Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on is this speed normal? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hi all, i just got my vps setup few hours ago. regardless whether accessing virtuozzo or interworx CP the speed was about 2-3KB/s. I am ...

Loyal Client

is this speed normal?

Hi all,

i just got my vps setup few hours ago. regardless whether accessing virtuozzo or interworx CP the speed was about 2-3KB/s. I am in Singapore and i understand that the connection will not be as fast as those in States however is this speed normal?

couple of hours ago i realised that the sales team did not include mod_ssl during the setup of my account. sent in a support ticket to request for SSL. support stafss was friendly and it was a pleasure talking to him. However i have been told that to get mod_ssl, apache has to be recompiled and now waiting for senior admin to look into it.

i tend to think that my vps wasnt setup properly. it is slow and the mod is missing. Am i being over anxious or over worried? or the speed is actually far below normal? Should i request the support team to rebuild my vps to avoid future problem?

All advices are greatly appreaciated

thanks.

My VPS is not that slow. Runs just fine.

CAn't comment on the mod_ssl as the first thing I did was recompile apache, php and mysql to wha tI needed

Loyal Client
    whats your location and how your speed like tanks? i use opera and enable the status bar to show the transfer speed while accessing html. always around 2-3 KB/S

I can't comment on the speed or what's included in a standard VPS build as I don't have a VPS, at least not right now. You'd think that mod_ssl would be a prett standard thing these days, but it does add overhead to the system, so maybe JPC only installs it if a client asks for it, I don't know.

As far as tech support, I can comment. One very nice thing about hosting here is that it is very often the senior admins that are answering tickets when you open them during business hours. Being in the US, 99% of the tickets I open are done during business hours and all of my requests are handled quickly, usually within minutes. Overnight support isn't quite as responsive--tickets are still reviewed just as fast, but the overnight techs don't have a lot of authority and often have to defer requests until the next morning. Generally this isn't a big problem as the overnight techs do have the authority to handle urgent matters--like fixing crashes and whatnot--but when you need new features added you might need to wait a few hours.

As far as speed goes, it is entirely possible that there is a bottleneck somewhere along the path between you and the server and that it isn't the server that's running slow at all. This is especially true given the distance between you and the datacenter. The first thing that support will probably ask you for is a traceroute. Traceroute is a program that sends out a series of packets headed toward your server. Each packet goes out a certain number of "hops" and returns to you and you computer reports these returns back so that you can see the path and speed of your connection.

To run a traceroute on Windows, trype tracert <address> into a Command Prompt window. On most other OS's, including Mac OS X, use the full name "traceroute."

Example (all will trace the route to my server (silicon.nocdirect.com) in JPC's datacenter:
    tracert interbrite.com
    tracert silicon.nocdirect.com
    tracert 69.73.163.214

If you see and *'s in the list of response times when you run that command, those indicate timeouts and may be what is causing your slow speeds. Also look for any overly large time values in the output.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Loyal Client
    there are quite a number of problems with the box. in the end the support staff destroy and rebuild the vps.