them seem to be freeware/shareware...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Thanks... I was kind of hoping for a personal recommendation from someone who has used'em....

I would never use a ripper...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Yeah, well, you didn't videotape a sheepdog picnic and spend 50 hours editing it...