Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on 1TB 3.5 Disc comming in June in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Well Jag, Now you can really have some Massive Servers. With an Array of 1TB Disks http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top ...

1TB 3.5 Disc comming in June

Well Jag, Now you can really have some Massive Servers. With an Array of 1TB Disks

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top
    -------------------------
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

I bet they will have problems of their own, I still prefer a 250gb drive to anything on the market I dont like putting all my cats in one bag per say 1tb of data is alot to be lost in a hardware failure. 4 x 250 drives you only loose 1/4th your data
    Nick Rose -[b][url=http://www.jaguarpc.com]JaguarPC.com[/url][/b]

Helpful Links
    [URL="http://www.jaguarpc.com/support/kbase/"]Knowledge Base[/URL] | [URL="http://www.jaguarpc.com/support/status.php"]Network Status[/URL] | [URL="http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100"]Current Specials[/URL]

Need a Manager?
    [URL=http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=10985] (pm)[/url] | [email="[email protected]"](email)[/email] Tracie, Customer Service Manager
    [URL=http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=7494](pm)[/url] | [email="[email protected]"](email)[/email] Rizwan, Technical Support Manager

Rob
    The only things id use a 1tb disc for would be either backup storage or for virtual servers. I still prefer to have separate discs adding up to 1TB.

Ron
    Loyal Client
    LOL I used to have to keep data on 1GB disks rather than 4 or 9GB disks for performance. lol

10 more years from now, it'll be "Should I be using this 1PG drive, or 4 x 250TB drives for my gaming server?"
    Last edited by Ron; 01-20-2007 at 01:28 AM.
    Good luck

I don't know if this makes any sense, but since my LAN crashed, a couple of last weeks ago, I've been running off a RAM Disk. I resurrected my Seagate HD, but had to split up my striped Maxtor drives, 'cause one of them had bad sectors, and didn't trust the array any longer. Then I lost interest...

I sit here and totally forget I'm running off a 256MB USB stick and RAM Disk. I really cannot tell the difference...

I guess these huge disk arrays are okay, except when they crash, but I'm seeing less n' less of a NEED for them. I think it's become more of a WANT, at this point.

It used to be that every time I upgraded drives, I would have them filled up in a short time, but that hasn't happened in recent memory, no pun intended.

So, I think I'll be saying, "No thanks!" to huge storage devices in the future.
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

|| $name ne 'R.Stiltskin'
    Heh. What a coincidence. I'll be putting together a Hardware RAID Apache server this weekend (probably) as my new pair of 36.7GB U320 SCSI drives arrives in a few hours. Yep! You read that right... 36.7 big ones.

Terabytes?! No one will ever need that much space. I mean you might as well say a kagillion jillion bytes!

I should go back to SCSI...

These integrated drives, et al, have always sucked (pricing aside) and they're getting worse!
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Smo
    Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Spathiphyllum View Post
    Terabytes?! No one will ever need that much space. I mean you might as well say a kagillion jillion bytes!
    Sounds almost like something Bill Gates stated back in the day..
    "No one will ever need more than 640k of internal link memory"

Quote Originally Posted by Vin DSL View Post
    I should go back to SCSI...

These integrated drives, et al, have always sucked (pricing aside) and they're getting worse!
    Several of my rules of harddrives with current tech:
    Never place data I cannot afford to lose on a disk that, by design, has only a three year warranty.
    Never place data I cannot afford to lose on a single disk.
    Never consider price/GB the limiting factor on disks containing data I cannot afford to lose.

I have older spec SCSIs that are still running strong. Newer model IDEs have already come and, sadly, gone. Fat lot of good that extra space did on a dead drive that is too expensive to scour now for data retrieval. All that extra space did was drive up the repair bill. Also, SATA doesn't outperform my older SCSI... at least not that I can tell from real world applications. They certainly won't beat my new "old" SCSI's and their 5ms Seek Time and 3ms Latency.

Nope. I'm now a SCSI zealot. Not a RAID zealot yet, but definitely a SCSI one.

Quote Originally Posted by Smo
    Sounds almost like something Bill Gates stated back in the day..
    "No one will ever need more than 640k of internal link memory"
    Not almost like, exactly like... almost. I was channeling Bill. And one of the Austin Powers movies. And didn't Gates use "kagillion jillion", too? My memory is a bit foggy.

I was just looking around, and SCSI drives are cheap enough these days. However, one of the reasons I gave up on them, back when, was because the *new* cards were getting so expensive.

What's the sweet spot, these days? I'm having a hard time finding them...

Ron
    Loyal Client
    I think tha the problem with the lower price point of the hardware is that the hardware has become cheap.

The disks are ok since they are in a redundant array, but the controller cards are crappola.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Vin DSL
    I was just looking around, and SCSI drives are cheap enough these days. However, one of the reasons I gave up on them, back when, was because the *new* cards were getting so expensive.

What's the sweet spot, these days? I'm having a hard time finding them...
    I haven't shopped recently for one so I couldn't comment. The one I'm about to use is an older Mylex that I picked up from www.geeks.com. This link is for the hard disk but they aren't carrying any SCSI cards at the moment. They usually carry discounted components and an occasional steal. The Mylex was one such theft on my part from several months ago. I'm only now putting it to use, but I knew at the time that the discontinued model was discounted by hundreds of dollars. Adaptec's are outrageously overpriced even though they work well. My working PC has a Tekram card (DC-390U3) and it has been terrific. Not a hardware RAID but a great value even at retail.

Usually if I use Adaptec, I get it from the pricier ASUS boards with integrated chips. Again, a great product with great value considering ASUS loads up its boards with those expensive cables and terminators, too. It's not quite as good as a PCI addon board with all of the offloading from CPU inherent in the design, but ASUS makes good stuff at a small premium.

So, without doing any shopping whatsoever (), I'd look at Pricewatch.com for deals on Mylex or Tekram RAID controllers and NewEgg for retail if I can't find any and have to bite the bullet.

I wish I could offer better, timely advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Spathiphyllum View Post
    ...a great product with great value considering ASUS loads up its boards with those expensive cables and terminators, too...

So, without doing any shopping whatsoever (), I'd look at Pricewatch.com...
    OMG!!! Terminators?!?!?

I'd totally forgotten about them. LoL!

And, yeah, Pricewatch is where I was looking. I do a lot of 'shopping' for stuff over there.

Well, I'm gonna have to look into this. Thanks for rekindling my interest!