Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Blocking Access in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Is there any way I can block access to my website from this "Snapbot"? I logged in the forums to see an obscene number of ...

Loyal Client

Blocking Access

Is there any way I can block access to my website from this "Snapbot"? I logged in the forums to see an obscene number of guests or what I'm assuming is just some sort of spider. Small example of the access log below.

Guest[4] 38.98.19.90 Snapbot/1.0 10:11am Thread: Onyxia Run
    Guest[5] 38.98.19.117 Snapbot/1.0 10:11am Thread: Onyxia Run
    Guest[6] 38.98.19.96 Snapbot/1.0 10:10am Forum: Instances & Raids General
    Guest[7] 38.98.19.84 Snapbot/1.0 10:10am Viewing Profile for Vosan
    Guest[8] 38.98.19.68 Snapbot/1.0 10:10am Thread: NYT Article on Draenei and Expansion
    Guest[9] 38.98.19.95 Snapbot/1.0 10:10am Thread: NYT Article on Draenei and Expansion
    Guest[10] 38.98.19.93 Snapbot/1.0 10:10am Thread: Character Registration
    Guest[11] 38.98.19.112 Snapbot/1.0 10:10am Thread: Character Registration
    Guest[12] 38.98.19.115 Snapbot/1.0 10:10am Thread: Sophos Positions Currently Open
    Guest[13] 38.98.19.105 Snapbot/1.0

Histerical, absolute
    you could try blocking the ip address with a htaccess I believe that if you replace the last ip numbers with a * it will work for anything with the ip address maching the first three sets of numbers.
    All opinions are the result of being uninformed, unintelligent and uninterested!

Loyal Client
    OK, I did that... but it took about 15 minutes for all of these bots to disappear. I hope thats normal. I tried Google to see if I could find out where this thing came from in the first place, and all I found was a couple people having the same issue as me and not being able to determine any more than I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacrifice
    you could try blocking the ip address with .htaccess
    Try this:
    Code:
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Snapbot         [NC]
    RewriteRule ^.*$ bitemytexanass.php             [L]
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

|| $name ne 'R.Stiltskin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Iflana
    Is there any way I can block access to my website from this "Snapbot"? I logged in the forums to see an obscene number of guests or what I'm assuming is just some sort of spider...
    If just the IP range, then in top-level .htaccess:
    Code:
    Deny from 38.98.19.
    If just the bot because it's mobile, you'll want to do a mod_rewrite as exemplified by Vin.

I usually create a special mod_rewrite and script that returns a "Gone" response header with some falsified NPH headers. This is server response header technobabble that allows you to conceal server and site info. The "Gone" notice tells the robot the resource doesn't exist so it is less likely to return numerous times during its cycle. The trashed header is to deny the misbehaving robot the information it seeks... or at least slows it down.

Search for NPH, non-parsed headers, Perl, Apache. They, and mod_rewrite will give you some ideas.