Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on moving VPS in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I know I can add a new subdomain under the same cpanel account, but can I add a new subdomain under a new cpanel account? ...

Loyal Client

Adding subdomain to new cpanel account

I know I can add a new subdomain under the same cpanel account, but can I add a new subdomain under a new cpanel account? If so, how do I go about doing it?

Jag Veteran
    Create it in your WHM just as you would do a regular account.
    Kiet Duong
    Hosting Zoom, Inc.

Loyal Client
    As always, thanks heaps for your reply.

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by mango
    I know I can add a new subdomain under the same cpanel account, but can I add a new subdomain under a new cpanel account? If so, how do I go about doing it?
    Create it from your Cpanel and then point it to appropiate account (park it).

Regards

DEHE PR manager imported_Robert's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdel
    Create it from your Cpanel and then point it to appropiate account (park it).

Regards
    Creating it in WHM as normal is a better idea.
    Robert McGregor
    PR manager

DEHE.com - Definition of Hosting Experts

Aussie_Boy

moving VPS

You state you can move sites with no downtime -

How is this possible for dynamic sites like forums where members constantly post new topics and posts?

Also, there is the issue of propogation which also affects downtime.

I am currently hosted via a webhosting business on a VPS system (apparently just he and I on that VPS) - is there any way to easily tell what type of plan I'm on to ensure if I transfer that I get at least the same minimum plan?

Aussie_Boy
    Any experience in mx cns name changes for 3rd party email for everyone.net ?

There is absolutely no downtime.

A forum would indeed be affected though, but not by downtime. This is called 'database rollback'. Basically what we do is: we first copy over all the data and once that is done we make the dns on the 'old server' point to the new vps. This way changes take effect immediately, without any propagation, because the nameservers aren't changing (yet). The only thing is that people who have already resolved the domain name may have the old IP address in their computer's cache, which would cause that those people would end up on the old server, and people who are resolving the domain after the dns change has been made would resolve to the new vps.

There is a quite simple solution for this: after the domain has been copied over, you would have to put a http redirect on the old server to point to a temporary url on the new server (for instance http://new.ip.here/~accountname/ ). This way everyone who was already browsing your forum (and thus are still resolving to the old server) will be automatically forwarded to the new vps.

If you have root access you can see how much resources are located to you, by typing: cat /proc/user_beancounters

I don't have any experience with everyone.net
    Andre van Vliet

Aussie_Boy
    Thanks Andre

Not sure how DNS on old server would be altered as I don't have root access.

Just for future reference in regard to everyone.net in case anyone else asks about CNAME and MX changes:

http://www.everyone.net/main/html/troubleshooting.html

If you don't have access to the DNS zone it'll be harder (I assumed you did have access to it). An option would be to ask the administrator to update the DNS for you.
    Andre van Vliet

Loyal Client
    I will also be having this issue moving from a different server. The DNS is not on the server, but I do have root access to the server. The original server is using Plesk and so is my DEHE server.

I'm more concerned about email issues. Can I bounce/forward all emails for a domain when I'm ready to convert? I plan on bringing domains over one at a time instead of all domains on the server.

Yes that is certainly possible. What you would have to do is to set the old server to forward all email messages to a different email account (on a different domain). Then all email that would still end up on the old server, will be forwarded to that email address, and all email that does already reach the new server will simply end up in your inbox.

If you need any assistance with this, we can provide as much help as you need.
    Andre van Vliet