Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on Some questions regarding VPS in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
This whole concept is really blowing my mind, virtually having your own dedicated server for as little as $19.95 /month. Since I am a newbie ...

Some questions regarding VPS

This whole concept is really blowing my mind, virtually having your own dedicated server for as little as $19.95 /month. Since I am a newbie to this I have a few questions.

How exactly does root access work on a server with others on it? Do I have access to actually set up my own software. For example, I was thinking of running a small counter strike server on this, would this be possible?

How is CPU usage then divided? What percentage does each person get?

How many other people will share a box with me?

What happens if I need to do a reboot? Will this just affect my share of the server or reboot the entire thing? Or is this even possible?

I see JPC supports Cpanel, does this mean I am allowed to run as many domains as I like?

Does tech support provide help getting things installed? How many hours of tech support administrative time is allowed for each plan?

Sorry for the long list but this looks awesome, something I would have never imagined 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by thehotweb View Post
    Do I have access to actually set up my own software.
    Yes, you have root level access.

How is CPU usage then divided? What percentage does each person get?
    We run an equal CPU share VPS environment, which most other providers do as well, which allows each vps to burst to 100% cpu, since limiting them to say even 50% has an adverse effect on performance.

How many other people will share a box with me?
    Typically ~25 vps on each node.

What happens if I need to do a reboot? Will this just affect my share of the server or reboot the entire thing? Or is this even possible?
    You can reboot/start/stop your vps through a power panel. This does not affect anyone else.

I see JPC supports Cpanel, does this mean I am allowed to run as many domains as I like?
    CPanel requires at least 256MB of RAM, so we recommend Freedom plan for it. Yes, you can host as many domains as you want as long as you do not abuse the cpu and have a fair share.

Does tech support provide help getting things installed? How many hours of tech support administrative time is allowed for each plan?
    You get level 2 managed support with any vps plan: http://www.jaguarpc.com/services/managed/
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Masood N. [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Red"]Chief Technical Officer[/COLOR][SIZE="3"] JaguarPC.com[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by masood View Post
    We run an equal CPU share VPS environment, which most other providers do as well, which allows each vps to burst to 100% cpu, since limiting them to say even 50% has an adverse effect on performance.
    Thanks Masood, that helps a lot.

So getting back to my original concept of running a game server off this. So you get upto 100% CPU if no other VPS clients are using any resources at that time. On my dedicated Windows 2003 CS server I am currently using I take up about 20-30% of CPU at all times (Dual Xeon 2.4GHz). Not sure how much I would need under Linux but I assume it would be similar. Would this be considered abuse of the CPU? If yes, how much CPU time could I actually consume at all times without violating the TOS?
    Last edited by Pawel Kowalski; 12-05-2006 at 05:47 PM.

If you have a need already for a third of a dual proc machine you might be just delaying a full server upgrade by a few months by going vps. I cant say with any credibility your needs on linux would be lower.

However, I would think you will not need as much on linux as you do on windows and the fact that our nodes are dual-core dual opt systems means they are probably 2-3x faster than that dual xeon system. You might be ok for a while. Give it a shot and let us know how it works out, this could prove to be a good benchmark test and help give others some idea of their needs.
    Greg Landis | Founder
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at [email protected].

Need a Manager?

(pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Larry, Customer Service Manager

I'll do some research on running steam on linux as I've never done this before and might give it a shot. My current fully dedicated Windows 2003 server at another provider is lagging like crazy so I might have to switch soon anyway.

However, for now I think I will seriously take a look at moving my reseller account I have with you on titanium to this. Do you guys provide any help in doing this kind of migration? I don't suppose the task of moving around 10 resold sites with all DNS information and mySQL databases could be covered under the 1 hour of administrative time we get each month?
    Last edited by Pawel Kowalski; 12-05-2006 at 11:10 PM.

And one last thing (maybe ) how much is a subscription to the back up server and how is this accomplished, through NAS?

Edit:

never mind, I need to learn to read before I post. I answered my own question here:

http://www.jaguarpc.com/services/backups/

Quote Originally Posted by thehotweb
    How exactly does root access work on a server with others on it?
    Server virtualization is a pretty cool thing. I've been playing with my own virtual servers in my office for a couple of months. I use a piece of software called VMWare Server which actually does software emulation of a AMD-based processor and all the other hardware. Basically, you start VMWare and then create virtual machines, which are small settings files that define how VMWare will emulate things like disk drives, memopry, network cards, sound cards, etc. Then you create a disk image file that will be your virtual hard drive (or you can map to a physical partition if you prefer), map an ISO image as a CD-ROM drive and hit start. A window opens that looks just like a PC starting up--POST info, memory tests, etc. Then it finds your "CD" and starts the install. When you're done you have a second OS running inside of Windows and virtual networking lets the two of them talk to each other (or other systems) as if they are separate boxes. It is a perfect way to set up a development server when you don't have extra hardware laying around.

JPC uses software called Virtuoso to do it. I've never used Virtuoso, so I don't know exactly how it works, but I assume it is similar to the VMWare model. Another similar package out there is Microsoft VirtualPC, but it is very limited compared to the others.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    Server virtualization is a pretty cool thing. I've been playing with my own virtual servers in my office for a couple of months. I use a piece of software called VMWare Server which actually does software emulation of a AMD-based processor and all the other hardware. Basically, you start VMWare and then create virtual machines, which are small settings files that define how VMWare will emulate things like disk drives, memopry, network cards, sound cards, etc. Then you create a disk image file that will be your virtual hard drive (or you can map to a physical partition if you prefer), map an ISO image as a CD-ROM drive and hit start. A window opens that looks just like a PC starting up--POST info, memory tests, etc. Then it finds your "CD" and starts the install. When you're done you have a second OS running inside of Windows and virtual networking lets the two of them talk to each other (or other systems) as if they are separate boxes. It is a perfect way to set up a development server when you don't have extra hardware laying around.

JPC uses software called Virtuoso to do it. I've never used Virtuoso, so I don't know exactly how it works, but I assume it is similar to the VMWare model. Another similar package out there is Microsoft VirtualPC, but it is very limited compared to the others.

--Jason
    Yeah, this is a concept I haven't heard of until yesterday when I saw a thread by Jag about the promotion. Doing some research on it this looks awesome and it looks like you can actually do it on a windows enviroment too. I might go a head and try this later on my test setup at home.

Doing some research on it this looks awesome and it looks like you can actually do it on a windows enviroment too.
    My current setup is VMWare Server (free version) running on a Dell P4 with Windows XP Pro. The virtual server is running CentOS. Until last Friday I was using NAT for networking so only the host OS could connect directly to the VS, but on Friday I got a unique IP for the VS and now I can access it from anywhere, as if it is a stand-alone box.

I'm mainly using it as a Subversion server and a test web server for now, but I'm finding myself doing more and more everyday stuff in Linux since it is so accessible now.

I'm thinking about trying it the other way around--install Cent OS as the host OS and then virtualize Windows. If I can get my hands on a spare box I'll give it a try...

Let me know if you have any questions or problems if you set up your own system.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak

Do you guys provide any help in doing this kind of migration?
    Migration of accounts does not count towards the sysadmin time.

If you get the appropriate vps plan (cpanel on 256MB RAM plan i.e. Freedom or Discovery with addon RAM + cPanel), the account can be transferred very smoothly using cpanel's own account transfer feature.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Masood N. [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Red"]Chief Technical Officer[/COLOR][SIZE="3"] JaguarPC.com[/SIZE]

Migration of accounts does not count towards the sysadmin time.
    I'm not too sure I understood this part. Does that mean you do it automatically or you don't do it at all?

Jason, thanks for the offer. I am setting up a home network to study with as I want to take the MCSE exams in the following year after I complete some more school. I'll be sure to keep you on my list of contacts for help and I really appreciate it.

Hate to hijack my own thread here but it sounds like you have a pretty decent job at a fairly large company (or maybe this is your own company). May I ask what kind of certification/education you have that helped you get this position? Like I said, I am trying to get microsoft certification and this kind of information would really help me.

My day job is at a pretty well known technical university. Basically speaking, I work with faculty to create teaching solutions--CD-ROMs, DVDs, websites, etc. I also present training sessions to faculty on a number of topics, such as how to use our learning management system (web-based courseware).

I also run Interbrite as a part-time business, working with a number of small- to medium-sized business as well as subcontracting web services to a handful of freelance designers.

I have a BS in Information Technology and I am one thesis project away from having a MS in the same field. While working on my Bachelors degree, I concentrated in system administration and networking. I also took a few web development and programming classes, but most of my web dev knowledge is self taught. For my Masters I concentrated in areas of instructional technology, human-computer interaction (HCI), and web application development.

I don't have any special certifications like MSCE, A+, etc. I've considered getting them, but up to now I haven't needed them nor have I really had the time to study for and take the exams.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak

I'm not too sure I understood this part. Does that mean you do it automatically or you don't do it at all?
    This means we will do it by default on your request and it is part of normal support work. Not included in the managed support time you were asking about. If you were to get a dedicated server, we will do that for you as well even if you did not buy a managed support.

This means we will do it by default on your request and it is part of normal support work. Not included in the managed support time you were asking about. If you were to get a dedicated server, we will do that for you as well even if you did not buy a managed support.
    Awesome, thanks Masood. I think I will go a head and do this. I'll open a ticket when I'm ready.

I keep thinking of questions, sorry.

Some of my resold sites have their own IP addresses. Can these be moved over or will they require an IP change? If they do have to have the IP address changed, which I'm guessing they do, this can be done without any changes on my end to the dns settings, right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast