Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Adding code to site in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I want to add a string of code to my site that I received from a wedding planning site so that visitors can check my ...

Loyal Client

Adding code to site

I want to add a string of code to my site that I received from a wedding planning site so that visitors can check my availability. I am not sure where I need to go in File Mgr to do this. I was told that my html needs to include an iframe code (which means nothing to me).

Any advice of a non-technical nature?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BobPhoto
    I was told that my html needs to include an iframe code (which means nothing to me)...

Well, an iframe is like a page inside a page. Here's an example...

http://joomla.lenon.com/component/op...pper/Itemid,8/

In this case I've wrapped the JagPC Forums into Joomla (a content management system) -- so it's actually a wrapper inside an iframe, if that makes sense.

Anyway, my suggestion is to forget using cPanel to manipulate code. You will find it frustrating!

Personally, I shell into my account using WinSCP, then use a text editor -- Winsyntax usually.

If you don't have a shell account setup yet, have Tech Support do it -- usually takes less than 5 minutes, then install WinSCP on your local PC. WinSCP has a text editor built into it, so that will probably get you by. You can always add an external text editor later, if you want.

Anyway, this will give you the tools you need to start editing code on your web site...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

If your not fimliar with This stuff, I DONT suggest shell.

Start with a Free FTP tool like CoreFTP, wsFTP. Filezilla, etc etc ect

If the one you select has a internal editor you can simply open the file for editing, add your code and close it. The program will take care of the rest. behind the scenes

if you are dead set on using cpanels filemanager (which I also dont recommend most of the time, but I have used it for quick edits) just click on the name of the file you want to edit in the file manage, off to the upper right it will have a list of actions, one of them is edit. Click it and a new window should open with the text of the file in it. add your code and click save

as far as the Iframe. I would have to see what your tring to do, and what kind of code they gave you. before I could advise further
    -------------------------
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

Quote Originally Posted by the_ancient
    Start with a Free FTP tool like CoreFTP, wsFTP. Filezilla, etc etc etc...
    I didn't know WS_FTP was free! I'm gettin' my money back...

*edit* Ah, I see! They have a trial version:

http://www.ipswitch.com/_download/wsftppro.asp

Heh! I forgot all about FTP!
    Last edited by Vin DSL; 06-06-2006 at 07:11 PM.
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

I didn't know Ipswitch was making a WS_FTP SDK :

http://www.ipswitch.com/products/ws_...vkit/index.asp

When did they start that?

*cough* Never mind, I just checked the prices...

|| $name ne 'R.Stiltskin'
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPhoto
    ...I was told that my html needs to include an iframe code (which means nothing to me).

No way around this... it's a technical issue.

See W3C Iframes (inline frames).

The example provided will tell you what to do. The specs, although confusing to the novice, in all of its gory detail precedes the solution. You'll come to reference the W3C standards regularly when your proficiency improves. Get your preferred text editor out, pull out the manual, and start hacking. It's easier than you think.