Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

This is a discussion on New PC, Recommend Changes... in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I am putting together a New PC, I want to stay under the $2,000 mark. My Goals: Robust Multi-tasking Capablies, I use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Notepad++, ...

  1. #1
    Loyal Client the_ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,474

    New PC, Recommend Changes...

    I am putting together a New PC, I want to stay under the $2,000 mark.

    My Goals: Robust Multi-tasking Capablies, I use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Notepad++, Eclipse, and several other Development app concurently, as well as Media Players (winamp, winmediaplayer, sirius player widget, etc)

    I dont do a Whole lot of gameing but I play a few.

    I also want to replace all 3 of my CRT montiors with LCD's (included in my price goal)

    here is my list so far
    http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...Number=3733831

    any thing I should change, modify, or suggestions

    Thanks
    -------------------------
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

  2. #2
    Yeah, I know a LOT! Vin DSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Arizona Uplands
    Posts
    10,661
    You came to the right place... I'm a fixture on AnandTech, too!

    I know all the tricks, and then some!

    The thing is, are you willing to listen?

    I think not... and if I'm gonna waste my breath, it'll be in that community, not here.

    BTW, here's my current config: http://anandtech.com/mysystemrig.aspx?rigid=32886, if you care to look.

    Hardly state-of-the-art, but it'll run circles around most ppl's computers that I know -- kinda like a '57 Chevy of the New Millenium...

    Anyway, I know what works, and what doesn't. I don't mind sharing that knowledge here, but I'm not gonna argue with you!
    Last edited by Vin DSL; 11-30-2006 at 03:27 AM.

  3. #3
    Loyal Client the_ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin DSL View Post
    You came to the right place... I'm a fixture on AnandTech, too!

    I know all the tricks, and then some!

    The thing is, are you willing to listen?

    I think not... and if I'm gonna waste my breath, it'll be in that community, not here.

    I will always listen, I may not follow
    -------------------------
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

  4. #4
    Yeah, I know a LOT! Vin DSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Arizona Uplands
    Posts
    10,661
    Okay, let's start with the case...

    I assume you're looking for something that moves some air, right?

    Are you sold on the idea of having a 200/250mm blow hole fan in the side cover?

  5. #5
    QA Manager JPC-Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    5,443
    I would drop the 5200x2 down to a 4800x2 . I assumke your going for the 1mb cache. you wont see a noticeable enough difference in these two.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103754


    up the ram from 2gb to 4gb


    drop the 17 lcd's, go with two of these 19's
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009091

    and this one for your center ,I assume thats what your plan was.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009094

    or worst case just get 3x of them matching 19's .

    With graphics (or gaming) your gonna thank me for the extra realestate, you wont beleive the difference and how it really increases productivity.

    for best images you really want monitors and video cards that can use dvi instead of that old school vga crap.


    I agree with Vin ont eh case (go figure, we agree on something). Ditch the no fan having case, get something with at least one good rear 120mm fan. I recommend one of these to get one with power in that price range.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811208004
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811156175
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811166008

    theres other options if yiou dont mind your case looking like some cheap dumb toys'r'us pc .


    as for harddrive if you insist on a 250gb, then go with this raid edition drive for $5 more. Trust me, its much better.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136055

    I would opt for the 320 personally though.


    for cards , get matching http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127210


    heres a link to the best next closest things , since the 4800x2 and the acer 22" isnt in stock right now.

    $1850

    public list for this setup
    http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...Number=4729907
    Greg Landis | Founder
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at [email protected].

    Need a Manager?

    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Larry, Customer Service Manager

  6. #6
    the Windlord Gwaihir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    2,570
    Hmm.. how "wide" can you get? I'd prefer to take at least one (and possibly both) of the side screens in the opposite direction: pivot them sideways. Traditional 1024x1280 works very well with that. Jag's probably right that you might as well take 19" ones though. 17 vs 19" price difference is very small and most people find 19" more comfortable.

    I just don't get that wide-screen craze for computer monitors anyway, not for workstations that is, and certainly not for multi-screen setups. IMHO it's only an advantage when gaming and watching movies, not for any serious work. Sure, the manufacturers are happy to oblidge, they don't need to provide as much monitor per diagonal this way. (A 19" wide screen monitor has a smaller surface area and less pixels than a 19" traditional 5:4, etc.)
    Regards,

    Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

  7. #7
    Loyal Client the_ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin DSL View Post
    Okay, let's start with the case...

    I assume you're looking for something that moves some air, right?

    Are you sold on the idea of having a 200/250mm blow hole fan in the side cover?
    I am not sold on anything, The case was actually an after thought...
    -------------------------
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

  8. #8
    QA Manager JPC-Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    5,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
    Hmm.. how "wide" can you get? I'd prefer to take at least one (and possibly both) of the side screens in the opposite direction: pivot them sideways. Traditional 1024x1280 works very well with that. Jag's probably right that you might as well take 19" ones though. 17 vs 19" price difference is very small and most people find 19" more comfortable.

    I just don't get that wide-screen craze for computer monitors anyway, not for workstations that is, and certainly not for multi-screen setups. IMHO it's only an advantage when gaming and watching movies, not for any serious work. Sure, the manufacturers are happy to oblidge, they don't need to provide as much monitor per diagonal this way. (A 19" wide screen monitor has a smaller surface area and less pixels than a 19" traditional 5:4, etc.)
    Actually monitors and tvs have always been widescreen, always. There is no sqaure tv or monitor. Hence the resolutions, 800x600, 1024x768, etc etc on "standard" monitors.

    so if your already working on a 1024x768 or 1280x1024 , why not just get something with more horizontal space and the same vertical space? It helps me with putting more windows in my same space, theres only so wide i need a web browser to be, the rest is free space for other things, chats, monitoring things, etc.
    Greg Landis | Founder
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at [email protected].

    Need a Manager?

    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Larry, Customer Service Manager

  9. #9
    Loyal Client the_ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag View Post
    Thanks!!!

    I may go with a 320, I had planned on added another drive later anyway. I have 2 Descktops networked right now, when i build the new one, I will be Stripping out my Oldest PC removing all but the basics and giving it to my Father, the 3 Harddrives that are in it will move over to my Current main Desktop, which will become my New HTPC and file server...

    so storage is not the issuse, I use the network for that

    Aslo, will the 450w powersupply support everthing and still have enough juice to add on things? I always heard these Dual Core X2 where power hungery
    -------------------------
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

  10. #10
    Loyal Client the_ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,474
    ohh, and I probally will not buy everything at once. I will probally by the Monitors this Month, because I am sick and tired of my CRT's

    and then build the computer over the next couple of months,
    -------------------------
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

  11. #11
    QA Manager JPC-Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    5,443
    Quote Originally Posted by the_ancient View Post
    Thanks!!!

    I may go with a 320, I had planned on added another drive later anyway. I have 2 Descktops networked right now, when i build the new one, I will be Stripping out my Oldest PC removing all but the basics and giving it to my Father, the 3 Harddrives that are in it will move over to my Current main Desktop, which will become my New HTPC and file server...

    so storage is not the issuse, I use the network for that

    Aslo, will the 450w powersupply support everthing and still have enough juice to add on things? I always heard these Dual Core X2 where power hungery
    It should not be a problem. The only real draw on power is the cpu, and video cards. You dont have a ton of fans, just one drive. everything else like monitors have their own power cords. If its a concern though just do it right the first time around. Get a case without a power supply then reserch what power supply will work best with ample power since I dont know what your adding later.

    That case you picked with a 600w had no fans, fans are cheap but trust me when I say that power supply wont make it 6 months. A reliable 600w powersupply should cost you more than that case alone.
    Greg Landis | Founder
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at [email protected].

    Need a Manager?

    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Larry, Customer Service Manager

  12. #12
    all about nothing! Frank Broughton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,237
    Jag is right on the power supply. Get a very good power supply. In my systems over the years here at home the power supply has been the cause of most of my system failures.

    I would love to build the system you are looking at... but I have 5 systems I need to keep up to date here as I home school my kids and they all have their own system - so mine lags behind to what I would want ;(

    I have had my best luck with ASUS mother boards and worst with Gigabyte - for what its worth.

    I second matching the video cards as Jag mentioned - less possible driver problems. Personal preference being Nvidia over ATI.

    Western Digital hard drives have always lasted the longest here (have purchased and installed over 100 hard drives here for the home network over the years (anyone remember rll drives?).

    Question: what capture card (unit) are you using on your HTPC?

  13. #13
    QA Manager JPC-Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    5,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    I have had my best luck with ASUS mother boards and worst with Gigabyte - for what its worth.
    I concur, go with Asus or Abit
    Greg Landis | Founder
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at [email protected].

    Need a Manager?

    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Larry, Customer Service Manager

  14. #14
    all about nothing! Frank Broughton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,237
    Was just playing around with a system:

    https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...stem+3+monitor

  15. #15
    QA Manager JPC-Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    5,443
    I wouldnt spend $160 on a power supply. Id make sure I had twice that ram and either more drives or a larger one.
    Greg Landis | Founder
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at [email protected].

    Need a Manager?

    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Larry, Customer Service Manager

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •