Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on What is best in my Cpanel/WHM Update Preferences in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
What is best in my Cpanel/WHM Update Preferences? Automatic (STABLE tree) Automatic (RELEASE tree) Automatic (CURRENT tree) Manual Updates Only (STABLE tree) Manual Updates Only ...

Loyal Client

What is best in my Cpanel/WHM Update Preferences

What is best in my Cpanel/WHM Update Preferences?

Automatic (STABLE tree)
    Automatic (RELEASE tree)
    Automatic (CURRENT tree)
    Manual Updates Only (STABLE tree)
    Manual Updates Only (RELEASE tree)
    Manual Updates Only (CURRENT tree)
    Manual Updates Only (bleeding EDGE tree)
    Never Update

And what about cpanel package updates and security package updates? automatic?

thanks for the help/advices,

Bart

I guess it all depends on how hands-on you want to be, and how much you trust the cPanel updates. In a similar situation, I have Windows notify me of new updates, but I don't let it download or install them automatically. Usually I just click through and install everyting, but every once in a while you hear horor stories about an update hosing the systems its installed on, so I like having the control to withhold an update if I suspect there could be a problem.

On the other hand, we have a handful of computers at work that our student employees use. They aren't really anyone's direct responsibility (bad idea, but not my call), but when they become zombies I'm usually the first person to look at them. Since I don't have time to continually check up on thsoe machines, I set them to automatically download and install updates. Since these machines mission critical it will be nothing more than a minor inconvenience if an update kills the system, which I think is far better than leaving a system open to exploit until someone realizes that the updates haven't be installed yet.

EDIT: Not being a WHM user, I don't know their definitions of stable vs. current vs. release. I would suspect that one is the software publisher's most recent version vs. a cP-team tested version, etc. If you are running a production server, though, I'd avoid bleeding-edge releases unless there is a specific need for the latest release of something (like a zero-day exploit).

--Jason
    Last edited by jason; 07-26-2006 at 08:44 AM.
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

all about nothing! Frank Broughton's Avatar
    Just to complete this thread:

EDGE - A development release that contains the most features but has undergone the least amount of testing. You generally shouldn't run this build unless you need a bug fix or feature in it. Once an equivalent CURRENT or RELEASE build has been released, you should switch away from this.

CURRENT - Similar to the EDGE builds but CURRENT has undergone some testing in a production environment.

RELEASE - A formal release that has undergone extensive testing. Release builds are the preferred builds to run. They are generally current enough to have the latest bugfixes and new features, but without the worry of new bugs being introduced.

STABLE - A formal release that has shown no problems during use by customers. Stable builds are for the conservative people who do not wish to run the latest release.

In reality all this is just hocus pocus. We have to spend quite a lot of time to see which one is actually really stable. Sometimes it is stable, sometimes it is release and sometimes it is current. All depends on what is broken and what security vulnerability is out there which has not been fixed in "stable". And sometimes you have to apply patches that are not within cpanel's realm.

But staying on stable is conservative approach and keeps the maintenance time at minimum and away from new bugs.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Masood N. [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Red"]Chief Technical Officer[/COLOR][SIZE="3"] JaguarPC.com[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by masood View Post
    In reality all this is just hocus pocus...
    Heh!

Go Masood!!!
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by masood View Post
    We have to spend quite a lot of time to see which one is actually really stable. Sometimes it is stable, sometimes it is release and sometimes it is current. All depends on what is broken and what security vulnerability is out there which has not been fixed in "stable". And sometimes you have to apply patches that are not within cpanel's realm.
    Which is EXACTLY why I want an SDX reseller account and I don't want a VPS or a Dedicated box here if you aren't going to manage it for me to the level that you manage the Longhorn boxes.

I couldn't have explained it any better, Masood.
    Good luck

Saint
    The Automatic (STABLE) Tree is usually the one I would say to go for, although there does happen to be random bugs in almost any version, this seems to be the most stable position to choose.

May I?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Which is EXACTLY why I want an SDX reseller account...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Ron
    Loyal Client
    LOL I assume you'll get the same (non)response I got.

I guess (some)Sys Admins feel like everyone should share their pain and become rooted to their servers.
    Good luck

|| $name ne 'R.Stiltskin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    Which is EXACTLY why I want an SDX reseller account and I don't want a VPS or a Dedicated box here if you aren't going to manage it for me to the level that you manage the Longhorn boxes.
    Yep. I started considering a move to VPS due to the current promotional and have just installed Fedora Core on my "new" local network server to mimic a Jag setup... at least approximate it. After playing around with it for a while, I'm once again reminded of the hassles of maintaining a box when my priorities lie elsewhere. I can't really shell out the dough for a completely managed server like the dedicated boxes right now since that would be major overkill.

A mini server would be nice but the loss of GigaDeal/Longhorn automated support for OS patch maintenance seems like a deal breaker for me at the moment. Most of the routine stuff, I can handle since it's not something I'd be reconfiguring often once it's established. It's just that darn baby-sitting I'd like to avoid just as you.

Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by Spathiphyllum View Post
    Yep. I started considering a move to VPS due to the current promotional and have just installed Fedora Core on my "new" local network server to mimic a Jag setup... at least approximate it. After playing around with it for a while, I'm once again reminded of the hassles of maintaining a box when my priorities lie elsewhere. I can't really shell out the dough for a completely managed server like the dedicated boxes right now since that would be major overkill.

A mini server would be nice but the loss of GigaDeal/Longhorn automated support for OS patch maintenance seems like a deal breaker for me at the moment. Most of the routine stuff, I can handle since it's not something I'd be reconfiguring often once it's established. It's just that darn baby-sitting I'd like to avoid just as you.
    Well if you didn't know, our VPS servers are also managed This would be a great place to start if you are wanting something similar to a server. Our technical support team can help you with pretty much anything you need on the VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint View Post
    Well if you didn't know, our VPS servers are also managed This would be a great place to start if you are wanting something similar to a server. Our technical support team can help you with pretty much anything you need on the VPS.
    And they do a very good job of helping if I may say so!

|| $name ne 'R.Stiltskin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint
    Well if you didn't know, our VPS servers are also managed... Our technical support team can help you with pretty much anything you need on the VPS.
    Thanks for the input. I figure as much but for some reason, I sense the support must be handled differently than for a shared/SDX plan. Would the shared plans be considered the equivalent of "Level 1"? Or "Level 2"? Or something else? In view of my thick-headedness, I'll ask a second opinion because

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton
    ...they do a very good job of helping if I may say so!
    So, were you on a shared plan of any sort at any time? How does your current support match up with your VPS plan? Better? Worse? Same? Are they patching your OS/binaries/RPMs or are you doing it? Does Jag do it proactively or must you do it or request it? How's the monitoring? Anything different than a shared?

I've been quite pleased with support excepting for a mere few glitches that are inevitable. I know Jaguar is quite accommodating. I'd just like to know how support will differ, if at all, should I take on an account type that permits more administration... for better or for worse.

I have only used a VPS here at JaguarPC - (so far). Everything I have requested has been done. To keep your VPS up to date is pretty easy. I can have everything set to automatically update - but that can also cause problems. I like to manually update.

What version of Cpanel are you using right now?

The monitoring for services is easy - sends a request when a service is down. Monitoring for updates is not automatic but this place helps: http://www.webhostgear.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    I have only used a VPS here at JaguarPC...
    I like this guy...

At least he's honest!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast