Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on DNS assistance please! in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I'm having an issue where users can sometimes get to my site and at other times they cannot. It seems hit or miss. EVERYONE can ...

DNS assistance please!

I'm having an issue where users can sometimes get to my site and at other times they cannot. It seems hit or miss. EVERYONE can always get to my site via IP address though, leading me to believe it's some sort of DNS problem.

My site is debatepolicy.com and IP is 69.73.190.190

I've had several tickets open with Jag. First my site was moved to another server, then someone said there was a slight DNS setup error, but has since been corrected. I opened one last ticket yesterday and was told all is in order, and I certainly have no reason to doubt them. But unfortunately I'm still getting emails and PM's from users that they can't get to the site, and that after several hours they can (or some can that know the IP)

I ran diags from dnsstuff.com and got a few errors that I don't understand:
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsrep...batepolicy.com

I just figured since you guys were all on Jag, and all seem knowledgeable, someone might be able to shed some light for me.

Thanks in advance!

-Jim

The problem is you have these name servers at your domain registrar

ns3.jaguarpc.net
    ns4.jaguarpc.net

while the dns zone has

ns.nocdirect.com
    ns2.nocdirect.com

Some ISPs have difficulty with that. I have corrected this for you. Please PM me this last ticket #. Thanks,
    Last edited by Robertjp; 01-21-2007 at 11:30 AM.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Masood N. [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Red"]Chief Technical Officer[/COLOR][SIZE="3"] JaguarPC.com[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by masood View Post

ns3.jaguarpc.net
    ns4.jaguarpc.net

while the dns zone has

ns.nocdirect.com
    ns2.nocdirect.com
    I can confirm that, not that it's necessary. After all, Masood is dah man!

I *guess* Masood is saying there WAS a prob with the zone files, however...

I got bored, about a month ago, and started playing around with the DNS settings at 1&1 and Dotster, for my various domains -- and the various DNS checking tools (DNSReport, Squishywishywoo, CheckDNS.net, et cetera) did NOT approve of me using ns3/ns4.jaguarpc.net...

ns.nocdirect.com
    ns2.nocdirect.com

...seems to work best on my primary account, and...

ns.nocdirect.com
    ns2.nocdirect.com
    ns3.nocdirect.com

...works best on my multi-hosted domains.
    Last edited by Robertjp; 01-21-2007 at 11:31 AM.
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Whatever dns pairs you use, its best that it matches at both domain registrar and the actual dns zone on our name servers. You can either update your dns info at the registrar or have support update the NS records in the zone to match it.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Masood N. [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Red"]Chief Technical Officer[/COLOR][SIZE="3"] JaguarPC.com[/SIZE]

Masood, Thanks much! I'm sending along the ticket number now...

Smo
    Loyal Client
    ha,
    seems like the same problem I've got. It's been well over a week since my server move and my domain names come and go at random (I also tested via my phone in case my comp was fubar)

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by masood View Post

ns3.jaguarpc.net
    ns4.jaguarpc.net

while the dns zone has

ns.nocdirect.com
    ns2.nocdirect.com
    Mmmm, same problem with us (www.zonadepruebas.com) as far as I can see, we were told to use ns3 and ns4 as name server at the domain registrar... but
    nslookup states:

Authoritative answers can be found from:
    zonadepruebas.com nameserver = ns2.nocdirect.com.
    zonadepruebas.com nameserver = ns.nocdirect.com.
    I haven't noticed any problem with this, should I drop a ticket to have dns zone changed?

Regards: Colossus
    Last edited by Robertjp; 01-21-2007 at 11:32 AM.