Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on website down again - every day this week in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
My website toeandheel.com which is hosted on griffin.nocdirect.com (I think) is down again. Has been down 3 times this week so far. HTML pages work ...

Loyal Client

website down again - every day this week

My website toeandheel.com which is hosted on griffin.nocdirect.com (I think) is down again. Has been down 3 times this week so far.
    HTML pages work OK but PHP/MYSQL time out.
    I can't log a ticket for some reason as I get login is denied from your IP.

How can I get this resolved?

Thanks,

Deryck

Use phone, e-mail, live chat, or a PM to for example Jag or Les to get yourself into that ticket system.

http://www.jaguarpc.com/contact.php
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

Loyal Client
    You're not alone, Deryck. We're also on Griffin and having the same problem.

Only I DID open a ticket, and they claim there is no issue. They also claim no other customers have complained.

So I pointed them to this thread.

Loyal Client
    Not that it did any good, apparently.

Did you ever get access to the ticket system, Deryck? Because I think they think I'm smoking crack because no one else is complaining. I don't see how anyone isn't, because while it's affecting mostly stuff that uses MySQL, it has also slowed the other services WAY DOWN when MySQL starts to struggle, at least from what I've noticed. Our email and regular HTML even failed a couple of times, too.

I even asked to be moved to another server that isn't having problems, but I guess because they aren't "seeing" any issues with Griffin, it doesn't warrant being moved?? How about, I'm plain sick of the down time, I don't really care that YOU don't see it, but *I* do, just move my account for crying out loud!

Hi niktyler,

I believe there was an issue on griffin which was fixed yesterday early morning. The problem was a spammer and another user with heavy http usage and both were taken care of and Griffin has been very stable since. You must have opened a ticket before we identified the problems on the server, it takes atleast a few hours to figure out these things which happen only intermittant on a server.
    In case you still stseeing any issues on your account, please do open a support ticket so we could check what is causing it and resolve it.

[edit] Doh! Veena beat me to it! [/edit]
    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer

Need a Manager?
    (pm) | (email) Greg, Chief Executive Officer

Loyal Client

Angry

I was happy with service here until June. I have been seeing increased problems since then! I am on Platinum and have filed 13 tickets since June due to slow and sluggish response times. Load has been 3-5+ and higher on weekends. They have way oversold this server and the excuses are getting lame... They are now asking me to move to another server.... How long until they oversell it????

The worst problem is now my payment processor is rejecting transactions due to slow response times... I have told support that if server load is not brought down to a managable level in one week I will move... To another Host!

Loyal Client
    Here's what I see tonight:

[email protected] [~]# 20:26:17 up 31 days, 4:18, 3 users, load average: 5.82, 3.72, 3.64

Is this acceptable???

Loyal Client

Response From JaguarPC

I am quickly losing faith in Jaguar. One of their techs tried to snowball me in an email:

We have updated your online support ticket for gamegiants.net regarding Slow Response Time.

Please login to the ticket system to reply.
    Our Reply:
    Hi,

The server on which your account is setup is dual processor system and load upto 3-5 is normal load for the server. The server load is now back to normal please check.

Hey get a clue 3-5 is not Normal by definition on a 2 CPU machine a load of 2 is 100% utilization with no waiting processes a load of 5 on a 2 CPU machine is 250% utilization of both CPUS. You guys oversold the machine! Admit the problem and resolve it! From reading the other post other machines have the same problem as well!

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Server load on a Unix machine is not a percentage of CPU availability, it is the queue depth of runnable processes. rule of thumb for many years has been queue depth of 3 per CPU, so up to a load of 6 would be considered a very healthy machine.

In addition, your server might have 2 dual core CPUs (I don't know), which would likely make that number even higher.

Further, on linux the runnable queue includes processes that are waiting for disk I/O as well as CPU, so frequently a server is sitting with tons of extra CPU just waiting for disk I/O. Sometimes load will go very high when a CPU intensive job is functioning, so that the average queue depth might be 10 or 12, but the response time is still quite good because it takes so little time for these mega machines with 4 CPU cores to pick up 12 processes.

Generally speaking, in my experience here at JPC the limiting factor on these machines has been disk I/O, and not CPU.

That said, however, you CANNOT directly correlate how well a machine is doing from the server load number itself. For instance, a machine with a load of under 1 may have something affecting it's network connection.

Last night, I was experiencing horrendous response time, but my visitor stats were as expected, and support kept telling me they saw no problem. Even when I supplied traceroutes showing the problem looked like it was at the server.. yet my visitor stats were fine, and in checknig with other members of my community around the continent, nobody else was experiencing a problem... except for me! It lasted about 8 or 10 hours, IIRC. Go figure.

While you may have a response time problem due to other issues, support is absolutely correct in the assertion that a load of 3-5 in and of itself is normal for a server of this class.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by niktyler
    Only I DID open a ticket, and they claim there is no issue. They also claim no other customers have complained...
    Tell those Hindus, in tech support, it's like a flat tire -- ppl only complain about tires when they go flat -- you got a flat tire, and you want it fixed!
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Quote Originally Posted by byoungdt
    I am on Platinum and have filed 13 tickets since June due to slow and sluggish response times. Load has been 3-5+ and higher on weekends. They have way oversold this server and the excuses are getting lame...
    LoL! You think?

They had, like, 500 web sites on Platinum (at last count) before they blocked ppl like me from snooping. The official line was... that's 500 domain names, not 500 accounts, or whatever -- might be 1 person with 498 domain names, and you with 2 domains, hence, only 2 accounts, not 500.

I don't know about you, but that didn't make me *feel* better... but, 'they' tried, and that's all that counts, right?

Then, again, if you don't like it, get a VPS account or dedicated. That didn't make for *feel* better either, however... it's the REAL truth of the matter!
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by byoungdt
    I have told support that if server load is not brought down to a managable level in one week I will move... To another Host!
    OMG!!! Who gives a flying phuck! Leave! Like, I'm sure they're gonna miss your $6, and 25 tickets, every month...

Hahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    Generally speaking, in my experience here at JPC the limiting factor on these machines has been disk I/O, and not CPU....
    Oh, gawd... now for the broken record!

I'm outta this thread!

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin DSL
    Oh, gawd... now for the broken record!

I'm outta this thread!
    Same question, similar (I hope) answers.

You could feel free to add constructive information...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast