Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on MySql -> Remote Acces in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I'm trying to use "MySql Control Center" to manage my sql databases. It's a GUI application that I have used in the past that makes ...

MySql -> Remote Acces

I'm trying to use "MySql Control Center" to manage my sql databases. It's a GUI application that I have used in the past that makes life easier.

However, even though I have added my static IP to my list of Allowed Hosts on the server, I still get access denied when I try and connect to the database.

Is there something special I have to do? Do I have to somehow specifically tell which database the remote host is able to connect to?

What are you using for a username and password? You should be using one that you created in cPanel, in the form siteusername_mysqlusername, not your standard cP login. Hope this helps...

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Yeah, I am using that... sitename_username as created when I created a user in the mySQL Server control panel.

I then added my IP address as an allowable host.

Problem is, when I attempt to connect, it tells me that [email protected] - Access Denied.

It's the "-dsl.zen.co.uk" added onto my "[email protected]" address that I am worried about.

Are you sure that you added the correct IP? If you have a broadband router you'll need to add the IP of the router's outside connection, not the IP of your computer. If you've entered an address such as 10.*.*.*, 172.*.*.*, or 192.168.*.*, then you are probably using the wrong IP.

One thing that you might try is %-dsl.zen.co.uk. The % will server as a wildcard, allowing any address that resolves to your ISP to connect to your server. You could also just specify "%" to allow any host to connect, but for security the more restrictive you are the better.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com