Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Tech Support ? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I really do appreciate that front line tech support is not easy and that occasionally you get asked the simplest, or silliest of questions. That ...

Just Walking...

Tech Support ?

I really do appreciate that front line tech support is not easy and that occasionally you get asked the simplest, or silliest of questions. That said, I've noticed that over the last couple of years (I've been here for a very long time) that I'm getting ever more patronising responses from support.

Every time I contact support to report a fault or problem, the first and even second responses I receive are no more than dismissals. I get patted on the head like a little child who has just said something amusing and then sent on my way. Getting things fixed requires I go through a merry dance, sometimes requiring several replies back & forth before the technician suddenly says "I've noticed that the ____ server is down, it has now been restarted"

The most recent event was my report that the FTP server is rejecting valid login details and I made it quite clear what the problem was. The response from support was to tell me that my username and password are correct .... !

Come on guys! It's simply not good enough to give stock replies to tickets instead of investigating, or to fail to read them and give meaningless answers. Please try to do better and treat your customers with a little more respect.

Please pm me your ticket #
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Masood N. [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Red"]Chief Technical Officer[/COLOR][SIZE="3"] JaguarPC.com[/SIZE]

Thank you for providing ticket #. You have been provided correct response in the very first reply. However I do see the tech did not explain the technical details of why. I have put in a response with explanation of why your ftp username is not correct.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Masood N. [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Red"]Chief Technical Officer[/COLOR][SIZE="3"] JaguarPC.com[/SIZE]

Just Walking...
    Well that was embarrassing. After getting angry, waving my extensive experience about I discover I was guilty of the very think I was accusing the Technician of - not reading what was being said.

I've now completely lost credibility and yet despite the fact that I was in fact wrong on this occasion I hope my point won't be entirely ignored. I have had the same experience in the past and on those occasions I wasn't the one in the wrong.

Still I don't know that I'll be a customer here for much longer. I'm closing one account this month as it's no longer required and I've long been considering moving the other account to a host closer to home. So maybe it really doesn't matter anyway.

No, your point has not been ignored. We take each and every complain or praise seriously to make the overall quality of service better. I have already relayed to the techs to be more clear in their response. Thank you for bringing this up.

Moved and edit the thread topic. Sorry your gonna be leaving , we'll miss ya.
    Greg Landis | Founder
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at [email protected].

Need a Manager?

(pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Larry, Customer Service Manager

Loyal Client
    HA! I went through the same thing a while ago. But I was right. 0_o

If you've been here that long this may be your first experience running tickets with so little sleep. Through a few experiences I've learned to give the techs the benefit of the doubt. Usually when there is a discrepancy in what you think is going on and the questions you're getting from support its because the cause is completely unrelated to the symptoms you're experiencing exempting causality.

Smith has kicked my very knowledgeable teeth in a couple of times simply because he was on site and had router access. x_X

Run the apology sub-routine and jump to the next thread. Getting your brain smacked around by one of the techs here can easily humble even the lowest number CCIE. ^_^
    Starving grad student fund = Domains.greypc.com ;

Loyal Client

Thumbs down

ill second that, i asked to see wether or not a mod_rewrite rule would work, after a tech replied to the support question 'i dont know what your tyring to do' so i put up what i wanted to acheive I had 2 more replies from 2 different support staff, 1 stating that they cant do the work for me, and the other tech guy replied in a simular manner.. we can do the work for you but we will charge you for it.

OK, this now really pissed me off. ALL I WANTED WAS A BLOODY ANSWER yes or no, please dont make out that I want something for free, if i wanted something for free i wouldnt be paying $200 a month for a server now would I.

end of rant...

Quote Originally Posted by deano View Post
    ill second that, i asked to see wether or not a mod_rewrite rule would work, after a tech replied to the support question 'i dont know what your tyring to do' so i put up what i wanted to acheive I had 2 more replies from 2 different support staff, 1 stating that they cant do the work for me, and the other tech guy replied in a simular manner.. we can do the work for you but we will charge you for it.

OK, this now really pissed me off. ALL I WANTED WAS A BLOODY ANSWER yes or no, please dont make out that I want something for free, if i wanted something for free i wouldnt be paying $200 a month for a server now would I.

end of rant...
    that is what these forums are for, mod_write rules are not a "support" issue really,
    -------------------------
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

Loyal Client
    The initial support ticket was to see if mod_rewrite was enabled.....

it WAS not to see if the tech would write the .thaccess file..

Loyal Client
    In you post above, you said that you asked if a mod_rewrite rule would work. That isn't the same as asking if mod_rewrite is enabled. PM Masood your ticket # and an explanation of what you think was wrong about how your issue was handled, and he can probably look into it. (He usually pops in and says to PM ticket numbers to him on things like this)

Yes, please pm me the ticket # where you asked if mod_rewrite is enabled on your server or not.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Bloke View Post
    Well that was embarrassing. After getting angry, waving my extensive experience about I discover I was guilty of the very think I was accusing the Technician of - not reading what was being said.

I've now completely lost credibility...
    Heh! Welcome to the club!

One thing I learned a LONG time ago is... nobody is perfect!!!

At least I know I'm not perfect! How about you, G.Bloke -- are you perfect?

Soooo, don't worry about it!

Secondly, it *seems* like you were frustrated, and THAT is what caused the rant IMHO -- NOT JagPC!

Another thing I learned a LONG time ago...

When YOU are frustrated, it means YOU are doing something wrong!

Put another way, if YOU become frustrated (here or elsewhere) it should set off bells and whistles! Instead of getting angry, the first thing you should be thinking is, "What am I doing wrong?" or, "How could I handle this situation better?"

Anyway, hope things work out for you! I'll miss you too!
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010