Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on MediaWiki? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Would it be possible for you to make MediaWiki available through the control panel? Our organization definitely has an advantage over other area nonprofits in ...

Loyal Client

MediaWiki?

Would it be possible for you to make MediaWiki available through the control panel? Our organization definitely has an advantage over other area nonprofits in that we have access to the great scripts and software made available through Jaguar. But while the two wikis that you currently make available appear functional, MediaWiki looks more professional and more robust.

I'll continue to test the two you've got up there, but my hope is you'll get MediaWiki installed real soon now.

http://www.mediawiki.org/

Thanks.

I don't think JPC has too much control over what software is installable through cPanel. The list is basically determined by the publishers of Fantastico, the auto install tool that they use.

MediaWiki is not too difficult to install on your own if you follow these instructions. If you get stuck, the community here will be willing to help you out, too.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Loyal Client
    Thanks for the reply. I hadn't realized Fantastico was separate from Jaguar. After extensive poking at TikiWiki I found a theme that mimics MediaWiki, and so far I'm happy enough with that change.

Loyal Client
    Can MediaWiki even BE installed on Jag? The system requirements for it say that it won't work if PHP is run as a CGI.

Hmmm...good question. I've installed it on another host's server for a client and it was pretty easy, but they were using mod_php. I didn't notice the PHP-CGI restriction.

A quick google search turns a bunch of hits on the topic. From the looks of things MediaWiki does some kind of Apache voodoo to handle "clean" URL's, but it looks like its not something that can't be solved by a couple of mod_rewrite rules.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Loyal Client
    I have mediawiki installed on my account (Shared). My boyfriend installed it for me, however I will ask him what, if anything special he needed to do to get it to work.

Loyal Client
    I too would like to install mediawiki on my account, but I want to make sure it's possible before I begin.

Loyal Client
    any update on this?

Where did you find that, Galen? Old info perhaps? Doesn't seem to be a problem.

I started reading the General installation info and made my way to the specifics on the PHP config, which say:
    The PHP interpreter can be run from the command line / CGI-style, or more commonly as an in-process Apache module.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

LoL!

Okay, here you go... PoC...

http://www.vindsl.com/

I outdid myself this time -- 23 minutes, start to finish!

BTW, thanks! I was looking for something to install over there...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Looks great!
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Looks great!
    Oh, course!

I'm the best...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Um...

BTW, I suppose this goes without saying, but...

While I'm on a SDX account here (Longhorn on crack), it should work for anybody. However, be aware, you need to use PHP5 to run this app!

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Can MediaWiki even BE installed on Jag?
    No problem... Kind of a cool proggie, actually!

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    The system requirements for it say that it won't work if PHP is run as a CGI.
    Works fine with PHP running as a CGI. Check the version[s]...

http://www.vindsl.com/Special:Version

Code:
        * MediaWiki: 1.9.3
        * PHP: 5.2.0 (cgi)
        * MySQL: 4.1.21-standard

[MediaWiki might be a resource hog! I'm looking into it.]
    Last edited by Ron; 02-24-2007 at 01:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast