Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Semi-Dedicated Hosting Plan Question in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I would like to get one thing clarified before I take the plunge... Does unlimited multi-domain hosting mean I can have unlimited domains pointing to ...

Loyal Client

Semi-Dedicated Hosting Plan Question

I would like to get one thing clarified before I take the plunge...

Does unlimited multi-domain hosting mean I can have unlimited domains pointing to sub-folders or does it mean I can have (with the space and bandwidth allotment) unlimited individual websites with individual index files, databases, controls, etc.?

Can someone explain how it works in the control panel, etc.?

Thanks!

With semi-dedicated plans you only get one account on the server. Multihosted domains are secondary domain names that are mapped to a subfolder of the main domain's web root. An outside viewer will have no idea that you are multihosting a domain because the address in the location bar of their browser will always reflect the domain that they've typed in (ie they won't see your main domain name at all).

All of the resources that are afforded to your account are available on multihosted domains. You can set up email addresses and mailing lists, install any software (blogs, cms systems, etc.) on the multihosted domain, and you can access your databases from there. You can also set up ftp accounts that are specific to the home folder of a specific multihosted domain, so you can give other people access to just that site if you wish. The only thing you don't get is a cPanel login specific to the multihosted domain, so if you are hosting other peoples' sites they won't be able to set up email addresses or databases themselves.

If you need individual cPanel access, consider the bulk reseller plans. With a bulk reseller account you can create actual cPanel accounts for each of your sites.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Loyal Client
    Thank you, Jason.

You can set up databases and database users yourself as well, so there is no need for different sites to share a database or use the same credentials. I.e. you can have a dbUser1 with access only to db1 and a dbUser2 with access only to db2.

In addition to the controls (cPanel) only SSH access is one-per-main-account only AFAIK.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

JPC Member

Okay, now I'm officially confused!

I've been looking at VPS, but as I understand it, accounts other than the main one do not have their own Control Panels? So clients can't set things like email, ftp, etc. themselves? One reason I wanted FTP is because of the unlimited domains. Is there a way to set up individual CPs? Thanks in advance for any help.

Longhorn and Semidedicated are traditional hosting accounts that are intended to host a single site. Each can have its additional multihosted domains added, but they are intended to be administered by the owner of the main domain.

Bulk reseller accounts allow you to set up as many full cPanel accounts as you want. These are intended to be resold, but some people who maintain multiple sites use a bulk reseller account to host all of their sites.

VPS accounts are just like dedicated servers--you get root access and have complere control of everything you do with it. cPanel doesn't come standard with a VPS, but you can add it (free or for a small montly fee, depending on the VPS plan you choose), or you can add any other control panel you want. Like the bulk reseller account, you can set up as many accounts as your plan can realistically support, all with cPanel access if you choose to install cPanel.

Hope this helps clairify things...

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com