Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on How can I creat catch all account in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I want to read all incoming and outgoing e-mail of my staff, so I want to creat an email account to do this. I see ...

Loyal Client

Question How can I creat catch all account

I want to read all incoming and outgoing e-mail of my staff, so I want to creat an email account to do this.
    I see forwarder in Cpanel but it seem the forward all incoming unrouted mail.
    Thanks.

There isn't an easy way to do this. A catch-all just directs any unrouted mail to a specified mailbox, so if someone sends something to a non-existant address you will still get it.

You might be able to set a forwarder for each of your staff's addresses to your address while maintaining a POP3 mailbox for each person. I think cPanel will forward a copy of each message while still delivering it, but I'm not 100% sure on this.

I don't think there is any way to capture outgoing messages.

You can also navigate through your Mail directory to look at individual mailbox files, but you won't be able to see messages that your staff deleted before you looked.

Personally, I wouldn't monitor my staff's mail (if I had a staff), as I'd feel like I was invading their privacy, but I know it does happen in many corporations. What is your reaason for wanting to monitor it?

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

you could use imap accounts and subscribe to them as well, but, as jason said, why monitor your staff ? i can understand you want to know what they tell a customer, but then why not user a helpdesk system (there are plenty out there), you also make sure your staff will not get big amounts of spam on their accounts either, which can eventually can cause them to delete 'valid' mails.

Kindest regards,
    Patrick
    p/s that in some countries you have to inform the staff if you are montoring their mail, company related or not.

A helpdesk system is not a serious replacement for e-mail.

Why monitor? Well simple; to know what's going on. At least, that's the reason I'm working on it for a client. Small firm, people need to pass things on to eachother / take over / fill in when someone is on holidays or ill, etc.

I've been looking at an imap solution set up locally, at the intranet server. Only recently, when Masood announce the updated, I realised there's imap here at JagPC too. Would it save me the trouble of setting it up locally? How fine grained can it be used here? Can I have people sharing folders and all that stuff? Anyone ever tried that?
    Last edited by Gwaihir; 06-05-2006 at 02:38 PM.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

A helpdesk system is not a serious replacement for e-mail.
    If it does email the customers, and the customers can email back to it (email piping they call that) its a perfect sollution.

I've successfully "shared" impa foolders by creating symlinks. For instance, I wanted to monitor the spam folder in one account from my primary account. I created a symlink in my primary account that points to the spam folder of the other:

Code:
    ln -s ../otheraccount/spam otherspam
    The I subscribed to "otherspam" in Outlook--works perfectly. I don't know how this will work when mailboxes are converted, but I suspect it will be similar: "otherspam" will point to a directory instead of a single file.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak

Hmm.. so it's pretty akward timing to have this Wednesday planned in for that, given that 'my' server will be converted shortly after.

I'm not sure what to think yet of having all e-mail stored JagPC side, instead of on the intranet server. I guess it doesn't matter much with the size of today's accounts, still some voice in the back of my head tells me it doesn't belong there. Other than that it seems pretty interesting..

You don't run into permissions problems with a symlink like that? It is someone elses file / folder after all. And with JagPCs imap solution people can make their own extra folders and such to order their mail too? Does it support storing sent mail server side as well?

Quote Originally Posted by rainboy
    If it does email the customers, and the customers can email back to it (email piping they call that) its a perfect sollution.
    Right.. with those 'type between these lines' sort of things that hardly anyone really gets.. Sorry, but I'm pretty sceptical about those so far. It seems an extremely client unfriendly and error prone way for a small firm to interact with its customers.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

Well, they really dont have to be 'type between these lines' those are only implementation choices. But everyone has its own way of dealing with this issue. I want all my communication with my customers in one database, and want to communicate to my customer through one channel, and not through different email addresses of my support engineers. Only exception are sales requests where a customer does not have an account yet, but this will be manualy entered in the ticket system, and the customer will be able to access the helpdesk from then on. Why Manual ? want to keep the spam out

Kindest regards,
    Patrick

Loyal Client
    Thank you for your support, my customer ask me for an account to catch all e-mail accounts.
    I don't like this.

On default a VPS with Cpanel/WHM, the user-id created for a user is automaticly a catch all address unless you turned it off (which is a good idea, because there are plenty of reasons not to like it )

Kindest regards,
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaihir
    You don't run into permissions problems with a symlink like that? It is someone elses file / folder after all. And with JagPCs imap solution people can make their own extra folders and such to order their mail too? Does it support storing sent mail server side as well?
    Nope...because all email folder files are owned by the main account owner, not the mailbox owner. Mail accounts in CPanel are kind of psudo-accounts that sit within the larger "website" account. Try doing an "ls -al" in one of your users mail directories (/home/username/Mail/domain.com/mailname) and you'll see what I mean. Even with the current/old system users can still create folders, they just exist as single files rigt now. In the future each "folder" will be a directory and the messages will be individual text files.

IMAP can store sent items, but the user's mail client must be set up to do it.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak