Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Automated Site Backups ? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hi I currently have a bulk reseller account that recently lost most of it's data (I was on martin) luckily I had a old backup ...

Automated Site Backups ?

Hi I currently have a bulk reseller account that recently lost most of it's data (I was on martin) luckily I had a old backup around and use mysqldumper to create automated mysql backups ,but I am curious to know if anyone knows of a way to automaticly create website backups and ftp them to an offsite server for safe storage incase the unspeakable happens again.

btw I already have a couple of people willing to donate offsite storage for backups all I need is a way to automate the backup and ftp it to their server.

Well... automated, eh?

I dunno, I suppose you could do that, but would you trust it? Personally, I would think your latest experience would have soured you on automated backups. They rarely work, but...

Personally, I manually backup my site[s] using BZ2. I backup everything except the cache files, and it doesn't take that much room.

I've still got every backup of my site[s] since 1996 sitting on my local drive, and I still have -- let's see -- Um... what do you care? A lot of room left. I wouldn't be letting anybody store jack for me... Ppl are thieves -- original sin, and all that sort of stuff, you know?

Anyway, I simply shell into my account, tar it, and dump it to my local drive. No big deal!

What kind of automated process were you thinking about?
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Automating backups shouldn't be too difficult. There are several options: zip/gzip/bzip your entire site (or the important parts of it) and transfer the archive to a remote site, rsync the current site to a remote copy (so that only changes get sent), transfer the entire site by *insert favorite protocol here (ftp, scp, whatever)*, etc., etc.

To do it you would need a short shell script to replicate the commands you'd type at the command line (create the archive and transfer) which you could then set up to occur at a stnadard interval via a cron job in cPanel. That's it.

A word of caution though: as Vin said, don't just assume that your backups are OK. You'll need to implement some form of redundancy check (even if it is manually going to the backup server and checking that the files are the same as on the site by hand) and use it regularly. As you've just learned, backups can and WILL sometimes fail, and a bad backup is usually no better than no backup.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Sadly I forget to make backups from time to time and know I need to make a weekly backup so I have posted a reminder to not only myself ,but to the other admins of the open source project .

As for the remote storage it's secure and trusted all I need is a way to automate the backup and ftp it to the server heck I may even setup a ftp server on my home network for this.

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    Automating backups shouldn't be too difficult. There are several options: zip/gzip/bzip your entire site (or the important parts of it) and transfer the archive to a remote site, rsync the current site to a remote copy (so that only changes get sent), transfer the entire site by *insert favorite protocol here (ftp, scp, whatever)*, etc., etc.
    Hey, you know what? That's a GREAT idea!!!

I've been toying with that idea, but didn't feel like tieing up my system for ten hours, or whatever, doing the initial sync.

Heh! I think I'm gonna try that tonight...

Thanks!
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by loki1023 View Post
    ...heck I may even setup a ftp server on my home network for this.
    Yep, another good idea!

You can build a terabyte server for practically nothing these days!

Plus, you could use it to backup all the machines on your local area network too -- your thumb drive[s], digital pics, MP3s, yada, yada, yada.

Ok how would I go about doing this with my bulk reseller account then as I am really not sure of everything you said above.

Our open source project appreciates any advice you can give thanks =)

Well I found a way of making a full backupdoing and set it up via cron tab to ftp to a server I set up on my home network ,but how the heck to I restore from a full backup if I ever need to ?

Since the Full backup can be unpacked and a home directory extracted if needed it's still a decent system for a once a week automated backup that any admin can access from my network and restore if needed.

Now I should probably have mysqldumper ftp it's twice daily backups to the same server and give my gmail account a break
    Last edited by loki1023; 01-13-2007 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loki1023 View Post
    but how the heck to I restore from a full backup if I ever need to ?
    http://www.jaguarpc.com/support/kbas...n=list&faq=686

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Masood N. [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Red"]Chief Technical Officer[/COLOR][SIZE="3"] JaguarPC.com[/SIZE]

Thanks mate so I take it this is something I cannot do from within WHM ah well atleast it's there incase of another martin disaster and if need be I can unpack the full backup and use it for a home directory backup.
    Last edited by loki1023; 01-13-2007 at 07:57 PM.
    Host and Admin for Jupiter Content Manager

Eh almost forgot if anyone else needs this script you can check it out on it's authors website @ http://www.justin-cook.com/wp/2006/1...with-cron-php/ .

This script works great I use it in combination with mysqldumper and have it setup to ftp backups to a ftp server I have setup on my pc using filezilla and a dyndns.org domain.

*Note I have noticed that the cpanel rvblue theme and many of the RV themes do not always load so it can cause some failed backups instead use the X theme to resolve these issues (yea I know X is confusing ,but automated backups are worth it )
    Last edited by loki1023; 01-28-2007 at 11:49 PM.
    Host and Admin for Jupiter Content Manager