Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Okay, the latest [email protected]%# WordPress Upgrade in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I dunno... Me and WP don't seem to gel so well. I mean, normally I'm on top of upgrades BEFORE they happen, but I seem ...

Angry Okay, the latest [email protected]%# WordPress Upgrade

I dunno...

Me and WP don't seem to gel so well. I mean, normally I'm on top of upgrades BEFORE they happen, but I seem to be behind WP about 2 weeks, or so.

No problem normally!

However, on this last upgrade to version 2.2, everything got jacked -- and I mean jacked up big time!

The WP 2.2 upgrade broke EVERY theme that I have! Plus, anything and everything after the upgrade generated 404 errors...

I reverted back to 2.1.3 but the themes were still broken!

Then, magically, a couple of days ago, the themes started working again. Hello?!?!?!?

Now that it's working again, I guess I'll wait for 2.2.1 or whatever to come out, before trying to upgrade again!

Anyone else have these problems?
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

I don't use WP, but I read a couple of WP based weblogs and they all mention this problem of WP going totally bleep with the latest upgrade.

eek, not upgrading here. We use it on the jag blog.
    Greg Landis | Founder
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at [email protected].

Need a Manager?

(pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Larry, Customer Service Manager

Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Greg View Post
    eek, not upgrading here. We use it on the jag blog.
    Yeah, hold your water, Chief!

This latest 'upgrade', so called, sucks big time!!!

I'll let you guys know when the coast is clear...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Hrm...

My themes are magically broken again, even though I downgraded, and they worked yesterday.

This is too weird!

Are you guys doing something that I'm unaware of?!?!?!

Loyal Client
    From what I've read, the addition of WordPress Widgets to version 2.2 has caused a lot of themes to break.

I'm using my own custom theme, and I haven't upgraded to 2.2 yet. I think I might wait a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanB View Post
    From what I've read, the addition of WordPress Widgets to version 2.2 has caused a lot of themes to break...
    Okay, I think I got a handle on the situation, but it's a little premature...

I think *my* problem had to do with the 'theme switcher' plug-in that I was using. After all, it's French code -=- the worst PHP programmers on Earth!

Being an American hacker, I don't have a lot of time to mess around with the code today, but I'll figure it out -=- I always do...

Disabling this plug-in took care of the immediate problem, soooo the problem is with their code -=- not JagPC or WordPress.

Continuing...

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin DSL View Post
    Okay, I think *my* problem had to do with the 'theme switcher' plug-in that I was using.
    Ah yes. Plugins can be an issue at upgrade time.

I know they say you should disable all plugins, do the upgrade, and then activate them one-by-one, but I usually just turn them all on at once. I haven't had any problems so far, but maybe I should take a lesson from your experience.

It's good to know it was just the plugin, and not the upgrade. Thanks. I've got the upgrade on my list of things to do.

Just tried it again...

My site is still borked by 2.2!

Hrm...

W00T!

Just installed 2.3 and it actually works!!!

Man, I was about ready to give up on WP...

I've installed every update since the post[s] above with no luck, but 2.3 took care of all my problems!

Be aware that some on my custom themes are still broken... but nothing I care about.

The important thing is... they seemed to take care of all the nuts n' bolts bugs with WP 2.3

Put another way, I think WP is hitting on all cylinders again...

Source: http://wordpress.org/development/

1. Full and complete Atom 1.0 support, including the publishing protocol.

2. We’re using the new jQuery which is “800% faster.”

3. Behind the user-facing tags system is a really kickass taxonomy system, which adds a ton of flexibility. It’s probably the biggest schema upgrade since version 1.5.

4. The importers have been revamped to be more memory efficient, and you can now add an importer through a plugin.

5. Through hooks and filters you can now override the update system, the dashboard RSS feeds, the feed parser, and tons more than you could in 2.2.

6. The new $wpdb->prepare() way of doing SQL queries.

7. Finally there were over 351 tickets in Trac closed for this release, with over a hundred people contributing. This is the polish, the hundreds of tiny bug fixes and features that make WordPress what it is.
    Heh!

I believe it...

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin DSL View Post
    Heh!

I believe it...
    Awww heck, that's just because you're gullible and easy to please.
    Good luck

w00f!

all about nothing! Frank Broughton's Avatar
    2.2 worked flawless here and 2.3 installed over it perfect.

You have to be dumb to get these things to work!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    2.2 worked flawless here and 2.3 installed over it perfect...
    100's of (self-admitted) bugs aside...

The problem with 2.2 was it broke themes, plug-ins... the custom stuff. This isn't opinion, it's fact!

My opinion was... WP 2.2 sucked!

My opinion is... WP 2.3 rocks! Faster too...

WP 2.3 seems to be working fine with ALL of my old plug-ins (added them to the WP Wiki last night).

The themes are a different matter! These problems can be blamed on sloppy coding by the authors - tying their themes to the WP table schema’s... which they shouldn't have done!

Anyway, I said I would revisit this thread when the coast was clear, and that's what I'm doing.

Come on in, the water's fine!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast